destroked 3.8?

Turbo PeppeR

destroked 3.8?porsche 914 transplant?

can you destroke the 3.8 turbo motor to say a 3.0 and if so what kind of rpms would be possible?

I know a few guys were destroking the stage 2 motors and running 222 cubic inches. They were able to spin them up to around 7000-7500. They said that they were able to produce an extra 50-100 hp over the standard stroke due to running it at higher rpms.

Destroking

The Buick "Power Source" book runs through a lot of combinations, for different displacements. In the front of the book, there is a discussion on rev limits. Some recommendations include Stage I or Stage II parts, but the rpm they suggest run from 6000 to 8500. The 8500 assumes that you use titanium valves, which are sometimes hard to find. Some early blocks had a smaller bore, and if you found one of them, you can reduce the cubic inches even further, if you need to.
HTH

something you will have to think about if you do this, is the turbo size and the bearing clearances. stock they are pretty tight clearances, because of all the pressure that is put on them at lower RPMs with the stock turbo motor. i believe the torque peak of the GNX was somethin like 2400 rpm? most of em peak around 2400 to 3200 or so that ive seen on dynos. if you wanna rev it, you will need to run looser bearing clearances and have a turbo that doesnt start to boost tilla round 3500 to 4000 RPM perhaps. that way, your bearings wont be pounded to a pulp at lower RPMs with the increased tolerances. also, a turbo like that will have a higher choke point, so it wont be restrictive at the higher RPMs, where most smaller turbos will choke it off around 5500 or so.

the reason I asked is Ive seen a few 914 porsches with 3.8 n/a buick motors and thought a destroked turbo motor shifting at 7000rpm might be a good combo.Anyone know of anyone running a turbo buick in a 914. Any info running a stick with a motor capable of 7000rpm?Im thinking 480 hp with 550lb tq approx.(the car would wiegh about 2350lbs with iron heads) Iknow this sounds crazy but if it doesnt interest you please dont bother flaming opps I mean replying.Thanks..

Turbopepper,

quite a few years ago I built a 914 with a 302SBC. Kennedy Engineered Products builds the adaptor and clutch kit.
If I recall it is a 3.09 1st gear and a 4.43 diff ratio making for a useless 1st gear overall ratio. Just as well since 1st is a leg off the "H" and difficult to get a quick 1-2 shift. Slanted radiator goes in a box between the headlights with the floorpan below the box is grilled to let the hot air escape under the car. I modified the side skirts to have them fit straight up/down and ran 1" radiator hoses to from the engine. One thing you will need to do is figure out where to put the I/C. The V-8 was a tight fit so the stock location I/C might not work.

Good luck and keep us up to date on the progress.

BTW, I recall once seeing a link to someone building one but the link did not work so I deleted it.

This past weekend I checked out a GN that run a 215ci StageII TT. Car runs 8.30s @ mid-150s in SS/DX. It should be at Reynolds this year.