HEADGASKET PARANOIA Smoke & Coolant temp.

Luke

Hey guys,

I just finished my first head gasket job. I used RJC Bullet Proof Head gaskets (.030 thicknesses) with ARP Head Studs. I was very meticulous about doing the job as perfectly as possible. I ran the car and drove it around for about 15 minutes.

I'm having two questions/problems:

1.) My scanmaster is showing sky high coolant temps that do not match up with my Autometer water temperature gauge. My Autometer got up to about 150-160 but my scanmaster CLT erratically climbed up to 260! I freaked out, killed the motor and checked to see if my engine had drank a nice tall radiator of coolant but the coolant level was fine. The radiator was not over boiling I even tried touching the radiator and it wasn't really all that hot. I think I probably have an air pocket in my intake manifold. Is this possible? What can I do about it?

2.) This may be normal or my own paranoia but when I started the car up I got a lot of white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I should note that the car had been sitting for a while so I wiped some oil in the cylinder walls to be safe before I put the engine back together and I used a lot of carbon cleaner to clean the piston heads. The white smoke almost totally disappeared I watched it idle and saw a few puffs of smoke every now and then. Is it normal for a car to smoke so much after this kind of job?

Details about the install:

-I cleaned the block surface with medium (red) resurfacing pads and lacquer thinner after cleaning all of the carbon off of the tops of each piston.
-Stock heads magnafluxed, resurfaced (.010 or less), given a full valve job, and hot tanked. I then pained them black with high temp black ceramic paint.
-Intake resurfaced mating surfaces, EGR tower plugged, All plenum bolt holes were "heal-a-coiled or helicoiled". I painted it with high temp aluminum ceramic paint and installed an EGR Block off plate.
-Due to the difference in gasket thickness and the resurfacing of the head I bought a set of new pushrods that are .040 shorter than the original.
-I'm using an OEM style intake manifold gasket.
-Soaked studs, nuts, and washers in brake cleaner before use.
-Hand tightened ARP Studs into Block with Loctite 567.
-Used assembly lube on washers and nuts for studs.
-Used RJC Torque specs / sequence (10 ft/lbs increments up to 50 ft/lbs, 5 ft/lbs increments to 85 ft/lbs.
-Oiled rockers and rocker shaft before reinstalling valve covers.

After I was finished I unplugged the ECM power and let the starter crank for a good 20 seconds to get some oil in the system. Then it fired up on the first try.

Scanmaster numbers are all great except coolant. Engine sounds better seems to run smoother than ever.
INT 128 bounces above and below
BLMS 128
16 In/Hg Vacuum

I'd jack the front of the car up and take the radiator cap off and start the car and let it run for a few minutes and see if you get any bubbles in the filler neck. It sounds like you most likely did a fine job with your mechanical work, so I'd also suggest replacing the temperature sending unit that goes to the ecu. It sounds like you probably don't have any big problems.

u may have had an air pocket, or bad sendor not sure. but to eliminate the air pocket or most of it atleast, start the car with cap off and fill radiator near top, then once the car hits 170 the thermostat should open up and u will see the fluid in the radiator start to lower and fluid coming out of the tubes in the radiator. that is when u will top the fluid and cap it off. a little trick to fill it up even more is to raise the rpms while the stat is open and u will get a little more fluid in aswell! hth

Sensor

I'm going to go pick up a water temperature sensor today and try the coolant tricks you guys mentioned and see what happens.

What do you guys think about the smoke that came from the tailpipe? Nothing to worry about?

Thanks guys!

if u used alot of solvents and stuff i would imagine it would burn off and come out the tailpipe for alittle. sometimes u might just be seeing condesation coming out the tailpipe, depends on the weather for my car! ive also found with my car that it likes to smoke on startup sometimes and it seems to be related to when i take short drives in the car and it doesnt get fully warmed up before i shut it off!

I'd jack the front of the car up and take the radiator cap off and start the car and let it run for a few minutes and see if you get any bubbles in the filler neck. It sounds like you most likely did a fine job with your mechanical work, so I'd also suggest replacing the temperature sending unit that goes to the ecu. It sounds like you probably don't have any big problems.

x2

Plugged Maybe?

Could the radiator need to be rodded out?

Typically if you have a few years on a radiator, they have been known to
plug up. :confused:

Be sure & open heater water valve (temp control lever to hot) to vent heater too. You may have cracked your ECM temp sensor as it's very vulnerable when wrenching in the area...

It's a new aluminum radiator less than a year old and all clean inside. Heater/AC removed.

Didn't get a chance to work on the car because of rain tonight so it'll have to wait for now...

Condensation...

What were the weather conditions when you ran it? Cold damp weather will generate a good amount of gray/silver/white steam/water vapor out of the tailpipes on ANY vehicle.

If the temps were low and air damp, I wouldn't worry, unless the white smoke was truly a solid white puff like a cotton ball....

Once you're sure all air is purged from the system, track coolant levels to see if any has gone missing.

All is well... for now.

Ok I checked my scanmaster this morning and found the temp was 65 (Ok). I wiggled the connector for the temp sensor and checked it again. This time it was 120??? I tried to reconnect it is stayed 120. It was a bad sensor. I replaced it, problem solved.

The coolant levels stay at the same level and smoke from the tailpipes goes away after the car warms up. It has been cold and damp the last few weeks. I never really paid any attention to this before the head gaskets were replaced. Just my own paranoia there.

I did a retorque tonight, changed the oil, and put the boost back where it belongs. This car feels better than ever! Thanks for all of you help.