Does turbo cause vacuum in MAF pipe?

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Curious because I am considering going to a flexible intake pipe and don't want it to collapse.

The OEM intake hose has steel coil spring type reinforcement to prevent collapse.

No, and yes. The amount of vacuum in the MAF pipe is dependent on two things (three actually but the atmosphere is pretty consistent).

The turbo can't make a vacuum, it can only make a low(er) pressure area. The amount of low pressure that can be achieved is from restrictions pre-turbo. Normally, that can be from something like a clogged, or crappy, filter.

Here on Earth, there's only 14.7 pounds per square inch of pressure on the inside and the outside of the hose. Removing the pressure from the inside is what put the wheels in motion and allows atmospheric pressure to collapse it. Once the turbo goes into cavitation from being starved, that's when all hell breaks loose.

....so I probably woudn't run a MAF tube made of dryer vent. :)

Curious because I am considering going to a flexible intake pipe and don't want it to collapse.

I’m sure you probably already know this, however, Earl Brown makes the best solid MAF pipes on the market! And I know he’s far too humble to tell about it. However, I can tell you straight up that I bought a brand new MAF pipe (from a very well known vendor on here) and the angle was all wrong which inevitable cost me my spot on Hot Rod Power Tour. Long story and I won’t bore you with details. However, a friend was kind enough to recommend that I contact Earl Brown and get a pipe from him. And not only was his pipe superior (perfectly bent went right in / right on)! No joke a ten minute install, verses hours of fighting with wrong bend that still failed due to couplers. Which by the way, Mr. Browns couplers are the best in the business as well. As they are very strong and don’t “suck down” like some of the other stuff that’s out there.

Honestly can’t say enough good stuff about my solid Earl Brown MAF Pipe! And while he may be to humble to boast, however, the man was an absolute GOD Send in my case. Heck, I’ve got a brand new pipe with all couplers (from the other vendor) that I can’t even bring myself to give away, due to all the problems that it caused me. So, if you are considering going flexible after having issues with well known vendors MAF pipe. Then please know that you will never have an issue like that with a solid Earl Brown MAF pipe! And there just are not enough good words that I can say about my experience with mine!

Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The turbo can't make a vacuum, it can only make a low(er) pressure area.

this is the definition of vacuum

it absolutely creates vacuum but the degree of vac with a 3" inlet tube will be little but if the filter gets dirty it will increase the vacuum .
the original engine design of the buick lc2 used the turbo inlet bell port connected to the passenger valve cover (to a sealed engine) to pull a vacuum on the motor during boost

commercial engines use a vacuum meter to alert to the need for a filter cleaning

kirkey actually use an aluminum turbo compressor wheel in their vacuum cleaners and many other vac cleaners use similar design wheels

I will add that I had to bend the point down on the corner of the bracket that holds the radiator hose with other styles of maf pipes as it can puncture a hole in certain styles of pipes

A key factor in choosing between either a solid MAF pipe or flexible MAF hose is if any component of the air intake system is rigidly attached to the car/frame on the opposite end from the turbo.

For example, if the factory stock air cleaner box (attached to the frame) and MAF sensor are used in conjunction with a hard MAF pipe (replacing the factory FlexFab hose), vibrations from the engine and accessories will be transmitted thru that hard connection to the MAF. The electronics and calibration of the MAF will be damaged over time. That is why the FlexFab hose was chosen by design to limit the transfer of vibrations to the MAF.

Many have eliminated the stock air box and run just a hard MAF pipe connected to a MAF sensor connected to a cone filter. This assembly basically floats as it is only a hard connection at the turbo inlet - the end of the filter is not rigidly attached to anything. Depending on the length of the MAF pipe, some have made a hanger of sorts to support it since the weight of the filter, MAF sensor and the pipe itself act like a cantilever at the coupling at the turbo inlet.

Some may remember Pete Tomka and his cold air intake system. The lengths of flexible hose (3", 4", etc.) were CEET aircraft hose - specifically it was Aeroduct brand.

Some may remember the KenneBell cold air intake system whereas flexible hose directed air from an opening in the driver's side air dam to the enclosed cone filter.

So using a flexible MAF hose is not a problem. be sure to use the CEET or CEET equivalent hose. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket stock replacement hose - the corrugations are too pronounced.

@grass doctor has already covered the best sources for aircraft ducting in the post above.