Does Kenne Bell Ram Air help?

jghall6

I have an old school Kenne Bell Ram Air kit with the scoop opening below the bumper on the drivers side air dam. Does it help or is it better to position the air filter behind the drivers side air dam like other kits do?

Anything and everything you place in the path of incoming air to the turbo inlet will lower HP some.

We proved this many years ago with various cars on various dynos.

Every bend in the air inlet path is a restriction which hurts HP.

If you check out very fast turbo race cars, you will see many with the turbo placed with the air intake facing the front in a high pressure area, sometimes in the grill.

My race car is not an "extremely" fast ride, but I turned the turbo so ram air is almost a straight line into the air inlet from where a headlight used to reside. :)

Not sure exactly how much it helps, but it allows me to run high 9's with 18 PSI! :D

Also there is NO 90 deg. bend for the exhaust to leave the turbo,

Nick 1.jpg

it
I have an old school Kenne Bell Ram Air kit with the scoop opening below the bumper on the drivers side air dam. Does it help or is it better to position the air filter behind the drivers side air dam like other kits do?
it is best to put the filter on the end of the maf sensor. No box no nothing, just an open filter

You could use the scoop to route the air up towards the open air filter, but lose the filter airbox.

I have an atr one. It whistles INSANE!! It's not hooked up to supply air to the intake any more, but is still acting as the ic scoop. As soon as i find that stock ic scoop, the atr thing is going in a box!!!

I think it was one of our very good, nice guy member here, Red Barron, with the big ,bad black GN (which I'm scared of, because he has it so nasty looking, mean, beautiful, and I'm truly jealous) who has this ram air system....he told me that (if I remember correctly, but correct me if I'm correct:rolleyes:) that he cut the bottom off of the air cannister so he gets fresh air through the bottom, (via the air hose) and that the incoming air from the scoop is just cool air, no restriction really.....this is what I'm going to do to mine.....he said he just wanted the canister to look "cool" but that it did restrict the air flow somewhat, so cutting the bottom of the cannister seems like a good idea.....that way, when I pop the hood of my '87 GN, the REAL airheads will "think" it's "fast", "oh, my God, look at that big, bad black cannister", "stay away everybody, it might just bite you, take your Mustangs home now!" type of attitude.

Seems like a way, according to Red Barron, to do away with air restrictions, but just have cool air flowing over the air cleaner while it picks up cool also air coming through the front of the car.

And I wholy agree with Nick's assement on air restriction with these systems.....he's spot on with this information, so you serious guys follow his advice and do away with the ram air system......this guy KNOWS what he's talking about 100% and one of the best "go to guys" here (sorry didn't name the rest, I'm tired, want to go to bed....long day of sawing wood tomorrow:() so heed Nick's excellent advice......he couldn't have explained it more clearly.....another one of the guys here I greatly admire..(can I have your autograph, Nick?:D)

Bruce '87 Grand National