Crank but no start

Brad_H

So changed the timing chain with a billet steel with silent chain ....put engine at TDC compression struck and on stock timing gears the dots where lined up so installed the new gear set, out everything together and no it cranks and doesn't even attemp to fire up.....it ran great before hand but had a timing cover leak so that's why I replaced everything.........crank sensor set at right width .....I know the cam sensor is good but would it cause a crank and no start at all condition if it's set wrong?

If the cam sensor is not in right that could be your problem go over everything make sure all sensors are connected go over the harness something could've gotten bumped loose

If I remember right you need to set the crank 25• ATDC i think you can find info on setting the cs on vortexbuicks.com good luck keep us posted

The cs can defiantly be the problem I remember when I built mine it wouldn't fire up then I had it 180• out it blew raw fuel out the exhaust onto my garage wall but it ran pig rich but it still was wrong after I did research on it I got it figured out

Mine just rolls over......doesn't even sputter or even attemp to fire up and the led light on the cam sensor tool won't go out

I tried setting It over and over at 25 deg. ATDC Turned it a bit till light went out then turned it back.

Went to reset it again and this time the led light won't go out at all....even took cap off and plugged it in to the cam sensor tool and it still lights up......You would atleast think I'd get a backfire or sputter but I just keep cranking until battery dies

I had my front cover done at a shop years ago they didn't put the crank sensor back on I went through the same issue I had the same problem when I changed the ignition module I bumped one of the plugs at the injector harness it was half ass connected and hidden behind the coil pack... Take your time and check over everything lil things get overlooked all the time

Crank sensor will cause a loss of fuel (injector pulse...not rail pressure) AND a loss of spark. Cam sensor will cause only the loss of spark. Check and recheck the cam sensor. The light on the tool not going out is a sign.....
A compression check may be in order.

Crank sensor will cause a loss of fuel (injector pulse...not rail pressure) AND a loss of spark. Cam sensor will cause only the loss of spark. Check and recheck the cam sensor. The light on the tool not going out is a sign.....
A compression check may be in order.
Just wondering why I would need to check compression?

I have a dumb question
Does the cam sensor plug into the plug that's coming from the coil pack ?

If by chance your chain is out of whack....you may not have compression due to the valves being open when they shouldn't be....

Just gotta rule one thing out at a time. If you have a compression tester, it doesn't take long to check it. When you pull the plug to do the test, smell it and see if it's wet with fuel....if it is, then you need to test for spark. If it's dry, then test the injector harness at the injectors to verify they're opening. That's the process I would use. Other things can cause the no start, but these tests will tell you a lot and rule out many issues. Post back what you find.