E85 and Alky kit?

CGASTON

So is anyone running E85 and also alky kit? If so I would be interested in talking. What are the pros and cons?

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

Prolly not correct me if im wrong but the whole purpose of running E85 is so you dont need an alky kit or $8-$16 a gallon o2 sensor killing race fuel....My buddy ran 31lbs of boost on e85 in a gn with no knock .....no alky reds double pumper....

Are you thinking about the Alky kit for suplemental fuel?
Those injectors seem small for E85 and your turbo.

Are you thinking about the Alky kit for suplemental fuel?
Those injectors seem small for E85 and your turbo.

X2 the alky kit seems to be a bandaid for not enough injector. sell the alky kit and injectors and buy injectors of the correct size for application..... one less thing to go bad and cause catastrophic failure.

your engine combo is very similar to mine. I would go at least 120's

I would still think there would be at least some benefit to still running an alky kit to get intake temps down and intake density up. You may not need alky for octane anymore, but maybe run a smaller nozzle and still enjoy the charge cooling effects of alky. We run alky on my Dad's TPI car and it didn't need the octane but it REALLY helps with the intake air temps and density. It runs EXACTLY the same in 100 degree heat as it does at 40 degrees.

I don't have an alky kit.... Just want to hear everyones thoughts and experience with the setup.

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

hi just have a few ?s on e85 and alky i am just putting my moter together and what is better e85 or alky what do u need to run e85 i do have a brand new alky kit still in the box car is going to be driven mostly street .thanks in advance

Prolly not correct me if im wrong but the whole purpose of running E85 is so you dont need an alky kit or $8-$16 a gallon o2 sensor killing race fuel....My buddy ran 31lbs of boost on e85 in a gn with no knock .....no alky reds double pumper....

Yes from my understanding this is from what I have heard!

E85 requires at least 80lbs injectors and E85 chip. Alky just needs to be installed. E85 has been said to be 99-114 octane. No one can actually determine it. But I do believe that it has to be high since you are able to run 25+ boost and not detonate. Then again, I hear the same with alky kit. It is like apples and oranges. Both are good but each have there own + n -.......,

I would not recomend using alky ! That's just me, but then again I'm all pro efi ! And yes you can determine the rate on e-85 ! Called a sensor, and will read what the rate is..

Yes... I know that there is a sensor that tells the ethanol content (http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml).... Again it doesnt identify the octane content....

Yes... I know that there is a sensor that tells the ethanol content (http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml).... Again it doesnt identify the octane content....

I thought jason figured it out, my bad! foot in mouth!

I am just concern with a few things doing this . It's like playing russian roulete! I wish Larry Prebbis, or Jason from Pro-Efi could shed some more light on this combo. My gut is saying no, for few reasons!

BEATAV8 said:
I run both. Never removed the alky kits after switching to E85.

Do you have any issues or see an advantage. What is your setup?

Do you have any issues or see an advantage. What is your setup?

I have one car with a stock motor and a TA 49. It has an SMC kit on it. That car can run so much boost that it doesn't make sense to turn it up any higher. 32 psi without any detonation / KR. But it's only a ~500HP car.

I have another car which is built much more, aluminum heads, roller cam, 67mm compressor, dual fuel pumps with E85 and a Razor kit. I'm still working out the bugs on this one seeing some strange things, something isn't right just yet. Trying different spark plugs and different air/fuel ratios right now. Not even using the Alky just yet.

I have one car with a stock motor and a TA 49. It has an SMC kit on it. That car can run so much boost that it doesn't make sense to turn it up any higher. 32 psi without any detonation / KR. But it's only a ~500HP car.

I have another car which is built much more, aluminum heads, roller cam, 67mm compressor, dual fuel pumps with E85 and a Razor kit. I'm still working out the bugs on this one seeing some strange things, something isn't right just yet. Trying different spark plugs and different air/fuel ratios right now. Not even using the Alky just yet.

Wow!

So I think thank my combo will make power and if I run alky then even better. I just have to add/subtract fuel low/mid/high rpms.

Ive heard of guys running e85 that have had to remove the 160 degree thermostat because the intake charge is so cold that it takes the engine forever to warm up....Think about it top alcohol cars running 100 percent ethanol idling in the pits have frost on the intake!!! Build your fuel system right and go...I have 83 lbs injectors according to turbo tweak they are good for mid tens on the corn, which is my eventual goal.... If you can run 32 lbs of boost with no detonation what is the purpose of adding anything else? From what ive been told youll throw all the rods out of you engine before you detonate e85....