Dead Fuel Pump?

iwantatta

I'm trying to figure out if i have a dead fuel pump.

Was cruising on the freeway and all of a sudden car just died. Pulled over to the side of the road and called
AAA. They checked the alternator and tried jump starting to no avail.

I noticed that my fuel pressure gauge was only reading ~20psi when i had the ignition on. When i tried starting the car it struggled to turn over. When it did it would just die right away.

Shouldn't the gauge be reading ~40psi with the ignition on? Or does it need to be running to build the correct fuel pressure?

Other thing is i replaced to stock fuel pump with hotwire and walbro about 6yrs ago and about 10k miles

Yep, sounds like the fuel pump to me. It should make full pressure with just the key on. The motor does not have to be running.

After 6 years it should be replaced anyway. I would do a new fuel filter and pump at the same time.

Jason

Wow, didn't realize fuel pump needs replacing so often.

That DW pump looks like a good idea. Is it basically plug/play as far as install, or do you have to make
any modifiactions to fit it.

Can you hear the pump run at key on? The hose between the pump and hanger outlet could be leaking.

David

Can you hear the pump run at key on? The hose between the pump and hanger outlet could be leaking.

David

David

I use to be able to hear the fuel pump whining. I don't hear it anymore.

Was reading something about a fuel pump relay/fuse?

It could be what davzgn said if you still heard it running with the key on but if you don't hear it running anymore then it could be the fuse which would be on the drivers side inner fender under the hood. My guess would be that's its dead though since you said it was only reading 20psi. They usually fade out before they die completely.

SpooledUp said:
Only 6 yrs on a pump? What a PITA to change.

I didn't think getting the tank out and changing the pump was too bad. I've done it twice now on my garage floor. I think part of what helped was everything I read about how much of a pita it is. Having the tank empty, and having the car as high as possible on jack stands definitely helps.

Check your fuel pump hotwire fuse and 30 amp relay. Try disconnecting the hotwire relay and hooking the fuel pump wires back up stock.

Only 6 yrs on a pump? What a PITA to change.

agreed!

i've had every car i've owned longer than 6 years and have never had to change out a fuel pump.

and ps - if i ever have to do it on one of my fbody cars i plan on cutting an access panel behind the rear seat instead of dropping the tank. i know not everyone agrees with that way...

Turned out to be the dang fuel pump. Hope i don't have to replace the dang thing every six years.

The originals seem to last longer but i guess don't flow as well?