Dyno tune@Bushur's

Well, since we all know it might be hard to get the car to 60', what mph do you want to see? I just bolted on a set of 28.5x10.5 slicks. I am going to run those first. I will try the radials later in the night. Going from the same dyno, the same day, and using the calculators you are holding so dearly, my car made 117more rwhp than a car that ran 9.8@141. The calculators put my car 10 more mph. My car is 200lbs lighter too. A Mustang dyno isn't very gererous. That is why dyno numbers are for tuning and bench racing.I am not touching the boost. I was able to get 28psi out of it with an RJC boost controller. I will add that after I run at 25psi. The biggest problem with Norwalk is getting runs in on a Friday night. I might get 10, I might get 2. It all depends on how busy, and how many cars oil the track down.

I want to see an 8 second slip.......mph in the 150+ area:)

I am shooting for 8's. Cal said it should go 8's if I can get the radials to hook. I have no boost controller, so not being able to ramp in the boost is going to be tough on a drag radial. I have a set of 28.5x10.5 Phoenix slicks I can borrow just in case. I would like to do it on the radials, the way I drive it on the street.

FWIW, an EVO that runs low 9's, high 8's and traps in the 150's, full weight car put down 730's on this dyno.

I think I would lose that arm wrestling match, Coach. I will try to keep it rubber down and between the guard rails.
Sounds a little ambitious but who am I to say. FWIW, I put down 900+ @ 30# and just made it into the 8's. And I would say I'm making about 100 HP more than my dyno runs since I made more changes and ran more conservative timing. I'm also a little heavier.

Allan G.

norbs hit it on the head..... 150 is a good round number that I think would equate to enough power in a regal to go 8's....... MPH is the best indicator of true HP we have.....and it doesn't seem to be off significantly when the 60's aren't there. The ET goes down the tube quick with poor 60' times... but the MPH is generally there if you are making the power.

I also think your exhaust pressure will probably start really climbing when you get to 30 psi.... to the point the power won't pickup much with each extra lb of boost.

hp calc.jpg
Actually the MPH is a calculated number based on the time from last 66' feet, this is why you can have a quick et and have a low mph when cars break....Even if you spin and let off a few times and floor it on the top end your mph won;t be off as much as you think if the top end runs strong.. You have your work cut out for you...If you do it you will either way the track officials are going to go ballistic on you...for not meeting safety requirements...:oops: it could get ugly. Here is a chart I found could help you out..Interesting note the 76-68 turbo 3 bolt is rated for 950 hp at the motor if we take 15% off this supports 807 RWHP. At 3400 lbs you will have to put out more HP than the turbo can support to run 150 mph.

Norbs, I respectfully disagree about the MPH calculated from the 1000 ft and 1320 ft timers.

I think they have 2 sets of sensors at the finish line. I think they might be 60' apart. It is my understanding they use these two sesnors. I've been to plenty of tracks with no 1000 ft timer and still get a trap speed.

I respectfully agree with you. You are correct I am not.............this is how its done, sorry for the error,..........

Top Speed is measured through a SPEED TRAP covering the final 66 feet (20 m) to the finish line, indicating the approximate maximum speed of the vehicle during the run.

View attachment 166321 Actually the MPH is a calculated number based on the time from last 66' feet, this is why you can have a quick et and have a low mph when cars break....Even if you spin and let off a few times and floor it on the top end your mph won;t be off as much as you think if the top end runs strong.. You have your work cut out for you...If you do it you will either way the track officials are going to go ballistic on you...for not meeting safety requirements...:oops: it could get ugly. Here is a chart I found could help you out..Interesting note the 76-68 turbo 3 bolt is rated for 950 hp at the motor if we take 15% off this supports 807 RWHP. At 3400 lbs you will have to put out more HP than the turbo can support to run 150 mph.

Nice chart. Thanks for posting.

View attachment 166321 Actually the MPH is a calculated number based on the time from last 66' feet, this is why you can have a quick et and have a low mph when cars break....Even if you spin and let off a few times and floor it on the top end your mph won;t be off as much as you think if the top end runs strong.. You have your work cut out for you...If you do it you will either way the track officials are going to go ballistic on you...for not meeting safety requirements...:oops: it could get ugly. Here is a chart I found could help you out..Interesting note the 76-68 turbo 3 bolt is rated for 950 hp at the motor if we take 15% off this supports 807 RWHP. At 3400 lbs you will have to put out more HP than the turbo can support to run 150 mph.

That chart seems to agree with my calculations and results. Based on that, I'm making over 1000 RWHP and is what I suspected. My actual calculation (not from this chart) was 1020 RWHP.

Allan G.

Been keeping an eye on the weather for friday evening...Looks like a 60% chance of rain around 3pm and that drops to 40% by 6pm...I'll be there to see how this goes...

Been keeping an eye on the weather for friday evening...Looks like a 60% chance of rain around 3pm and that drops to 40% by 6pm...I'll be there to see how this goes...
Great keep a close eye on his 60' times.....I think the only way to improve them is to use the XFI with traction control if he has the option:)

I want to see an 8 second slip.......mph in the 150+ area:)
Hope It does not rain........waiting on results.. Wonder what Bison's opinion of your 8 sec goal is?

Ya that sucks....Waited for them for them to dry the track they called cars back to the staging lanes and within 5 minutes it started raining...

I guess norbs will have a sleepless weekend. I probably won't get to the track until the fall. Hope you can get some sleep until then. The biggest issue is getting runs in without getting kicked out. It will take practice launching, and shifting as well. I have only been to the track 1 time in the last 3 years. I can drive, I lived at the track from 12 to 25, but my car finds itself apart for lengths of time when doing upgrades.
I already posted what a car ran from the dyno the same day, and the chart is not even close. Dyno numbers are for tuning.
As far as my turbo not being enough, tell every TSM racer that has run 150+ they don't have enough. Red Armstrong has gone 152 in TSE trim with the same turbo at less than 30psi with a 3.8 block, and more weight. Our engines have alot in common otherwise.:) BTW his car doesn't match your chart on a dynojet with the converter locked.

The chart has a 15% drivetrain loss built in. I did not sleep well, but that is due to welding stage 2 headers all weekend.........:). I will wait until fall and we can continue this thread..

Just got back from street car night. First pass off the trailer, while building boost, I rolled the beams at 5psi, so went with it. Once it hit full boost, it went alittle sideways, and I hit the 6700rpm rev limiter:
1.44 60'
5.94@119.5 1/8 mile
9.24@148.3 1/4 mile
This is the way the car was dynoed, 25.2lbs boost. Car weighs 3415lbs with me in it confirmed tonight.
Next pass, after the launch, it started breaking up. I will have to check the log tomorrow. I think I have a random connection problem. I had a check engine light come on last Friday, and some hesitation. After shutting the car off then putting the laptop on, whatever the problem was went away, and the car had been running great all weekend. Still runs and drives fine.
I think the rolling out made the tires spin, never loaded the suspension. I did get one run in last Friday, went 1.41 60' off 6 psi. It spun slightly, pulled the tires, then spun again. I think It needed more boost to keep the suspension loaded after the roll out, it was leaving on converter rpm, then unloaded during spool up. I aborted the run before the 1/8. Trying not to draw attention to myself.

Yep, at Norwalk. Wednesday night is now called fun night. There are no lane assignments in the staging lanes during time trials. The last Wednesday night I was at years ago, slick cars went in lanes 1 and 2, and they sprayed before those cars went down. Temps were in the mid 80's. I waited for first round of eliminations, sun went down, temps in the 60's, and they sprayed for the slick cars.