Damn UPS!!!!!!!!!!

excobraguy

I bought a block and crank off of here from Lenny, Lenc23, great guy and this story is not his fault. It's UPS' fault!!! We split the shipping costs of $175 to ship the block, crank and pistons to me. He even paid extra to have UPS package the crank and pistons and the block. Get this, I get the box with the crank and pistons and open it up and was horrified to find the pistons were just sitting on top right there on top of the exposed crank journals!!!!!!! They had a paper thin piece of plastic wrapped around the pistons and the crank, but needless to say...it was all busted through and didn't even help one bit. So the crank is trashed...some marks made from the piston caps hitting the journals are deep, I mean deep.........they won't turn out.

So I started the claim process with UPS....this is where the story gets good. There policy is to have an "inspector" come out and inspect the packaging, then have him confiscate the crank like it is theirs just because a claim has been filed. Then take 5 days to "inspect" it, send it back to the shipper (UPS store in New York) let him then inspect it, fill out a claim to reimburse me my money, at his discretion.....he doesn't even have to refund me my money if he says no, and then I have to wait 2 f***ing weeks to get a check, if after all of this it gets approved!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me????????? DHL made good in 3 days on a hood I ordered that was damaged, what is all of this BS crap with UPS....the packaged was insured for $500, pay up! Unbelievable!!!!

UPS sucks. All of my businesses ship ONLY FedEx and they are wonderful with the process.

UPS sucks. All of my businesses ship ONLY FedEx and they are wonderful with the process.

I wondered why the shipping company chosen for my hood was DHL instead of UPS. I think I now know..........UPS' policy for getting a refund is ridiculous.....They have been paid for shipping, they want to "own" my crank while they inspect it, and they want me to put up all of the chips to do so....right now I am out $580 on this deal.......I can't believe how they treated me on the phone......like I was trying to rip them off or something. I told the lady that anyone that knew anything about car parts especially a crankshaft would have never packed it the way they did..........

Check out what UPS did to a box of headers I sent out, they sent it back in a larger box it was so bad
upsmess1.jpg

upsmess2.jpg

I had to go through the claims process too, it wasnt fun. Took like 2 weeks just to get the package back. Luckily the headers were some how unscathed, so I didnt have to deal with the claims anymore. But UPS didnt even want to pay to have it shipped back.

unbelievable! This is about enough for me to quit using them. I've had other parts arrive, not damaged, but in boxes that looked like yours.....their handlers must just grab and throw the **** around....not caring at all if it gets damaged or not. And their customer service stinks!!!!!!!!!!

My brother works at UPS as a driver....the stories I've heard makes you wonder how packages within UPS make it rom point A to B intact. Now if you want your package to get lost, use airborne...they are fantastic at losing or delaying delivery on a package. Fed-EX gets my vote so far.

Steve

My friend shipped me a package with misc Buick stuff in it, Packed up very well. The package gets to me ane i open it up and dont see all the parts that he was suposed to send me. Turns out someone at UPS opened up the package and stole half of the stuff including a new 67mm turbo. Stupid us, NO insurance. I did put in a claim and UPS did send out a examiner, Just to say Sorry no insurance Too bad. It turns out that they had a report of a broken box at one of there terminals and must have not put everything back in.

I had a problem with Fed Ex one time that was worse than this. I needed a bumper, fender, and a header panel. I asked Bob(Intercooled88) to send it to me Fed Ex as they had the cheapest rates and I had always had good luck with them. He boxed the stuff up good and sent it on its way. When I recieved the boxes the end of the box the bumper was in had been tore off and the end of the bumper was scraped as if some one had just dragged it across the floor instead of picking it up. The end of the fender box was tore up and when I opened up the box the top edge of the fender where it meets the door was bent down like the box was dropped really hard on that end. The Header panel box looked in fairly good shape, but when I took it out ofthe box the mounting point on the back was snapped off and there were several hairline cracks running thru it suggesting it was dropped hard as well. They to had to p/u the packages to inspect for damage and then were supposed bring them back to me. The header panel ended up going all the way back to the shipper getting completely broken apart in the process and the fender and bumper dissapered and were never found:confused: The replacement parts were sent UPS and they arrived here in perfect shape.

I've had a problem or two with UPS but for the love of God please don't praise DHL. And I worked for FedEx back when I needed a part time job and boxes get beat up there too, trust me.

Can't expect the people working at a UPS store to know anything about car parts. I'm sure they figured two metal parts could hardly damage either other. Whoever packed it may not have known about the precise machining involved in a crankshaft, or what a crankshaft is in the first place.

Sorry but I feel you could have taken more steps to ensure they knew what they were packing and how they needed to pack it. Yes in a perfect world they would know what type of product they were handling but these days if you want the job done right you have to do it yourself, or at least explain it to the other person.

UPS lost my $700 torque converter and I got $100 from them.

Sounds fair to me. :rolleyes:

The kicker is you have to buy insurance on top of the shipping fee to ensure they do their job, then get the run around at their discretion, UPS = Judge and Jury.

DHL has been good to me so far, but everyone has issues. :mad:

I disagree totally the opposite. Fedex has damaged virtually every package I have ever had shipped with them. (one time the customer service lady told me "well, we are hard on our packages") What kind of excuse is that!!?? And a damage claim with fedex compared to UPS is like night and day. UPS WILL take care of you. It just takes awhile for the process although I have had checks no later than 2 weeks. Good luck if you even get any money from fedex.

For the OP, never trust ANY shippping company to pack stuff like that especially since most of them have no idea what they are packing.

DHL is flat out at the bottom as far as other shipping companies. I'd rather give a package to a bum and have him deliver it on his bike than go with DHL.

For the record, I have shipped/received over 1000 items in my lifetime. So I have enough experience in the shipping department. Small packages I use USPS, and large I use UPS. You MUST get insurance. It's all part of the game. It's your own fault if you do not have insurance.

FedEx is no better. The picture of the box in the post looks like the box my header panel came in. It had a footprint on the box and when I took out the panel it was in 3 pieces :mad: .

Jamie

No matter who you use Always quadruple the insurance! I still like the PO best but had great luck with DHL. They see $1K-$2k value & they get a little more careful it seems..

insurance is the name of the game. I'm fixing to ship a turbo, yes it's packaged extremely well but it only cost about $6.50 more to have $1200. worth of ins. on it.

dhl is f'ing ghetto they delivered my stuff to the block down the street and i am still trying to get it

Fed -Ex

I just ordered a custom trunk liner from Carmotorsports. They shipped it Fed-Ex. When I got the package and opened it up it was empty. I then noticed the center of the other end had been opened. When I inquired with Carmotorsports, they said had definitely placed the trunk liner in the box. I guessing that someone who works for Fed-Ex stole the trunk liner. Now another one has to be made. I was hoping to get it before the Nationals, but now I don't know. It bull$hit because I ordered it two months ago. Thanks Fed-Ex.

I've had a problem or two with UPS but for the love of God please don't praise DHL. And I worked for FedEx back when I needed a part time job and boxes get beat up there too, trust me.

Can't expect the people working at a UPS store to know anything about car parts. I'm sure they figured two metal parts could hardly damage either other. Whoever packed it may not have known about the precise machining involved in a crankshaft, or what a crankshaft is in the first place.

Sorry but I feel you could have taken more steps to ensure they knew what they were packing and how they needed to pack it. Yes in a perfect world they would know what type of product they were handling but these days if you want the job done right you have to do it yourself, or at least explain it to the other person.

Kinda hard to do when it was packed in New York and I live in Missouri :biggrin: Would they just lay two glass pieces together and ship those??? Not hardly.....don't even try to take on a battle and play the blame game on me on this one, it's a battle I will fight hard and long :mad: