1388095456167.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 112
  • 1388095496299.jpg
    1388095496299.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 1388095532148.jpg
    1388095532148.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 107
Hey thanks everyone for your input, and giving me a much needed reality check. So I can admit I was a little too ambitious for wat I wanted out of my TR. Mainly I took away from this is read everything I can, and as far as wanting a 10 sec daily driver, ill admit I worded that incorrectly. I was looking at putting together a 10 sec TR that I could drive around town on a nice day, or a nice saturday cruise to the strip in Richmond and back like TurboTGuy was saying , but not having it be my only source of transportation. Also with her only having 44k miles doesnt mean she runs like new, the previous owner band-aided a lot of problems with the car and Im going to have to start over with a dozen or so things instead of trying to fix what is already there.

Finally, no no one scared me off, but good try. Im active duty Navy and I was underway for a few days before and including Christmas. Feel free to drop some more money burning horror stories.

Fair winds and following seas.

I don't know about others cars but I put brand new top quility parts into my build and I haven't had any issues yet any I drive pretty hard although as of now I'm only running 18psi. Sounds like Coach is in the same position I was in a few years back when I built my motor my block alone cost me $2500.

I don't think anyone was really trying to rain on your parade, just a bit of a reality check. I put the lt1 maf and translator, Bob Bailey's TR6 ignition system on mine (at roughly $1000) just so I had something that would 1. work reliably and 2. be able to buy parts for anywhere. That's just a thousand dollar drop in my bucket;) Best wishes for you and whatever you do with your car. Happy New Year and thank you for your service!
Troy

I don't think anyone was really trying to rain on your parade, just a bit of a reality check. I put the lt1 maf and translator, Bob Bailey's TR6 ignition system on mine (at roughly $1000) just so I had something that would 1. work reliably and 2. be able to buy parts for anywhere. That's just a thousand dollar drop in my bucket;) Best wishes for you and whatever you do with your car. Happy New Year and thank you for your service!
Troy

This is a good example of where the money goes in these cars. That's a $1,000 well spent, but technically the car probably didn't get any faster; you are able to repeat full throttle stabs more frequently now though so cumulative speed is up!

Coach, you make a great point (as many others have in this thread) about "piecing together cars." I don't/won't piece together parts.... I will do it right the first time and that's it. Like I said in the beginning of John's thread "this will give people a good perspective of what it takes to run in the 9's." When I spoke of $30k plus I should have clarified myself. I apologize! I'm talking about drive train only; motor, "engine supporting parts" (i.e., fuel, fuel injectors, ignition, engine management, turbo, waste gate), trans and rear, (i.e., axles, gears, differential, girdle and drive shaft) However, I am not including parts such as; intercooler, turbo saver, data logger, blow off valve, pulleys, adjustable boost controller, exhaust (i.e., headers, down pipe, maf pipe, plumbing for external waste gate, ceramic coating) suspension, brakes. For example, the parts that I did not include as "drive train parts" are parts that unfortunately we all must have, but are not part of the of the "long block build" or it's "supporting parts" for the long block build. Hope that makes sense to everybody. Everyone who has a GN/TR needs an intercooler, maf pipe, headers..... I think you all get the point. If you are working with an engine builder you are not going to discuss things like; headers and pulleys..... It would be pretty silly. Those parts are a "no brainer" you have to have them! Now, that being said I have over $40k in my drive train, but that's largely because of; a 4L80E transmission, Cal Hartline's new ignition, FAST XFI ECU, running E85 and also because I want the best parts. For example, I have a stage 4 4L80E transmission with trans brake, Moran fuel injectors, a Precision BB turbo, Weldon fuel along with many of other parts. Running E85 you'll need much larger fuel injectors, a much stronger fuel pump and larger fuel and return lines. Again, I have to pay for someone to do the work for me so the labor is a big part of that as well. If you do it right the first time it will definitely cost more money initially, but will save yourself a lot of money and aggravation in the future.