E85 No Intercooler

87chrisss

BLUBYU
Is the intercooler really needed when E85 is being used?

PART_1357791317701.jpeg

PART_1357791316633.jpeg

plog.JPG

Wow! That screen shot of the powerlogger looks like it answers your question! Bison told me this one time; not that i didn't believe him, just didn't have the nuggets to try it!

Only funny thing is your tps seems low at 3.79.....is that at wot?

Yea its my damn floor mat always does the same chit. I gotta get rid of the floor mats. BTW im testing no intercooler vs PTE fmic. I will slap on the front mount this weekend and do some logged testing to compare log files.

put a iat sensor in the plenum and log it with the powerlogger. is it needed no, would i remove it no.

It's going to max out the IAT i think it would be worthless putting that on. @ 25 psi that turbo is pumping out HEAT!

Boost231 said:
put a iat sensor in the plenum and log it with the powerlogger. is it needed no, would i remove it no.

He would need a thermocouple. At 30psi I'd expect 450-475*

Yes actually i check the plugs when i was @ 23psi and the looked good but after that i started adding alot of fuel since i was going up on boost without the intercooler. Then i just parked it and started reviewing some of the logs.. @ 27+ psi my 1st street run i got some KR between 2-3 shift @ around 5k rpm based on the file the the KR was @ .08 which is under 1KR and it then dropped. Seems it was just the 2-3 shift but by the time i saw the KR i had let off i dont like to play with any knock.

Looks like you were in 3rd gear. Flash is about 4600. I'd throw a lot more boost at it and dial back the timing a couple degrees.

Looks like you were in 3rd gear. Flash is about 4600. I'd throw a lot more boost at it and dial back the timing a couple degrees.

A lot more? Like how much?

And 87chrisss....what is the set up on the car?

Also I get a lot of .7 knock blips too on the shifts. Lowering my boost didn't make it stop so I just chalked it up as false knock.

Rafs-T-Type said:
A lot more? Like how much?

And 87chrisss....what is the set up on the car?

Also I get a lot of .7 knock blips too on the shifts. Lowering my boost didn't make it stop so I just chalked it up as false knock.
Based on his converter design and flash stall he has quite a bit more room. Cylinder pressure isnt anywhere near the limit on the current tune. It's probably tickling 500hp right now. He wants to run into the 6's in the eighth. He's going to needs another 40-50hp to get it done. So it looks like about 30psi with the current setup to get it done. If the e85 he has is indeed 85% ethanol or close to it there's a lot of playing room.

Setup is exactly how it came from stock, stock heads, stock TTY head bolts, heads never been off the car sporting an old stock cam, stock nylon timing gear, stock intake, stock header's.. I still got stock springs on the car :cool: ! Why? I'm going to run a high 6 second run on a true stock car. Only boltons, Full weight AC/Heat.. Cruise Control, A REAL 10 sec STOCK Turbo Buick. Bison gave me a projection on what i can achieve and im shooting for it. And i got a bit carried away with just testing non intercooled & e85. Wasnt really my goal but it's actually showing me some really interesting things about the cooling of this fuel.

87chrisss said:
Setup is exactly how it came from stock, stock heads, stock TTY head bolts, heads never been off the car sporting an old stock cam, stock nylon timing gear, stock intake, stock header's.. I still got stock springs on the car :cool: ! Why? I'm going to run a high 6 second run on a true stock car. Only boltons, Full weight AC/Heat.. Cruise Control, A REAL 10 sec STOCK Turbo Buick. Bison gave me a projection on what i can achieve and im shooting for it. And i got a bit carried away with just testing non intercooled & e85. Wasnt really my goal but it's actually showing me some really interesting things about the cooling of this fuel.

You will need a tall tire to keep the revs down out the back.

i run a iat for my xfi. would be curious to see how fast the temp rises compared to mine. mine maxes 255 pretty quick. i have broken a few as well. time to put in the water temp. sensor instead. also if i get a chance i will get a thermocoupler so i can see the real temp. i will log it with the xfi

Boost231 said:
i run a iat for my xfi. would be curious to see how fast the temp rises compared to mine. mine maxes 255 pretty quick. i have broken a few as well. time to put in the water temp. sensor instead. also if i get a chance i will get a thermocoupler so i can see the real temp. i will log it with the xfi
it should max out within a sec if the sensor is right at the compressor outlet.

yup. how ever ive never melted the sensor. the heat and shock of the air keeps killing the internals. time to get another egt prob ordered and data log temps. when i was spraying alky it would almost make it down the 1/4 mile before maxing out

Boost231 said:
yup. how ever ive never melted the sensor. the heat and shock of the air keeps killing the internals. time to get another egt prob ordered and data log temps. when i was spraying alky it would almost make it down the 1/4 mile before maxing out

Once that alky hits the compression stroke it boils and pulls out a tremendous amount of heat.