Driving home from Buicks at Bates...

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
As the title says,

Three miles from the house (lucky it happened this close) I went to slightly accelerate to change lanes and I immediately and simultaneously saw and felt something wrong...I will explain. I saw my 'knock' gauge rising rapidly towards the red and I felt hesitations and sputtering and after letting off the pedal, I notice large cloud of white smoke behind me.

After existing the freeway and while preceding down the side streets to my house, I could only give and 1/8 to 1/4 of throttle at most before she would sputter and cough...again with white smoke.

Pulled in the drive way, erratic idle and a noticeable but mild 'knocking' sound.

No codes, nothing obvious...

I'm am scared! Please don't be internal or a head gasket.

check the oil to see if you have a milkshake? Where does the knock sound like it is coming from and does it increase in frequency with RPM?

So slightly accelerate means none to minimal boost?

If that is the case something was on the way out for a while.

Like said above. Check oil and radiator and look for contamination.

There is always a chance of simplicity in solving this.

D

[emoji85][emoji86][emoji87] dang man.. I'm going to pray for you. That happened to me four years ago not too long after buying this Buick ... Head gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing obvious?o_O
How about the white smoke trail. As mentioned: Head gasket.
I suggest while you are checking the oil, and the level in the rad, pull the plugs.

Thanks for the replies,

After my morning coffee, I will go look at the other indicators of the head gasket blowing.

As far as 'nothing obvious' comment, I will be more clear...I was hoping (and still am) that it was something like a bad MAF sensor or one of the intercooler pipes blew off or something like that. Unfortunately, I don't think it is something that simple or cheap.

In the mean time...Which head gaskets? I know that's like asking 'which oil' do you use...

I have an ARP head stud kit that's been waiting for a reason to use as well.

Wish me luck, and please provide and guidance on products and procedures.

Thanks

Lots of build up on the radiator cap...looks and feels like gasket material. Oil looks fine...

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 166
You can start the car and see if you see bubbles in the radiator (compression leaking in to the cooling system)

That looks like corrosion on the radiator cap.

If you are hearing a knock in the motor that is mechanical which is not good either.

I am in the middle of another project (1976 VW bus)...yea, I'm a hippie surfer. I pulled that engine due to a knock, knock, knock that I diagnosed as a main bearing and after the engine teardown, It is confirmed...bad main bearing. So, this mornings plan is to drop off certain parts at the machine shop in preperation for the rebuild.

I didn't plan on another "engine" rebuild...and I hope I won't need too...more to follow

That "stuff" on the cap could be block sealer.....You know the history on the car/engine?

That "stuff" on the cap could be block sealer.....You know the history on the car/engine?

I don't...Don't know if or when any work has been done to it. "allegedly" the springs have been updated...but that's all I know

I don't...Don't know if or when any work has been done to it. "allegedly" the springs have been updated...but that's all I know

Drain the rad, and take a look at the ends of the tubes, and the sides of the oil cooler.. Bet that "stuff" is all over it.
just today, I pulled a rad off a Vette w/ an LS engine conversion.. Same stuff. The owner had bought it used...My thots: The engine had leak issues, and the seller doctored it to flip it....

Drain the rad, and take a look at the ends of the tubes, and the sides of the oil cooler.. Bet that "stuff" is all over it.
just today, I pulled a rad off a Vette w/ an LS engine conversion.. Same stuff. The owner had bought it used...My thots: The engine had leak issues, and the seller doctored it to flip it....

Will do, for now, it is on hold. In the middle of another project.

I replaced the Radiator, hoses, thermostat, and inspected the water pump and heater core about 500 miles ago. And since then, I've been running pure water with RMI. I've notice a constant development of brown goop and I will clean it off every so often...and apparently that is common when using RMI, as it cleans all the build up inside.

This stuff on the bottom of the radiator cap seemed different this time...more like a material. But when I get to this project, I'm going to pull the engine to replace the gaskets.

Anyone got an cherry picker and engine stand they don't need for a little while?

Thanks for the advise Chuck

Ok,

Got everything back together and installed a turbo saver. Car started right up! As predicted, idle was all over the place. But after letting the computer "learn" the idle settled out and went for a test drive.

Car drives fine (kept my foot out of the go fast peddle), no unusual sounds or behaviors. Everything seems good.

However, the idle is very rough and I have a code 24.

The code 24 popped up during the first start up while idling. Don't know why that would happen. Also, speedo worked as advertise during my test drive. As far as the idle, I check TPS, IAC, and vacuum lines...

If someone would like to troubleshoot my car, I would pay them for there time. Looking for someone within 30 min drive of Redondo Beach, CA 90278

How did the plugs look?

Hi,

I just pulled them this morning. After TubAlky texted me yesterday with some great advise, I decided to pull the plugs last night but didn't because of time.

However, this morning i will definitely need a new set because one came out in pieces...dunno if I broke it upon removal, or if there was already a couple of "hair-line" cracks. Plus the number 6 plug looks fouled.

First Pic: Left side = Passenger side, top = rear. Notice the upper left, I believe that is number 6 cylinder, pretty bad fouling. And of course the middle right.
IMG_2519.jpg

Close up of Passenger side plugs
IMG_2521.jpg

Close up of driver side plugs
IMG_2522.jpg