E85 deposit

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
While doing my HG sunday I observed that the fuel leaves quite a bit of crap behind. Anyone else find this? I know its corn based therefore you would have glucose, but man it leaves scammer crap in the head ports, and leaves quite a bit of carbon deposit on the piston surface. Wish I would have snapped some images but had to get the head torqued down and ran out of time.

I guess run E85 injector cleaner? Any other thoughts or experiences?

The goo! The goo in a known issue with many theories on the matter, but no one seems to have a provable cause. If you google E85 Goo you'll find all kinds of stuff to read. It seems to only happen to some people in some locations in all kinds of different cars. I would make sure to check out your injectors and fuel filter.

point taken, I will examine the filter and I have the injectors out, nothing too out of the ordinary there. I wonder if under heat it turns into goo. then combusted it turns into a bit of carbon. Nothing in the headers as carbon though, clean as a whistle.

ill have to do some more research in ways to keep the goo at a min.

There's a hypothesis out there that e85 mixed with oil causes it. Do you have oil anywhere in the intake, or have you had that problem? Catch can(s) installed?

I'm considering a pcv delete for that reason as it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my belief. It's sticky oil from the PCV system more than anything.... I deleted the PCV long ago and just run some low restriction open breathers.
Carbon on the piston is normal too, either with gas or e85.

In my area we have a lot of E85 availability. Some stations have crystal clear product, others have a light brown tint. I will run either, but I tend towards the clear product with at least 80% ethanol just to stay consistent I Also use the green lucas ethanol stabilizer fairly consistently.

yea, I was having a conversation about some oil blow by, and I do have this issue, so will be eliminating the PCV soon.