DIY Alky kit. Bosch pump OK? NOS nozzle?

snodgrass

I'm getting parts together for a DIY alky kit. I have a Bosch fuel pump that I think came off a Ford pickup. Can that be used for the alky? I heard they may have stainless gears. Will it pump enough pressure? Also, I have a stainless NOS fogger nozzle. It has a port for fuel and a port for nitrous. Would that work OK? can I use the nitrous port on the nozzle for a second stage of alky? Thanks, Jeff

Originally posted by snodgrass
I'm getting parts together for a DIY alky kit. I have a Bosch fuel pump that I think came off a Ford pickup. Can that be used for the alky? I heard they may have stainless gears. Will it pump enough pressure? Also, I have a stainless NOS fogger nozzle. It has a port for fuel and a port for nitrous. Would that work OK? can I use the nitrous port on the nozzle for a second stage of alky? Thanks, Jeff

Your putting together a system with components of questionable origin. If you think wrong, and the pump goes bad while your running 23+PSI boost on your motor.. guess what I thinks may happen. There is an EFI pump some used for a DIY alky kit some time ago off of a Ford pickup..you'll need to search the net for those numbers. And that pump needed to be isolated. I wouldnt entrust my motor to any used pump of questionable origin. If you want to use the Ford EFI pump..thats ok.. just hope your rite.

Man I like cheap like everybody here does.. I just hope you can see that driving across town to get that gas thats .02 cents cheaper per gallon doesnt pay. Cranks are getting very hard to find for our cars, let alone competent machine shops. Do your self a favor and get the rite pump.. and be done with it. Your nozzle question.. they use the single fan nozzle types with the typical DIY setup.. I mean you could use anything..there are sometimes cheaper and easier ways. Stevemon has a website with typical recommendations for the jetting to use with the NOS nozzle. Assuming a shurflo pump. If that EFI pump is higher in pressure, then you ll need a smaller jet.

Well....... Let me explain a little about what I'm looking to do at this point. I just put this car together, and it seems that my wastegate may be a little on the small side. I have a turbonetics deltagate on the car, and over 4000 rpms the boost starts to creep with the gate wide open. The boost is set at 15lbs, but climbs to 18 lbs with more RPM/higher gear. The combo works fine with no KR with 5 gallons of xylene in the tank, but I was going to try a small shot of alky instead. I am not looking to tune up to the fine line of motor destruction, but rather I am trying to eliminate the KR that i can't tune out at this point by lowering boost. If, at this boost level, the pump did fail, I would surely lift before serious damage was to occure. It is in fact a ford pickup pump, part # E7TF-9350-AA. What I was asking is: if anyone knows that this pump will fail quickly in this application, I will for sure go with the sureflo pump. I will likely go with the sureflo pump anyway after I recover from the cost of putting this car together. These are parts I have lying around, and figured someone may have tried this before.

Your boost creep is what needs repair.

Use the pump..like you said, If it fails no big deal. And run lots of lube so it doesnt seize.

You just want a bandaid.. thats ok.