Door Ding Guards

mrg7243

So I was washing the G-nat and noticed the sands of time have shifted and the adhesive on the door ding guards have started to droop on the edges. I kinda like the look, but at the same time dont. I want to rip these off and see what it looks like but I would also like to have an OEM set laying around I can slap on if I choose to do so.

So where would I find one with the adhesive already backed on it. To where all I have to do is peel and stick.

They are the horizontal bars that run across the the car on the door centerline(just for reference in case I wasnt clear)

buick-grand-national-parts.jpg

Your probably not going to find a set, but it's just the 3M tape on there. Mine have actually shrunk in length from new. Just peel them off and clean off the old tape. Then put new tape on and let them sit. They are really tough so they are hard to damage.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Your probably not going to find a set, but it's just the 3M tape on there. Mine have actually shrunk in length from new. Just peel them off and clean off the old tape. Then put new tape on and let them sit. They are really tough so they are hard to damage.

Sweet ill get some of the stuff from my parts store and call it good. What about the 3.8 sfi emblems as far as using the 3m stuff too

kirbans still sells them

Really? I couldnt find them on the site

Dont know how I missed that one LOL.

But for that price I will just reuse my oem ones with new tape like coach said

Sweet ill get some of the stuff from my parts store and call it good. What about the 3.8 sfi emblems as far as using the 3m stuff too

The tape on the 3.8 emblems is die cut. It would take a bit of work to clean off the old tape and use an exacto knife to cut new.

3M makes a tube of emblem adhesive, WalMart. A/Z, etc
I'm having similar problem w/ mine, but my mouldings are riveted in on the ends, the rubber/plastic inserts into a channel
don't know if they are OEM ( I suspect they are)nor do I know if GM made variations.
SoI have to poop out rivet, re-tape & pop-rivet back on...
I glad that GM makes stuff easy on our cars:confused:

Do_O

Well...:( they feel a lot bigger than they really are
I need to drink more liquids
workin' on these cars'll make you "poop"rivets & sh!t bricks :confused:
(thanks spell-check!)

Do_O

[QUOTE]Well...:( they feel a lot bigger than they really are
I need to drink more liquids
workin' on these cars'll make you "poop"rivets & sh!t bricks :confused:
(thanks spell-check!)[/QUOTE]

You aren't kidding brother, it's been one thing after another with my car.

I have the ones that are riveted on with the rubber strips inside. Does anyone know where to buy these rubber strips as mine have shrunk and leave gaps.

I'm curious as to what size rivets you poop out!!:eek: LOL

Yeah, this sound so painful! Such a "riviting" story to hear.....if you want, I'll try to "poop out" the tool that's used to install the rivets......it might turn out to be a pretty "crappy" job, but, sh**. at least it'll be done the right way....:p. Happy pooping! (drinking mineral oil should help somewhat)

And don't forget to get your "rivetscoptomy" exam every 10 years.....you don't want to find anything loose up in there. :D

Bruce '87 Grand National

First off guy, Kirbans are close but NOT the same as factory side moldings and you guys with the riveted end ones, they didn't come from GM they were added on probably at the dealer.

X2, Mike is right since this was mention once before. If it was riveted it came from the dealer and not from the factory.

Just my .02 but in my experience, if the glue has settled in, tearing those moldings off can take the paint with them.

Another .02 cents worth is if you use a hair dryer/heat gun to soften the glue it won't take the paint off at all.

First off guy, Kirbans are close but NOT the same as factory side moldings and you guys with the riveted end ones, they didn't come from GM they were added on probably at the dealer.

He even says that they are close to original but not exact in his description... I dont think anyone sells one closer though