ecm-sol fuse keeps blowing.

rickyracer01

has anyone else had this issue with this fuse blowing? as soon as i put this fuse in it pop. guessing it's a short somewhere.

The ECM/SOL fuse powers a lot of ECM controlled devices. It is a pink/black wire that runs to these:

TCC brake switch, then on to TCC solenoid
EGR controller
Wastegate solenoid
Canister purge solenoid
coolant fan delay relay
A/C cutout relay

The ECM/SOL wire for these devices runs all over the engine bay. So it may be chaffed through and shorted someplace. Or, one of the relays or solenoids are shorted. One trick to troubleshooting this is to replace the fuse with a small 194 light bulb. Then key-on, engine-off, and unplug each of the above until the light turns off. That will be the bad component.

If the light never turns off then the wire is shorted to ground someplace.

RemoveBeforeFlight

ok so i did what the first poster said and unplug the ecu.. fuse did not blow but as soon as i put the ecu on. fuse blown again. so i looked at the diagram like the above poster said, that fuse controls a lot of different things. i don't have the electronic waste gate controller anymore and the plug is put away. canister purge is also gone and the plug is put away. i did noticed that i unplugged the EGR control solenoid and the fuse has not yet blown. been driving the car today and got home, checked the fuse and still fine. now check engine light is on throwing code 15 which is the plug i took off from the EGR. might need to eliminate it when i order my new chip for the car.

lay under the car and look up at the steering column. The screws that hold the column to the firewall are pointed and one of them hits the wiring harness right where it forks.

Years ago when I had this same problem the fix was to back the screw out and cut off the point. Over time it managed to pierce the insulation and at oddball times it would blow that same fuse.

I'm in 67 or flamingo road if you want bring your car and I will let you try another ECM.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app