dryer-duct cold air kit?

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
is it possible to go to home depot and get dryer duct, and put the filter down behind the head lights? i am thinking of doing that, i think it would be better for my car. because according to my scanmaster my intake air tempature is over 130. so i figure any thing i can do to help would be good.

-Neil

Thought about it

I thought about doing that but ended up using sewer pipe instead, it's amazing how many Buick Parts Home Depot has. - BB:D

I did that on one of my camaro's and it worked fine. Make sure you buy the heavey duty kind because the weaker ones could tear or collapse.

:(

DRYER DUCT on a GN? I hope you're joking. Where's the class? Leave the dryer ducts for ricers. I can't knock the sewer pipe parts though, I use a pvc pipe coupler to hold up up-pipe on. Two of them even! Got them at lowe's. Tight fit, but they work great.

Dryer duct??

The OEM duct was far from being dryer stuff... Buy one new and you will see..
The dryer $hit can, as mentioned, collapse, usually at the bends.
Convoluted tube like that creates serious turbulence in the air stream.
FWIW, I made some tests on a blower F-body.. hard tubing vs "dryer duct" type $hit supplied by the blower mfgr.. 19HP difference.. and it was not collapsed, just poor flow...

As for "ricer".. that's exactly where that stuff...belongs...:eek: :eek:

PS: Fun costs money.. doubt Mark, or any other vendor, has shipped free cold air kits lately..:D :D

I'm with Chuck and Mark.

Hooking a K&N on the end of a flexible tube is asking for erratic MAF reading with zero gain in performance.

That is what happened when Idid that now I use the big mouth cold air induction system and went from 107deg to 82deg air temp in stop and go traffic.

On a side note...why not put the MAT sensor in the intake or upper plenum where it will see real air temps AFTER it has been through the intercooler instead of it being in the air filter?

Nothing wrong with that, if your chip is calibrated for it. On the stock PROM there is only very minor correction to fueling based on the IAT temperature anyway. It's basically there to tell if it's winter or summer.

Mark..i'll take 1000 of em. Let me know what day I can drive up to pick them up.;) :D

something else to think about.....the straightest shot into the turbo is the best......cold air or not...my car runs the fastest with a K&N in the engine compartment, straight into the turbo

this may or may not be the case in other than race track conditions....but at the track, a cold air system inhibits, does not help

in fact, just a bare turbo in the engine compartment works best of all......(would need a FAST or mafless system tho....)

and a track with no wind and no dirt racing tracks right beside it.:D Both e-town and LVD have dirt tracks right next to the drag strip and if the wind is blowing the wrong way it could be a little dangerous, but yes it is true. Any car will run better with no air filter.

Notice in that pic, the flexible tubing is probably 4" in dia and necks down to 3" at the MAF. If you use flex tube, be certain it is 4" when the MAF is 3", that will greatly reduce any restriction in the flex tubing.
I used aluminum dyer flex 4" tubing on my truck as I could not find any other type of flex tubing that would work on my TPI motor to get the intake filter out from behind the hot radiator air. Worked great and looked pretty sharp too and would not collapse.
But, for the TR, flex tubing at that location can be tricky because there are sone sharp edges going out of the body behind the headlight that will easly puncture the flex tubing.
Best bet, either get Mark's setup, or go to the local Freightliner/big rig store and buy some 90 and 45 degree exhaust elbows that are 4" dia and some sewer pipe connectors from HD.

I did the aluminum dryer duct for a while, but I didn't like the look. I took it out and replaced it with - get this - a VW heater hose! It's a hair over 3" ID, black, and flexible. I just had to remove the insulation and clean it up. A short piece of black PVC, and a black PVC elbow take it all the way up front. I like it because it was inexpensive doesn't look out of place.

I saw a superchared 5.0 at the track the other night with a dryer duct inlet. He had it hooked up to the GT foglight hole. It worked and he ran a 7.20 pass in the 1/8th..

It did look kinda funny..

James