E85

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
Any guys here racing with E85 Gas in the Stage Motors?
With or without Alky Injecton?

Thanks,
Joe

Previous owner of my GN twin turbo car was running e85. Was running bottom 9s leaving soft and keeping boost right around low 20's. Stock ecm, coil pack, and module. 160lb injectors and a big weldon pump.

Thanks for the info. I am on the E85 section right now and checking all the posts to get some knowledge
on this.

Joe

Its good stuff. I ran it in my old daily GN too. 60's and a TT e85 chip. Ran 18-22 psi safely and it was great. E85 is a different animal for sure. My next GN SII build is going to be e85.

My only problem is that I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get some.
I will try it out for sure.

Oooh, that sucks... Maybe order some to be shipped to the house? Or if you have a race car shop nearby that deals with VP or another race fuel they can add a barrel to their order? I daily drove mine on e85 because it was close (only 2 miles out of my way) and it was waaaaaay cheaper than 91. If I drove normal, yes my tank ran out quicker (maybe 15-20%) but I think the lower price made it worth it (even if just barely), but the big benefit was the ability to increase boost and more aggressive timing maybe. The low end grunt on e85 was noticably better. If running XFI with a fuel sensor, and running e85, I would think the XFI's ability to control things better would net pretty good economy, and not "use 25-30% more fuel" as normally thought with e85. This is just an assumption though, with no experience with XFI yet.

Had my Stage 2 car on it for almost two years now. Had an issue with the fuel eating up a dual copper pickup in the tank...Thought it may be an issue, but decided to try it anyways. Within a year, the fuel ate away the 1/2" tubing. Debris was too fine for the filter to catch. Injectors caught it instead...Knew I had an issue when the car was calling for alot more fuel. Had Chuck clean the injectors and it's been fine since. Also, have a LS converted T that has been on the corn for almost 4 years. No teflon coated lines...Aeromotive Stealth intank and -8 line to the rail. V6 car runs 6.0's in the 1/8th...LS converted car runs 6.60's. Have purposely left E85 in the tank in the LS car, two winters in a row...No problems to speak of. Good fuel..No way I would switch back.

Only other problem I have had is lighting the fuel off in the V6 car...Igntion is stock. Tries to blow the spark out above 25psi running an AR3932 plug at .015 gap. Currently, addressing that issue. Not sure how I'm going to go about it...Distributor is probably the way to go, but I'm trying to stay with more of a stock look.

Had my Stage 2 car on it for almost two years now. Had an issue with the fuel eating up a dual copper pickup in the tank...Thought it may be an issue, but decided to try it anyways. Within a year, the fuel ate away the 1/2" tubing. Debris was too fine for the filter to catch. Injectors caught it instead...Knew I had an issue when the car was calling for alot more fuel. Had Chuck clean the injectors and it's been fine since. Also, have a LS converted T that has been on the corn for almost 4 years. No teflon coated lines...Aeromotive Stealth intank and -8 line to the rail. V6 car runs 6.0's in the 1/8th...LS converted car runs 6.60's. Have purposely left E85 in the tank in the LS car, two winters in a row...No problems to speak of. Good fuel..No way I would switch back.

Only other problem I have had is lighting the fuel off in the V6 car...Igntion is stock. Tries to blow the spark out above 25psi running an AR3932 plug at .015 gap. Currently, addressing that issue. Not sure how I'm going to go about it...Distributor is probably the way to go, but I'm trying to stay with more of a stock look.

^^^^See above. You'd be amazed what the Silverado coil will put out and only TR guys will ever know it's not stock. They'll need to be looking for it.

Yea, I'm considering that as well...Need to send Bob an email or PM.

interesting about not being able to light off the E85.. I hadn't heard that before (not researched much).. Have you tried a different plug? did you get detonation? and was the stock setup able to light off race gas at high boost before? I'm about to make the conversion myself soon.

E85 is harder to light thus showing weak ignition setups sooner then a regular gas setup would

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

E85 is harder to light thus showing weak ignition setups sooner then a regular gas setup would

How does it compare to race gas in that regard assuming boost is the same between the two but closer to 30psi than 20psi?

TIA

From my experience I went from c16 and alky to e85/e98 and it seems like it's harder to light. Could just be my cars but that's my take

From my experience I went from c16 and alky to e85/e98 and it seems like it's harder to light. Could just be my cars but that's my take

Thanks for the info. I'm very interested in the science behind this.

I converted a stock long block low 11 sec car. It is running 27psi with no issues plug gap is .030. My car was done at 23psi with the plugs at .015 and a crane ignition box with a distributor. Another low 9 sec car with factory ignition could only get 21psi. I am putting together a 272" stage 2 right now, it will have 8 sec power at 25psi. We will see how far the stock ignition will go. I am also putting together an iron headed 109 shooting for 9s. We will be testing the limits at different power levels.

I converted a stock long block low 11 sec car. It is running 27psi with no issues plug gap is .030. My car was done at 23psi with the plugs at .015 and a crane ignition box with a distributor. Another low 9 sec car with factory ignition could only get 21psi. I am putting together a 272" stage 2 right now, it will have 8 sec power at 25psi. We will see how far the stock ignition will go. I am also putting together an iron headed 109 shooting for 9s. We will be testing the limits at different power levels.

When it gives up, I'd be interested to see how a tr6 box and Silverado coil does in comparison. If you ship it, I'd probably let you try mine if you promise to return it to me in working order.

I might hit you up on that offer. The stage 2 car should be a go in the spring for dyno tuning. We were already talking about doing the TR6, it might just get one $ permitting. I am hoping the 9 sec car will get by with the stock ignition, it should be done this fall. I am up to my elbows in Buicks right now, between customer cars, friends' cars, and my Cadillac. I have had someone else's car in my garage since summer of 2012.
E85 rules. I have had 2 trouble free years in my car. I have been storing the E85 since this spring, it sits in the tank, all winter, no problems. The car will sit 2 weeks, I feel like driving it to work, hit the key and go. I have a station right by my work.

I might hit you up on that offer. The stage 2 car should be a go in the spring for dyno tuning. We were already talking about doing the TR6, it might just get one $ permitting. I am hoping the 9 sec car will get by with the stock ignition, it should be done this fall. I am up to my elbows in Buicks right now, between customer cars, friends' cars, and my Cadillac. I have had someone else's car in my garage since summer of 2012.
E85 rules. I have had 2 trouble free years in my car. I have been storing the E85 since this spring, it sits in the tank, all winter, no problems. The car will sit 2 weeks, I feel like driving it to work, hit the key and go. I have a station right by my work.
So you rather run E85 on a race car than going Pump Gas and Alky?