Crank but no start

Now your getting close like I said try not to get pissed.... I know it's tough but you will figure it out I forgot to tell you I had my cam sensor plug and crank plug crossed I think they fit each other and mine wouldn't start

Now your getting close like I said try not to get pissed.... I know it's tough but you will figure it out I forgot to tell you I had my cam sensor plug and crank plug crossed I think they fit each other and mine wouldn't start
Ya I plugged it in the wrong one too but switched them around and still nothing

grand national 2.jpg
grand national.jpg
So from the start

Before the rare down it ran pretty good, started right up......Then my timing cover started leaking coolant back by the block. So I thought might as well put a new timing chain set on.....took #1 plug out put my thumb over whole and rotated crank by hand until I felt a puff of air, then lined it up at the timing mark at zero, also looked in the spark plug whole to varify it started to go down once I passed zero.....my cam sensor was pointing this way but didn't think nothing of it.......then I took cover off and the marks where alighted on the timing gear so I installed the new gear set ( billet steel set with silent chain) with the marks lined up and the bottom gear I put the zero degree mark on the key way ......lubed it up and put new gasket and timing cover on.... Set crank sensor on the furthest slot and set it with a piece of smoke pack ( not rubbing).......set the cam sensor 25degrees atdc.. Used cam tool and turned it clockwise till light went out then turned it back till light came on.....hooked everything up and just cranks over ,,,....called her a night and the next day tried resetting cam sensor and the led light on the cam tool wouldn't go out......fuses all good.....car started fine the day before the Tare down......

Last edited:
you state that the led on the tool WONT go out? Have you checked to make sure the cam sensor is turning over with the engine? If its not turning the LED may be sensing the proper position and staying on because you set it there last.. THis would give me the impression you sheared off the drive gear somehow. If you did.....ask me about engine 2.0....lol.

According to your pictures, if the engine is at tdc or even 25*atdc....the cam sensor is off. At 25* atdc the window should be facing the #1 spark plug....

According to your pictures, if the engine is at tdc or even 25*atdc....the cam sensor is off. At 25* atdc the window should be facing the #1 spark plug....
That's what the cam sensor was at when I put it at TDC before I started the tare down, when it was running.....Is TDC done by turning the crank and feeling for air pressure coming out the spark plug whole and lining the mark on the crank balancer at zero? Could it be I was 180degrees out when installing timing chain? Could that cause the no start Issue I'm having

I'd check two or three....if the chain is off, you probably won't have compression on any. (Hopefully you don't have any bent valves or pushrods if the chain is indeed off)

I'd check two or three....if the chain is off, you probably won't have compression on any. (Hopefully you don't have any bent valves or pushrods if the chain is indeed off)
ok so I checked all cylinders except #6 (downpipe in the way) they where 130 ish...so is my timing gears set right?
and spark plugs seemed wet ....I checked #1 cylinder for spark and there is none...

That should be sufficient to start...although it's kinda low. Is the ECM functional (plugged in, ses light flashes once then stays lit (key-on engine off)? If so, I'd be looking at the crank sensor again. You have pressure at the rail, but the plugs are dry....tells me the ECM isn't pulsing the injectors. (Crank sensor, inj harness, chip/ecm) no spark as well points more toward the crank sensor than the cam sensor. Cam sensor will take away spark, but not inj pulse....crank sensor kills them both.

That should be sufficient to start...although it's kinda low. Is the ECM functional (plugged in, ses light flashes once then stays lit (key-on engine off)? If so, I'd be looking at the crank sensor again. You have pressure at the rail, but the plugs are dry....tells me the ECM isn't pulsing the injectors. (Crank sensor, inj harness, chip/ecm) no spark as well points more toward the crank sensor than the cam sensor. Cam sensor will take away spark, but not inj pulse....crank sensor kills them both.
Ok I'll take a look tomorrow....anyway to tell if it's bad

I tested the compression with throttle body closed

Ok I just read but haven't tried, I'll try tomorrow. But cause I have the crank balancer just hand tightened. Could that be the reason?

ecm seems fine....does what you said and took crank sensor back off and cleaned it some more and gapped it to .025 , tighten the crank bolt and still notta....what would happen if I plugged the cam sensor in the wrong plug in? realized I did after cranking, its in the right plug now

Last edited:
You should not be able to plug the cam sensor into the wrong plug as only one connector will reach the cam sensor.

You should not be able to plug the cam sensor into the wrong plug as only one connector will reach the cam sensor.
I could plug into the injection harness and the coil pac...I was just wondering if I screwed the cam sensor cap up by doing so

ok I got it to fire up :) I rejusted crank sensor and cleaned it better.....put another cam sensor cap on....
the first cam sensor cap I plugged into the injector plug and probably fried it.

Last edited:
Make sure the fuel pressure maintains sufficient psi to keep it running. Does feathering the throttle help any?