Does anyone want a 3 downpipe?

BRAD_PADGETT

I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and bought a used 0-60 hot air 3 inch downpipe. The bends exactly match the stock downpipe. The problem with the the 0-60 downpipe is the attachment to the turbo elbow. This has been verified by BOOST231. Fellow member DVERNST(89TTA) told me of a local guy(custom made the whole system for DVERNST) near me who custom makes exhausts. I took the 0-60 downpipe and my stocker and showed them to him and asked if he could modify it. The modifications would be changing the attachment to the turbo elbow to the stock type and make an adapter to reduce the flow to a hooker 2 1/2 test pipe or CAT. The exhaust Guy said no problems- I can modify the 0-60 or simply make me a new one-But I need your your car in order to do it. My car is down for the winter and I will be very busy after next week until April 15.

I am going to take my car in next week and see what this guy can do it. I will have this guy make extra copies of his work for anybody who would want one. The pipe will fit the stock turbo elbow and go into a Hooker 2 1/2 inch test pipe or CAT. E-mail me with questions, PICS or if you want one made for you. Thanks- Brad

Keep us posted. I have 0 to 60 and I was going to fab a houston style piece to mount on my 0 to 60 bottom. Post I might be interested. It might be easier to build a 3 inch test pipe and avoid the necked down Hooker pipe. I got a donut to mount to the 0 to 60 pipe. I would prefer a Houston/Mease(Intergrated waste gate) style pipe. Keep us informed...

Chuck

I am looking into an intergrated waste gate setup which would eliminate the Turbo elbow. I will keep those who are interested informed. Brad

Update. I just met with a fellow board member who is working on a downpipe with the puck built in thereby eliminating the turbo elbow. This is the way to go because I just learned something that just floored me. GM used the exact same turbo elbow on the Hot Airs as the 89TTA. I can only assume the 86/87 have the same elbow. All the bolt patterns match-turbo/downpipe. I am going to follow this route next. Keep you posted. Brad

Brad,
Here is a pic of an unmolested 3" Mease.
It fits, but it is tight! Thought a pic would give you a good idea of the form/fit.

Attachments

• DP pic.jpg
    DP pic.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 657
Any idea on cost yet? Please keep me informed. I am getting a stock down pipe and need to test fit it first. 85 motor going in a 74 apollo.

The project right now is on hold because fellow member DVERNST is really busy at work. So am I as it is tax time. He has designed the flange which will hold the puck but he made it 1/2 inch thick. It needs to be 3/4 of an inch thick. It turns out that all Buick 3.8 turbo engines all have the exact same stock turbo elbow. I want to wait for the correct flange before I go to the exhaust guy. I would rather wait and eliminate the turbo elbow than go forward with a setup which keeps the turbo elbow. I will keep you all posted. Brad

Update- I purchased a turbo flange with a puck from member Windmill. I should get it tomorrow. When the weather breaks here I will take the flange and have the three inch pipe made. At that time I will know how much they will cost and take orders. I am only going to to this once. Each pipe made will be custom fitted to a stock hot air turbo down to the 86/87 exhaust flange. I have the 2 1/2 inch Hooker 86/87 exhaust. My car will be the model to make sure all pipes will fit. I will keep you posted. Brad

3" Dp

Brad, First Thanx for your efforts here
I also have the Hooker2.5 cat back. but i am useing the "test pipe" that came with the kit. The test pipe simply slips over the DP. No flange necessary. If ther is a choice here, I would vote for no flange at the bottom of the DP. Maybe include it, but not welded to the DP. If it comes welded, the process of cutting it off might make the DP too short for the test pipe to slip over.