Coolant color

trbodon21

I am running low on coolant, but I'm not 100% on which type is in the car. I am almost certain I rember saying to my friend who help build the motor to put the red coolant in. However, the coolant has a green tint to it making me think that it is the standard green antifreeze. I don't want to mix because of the sludge horror stories. Is there any green tint in the red antifreeze?

No. the dex-cool has a reddish-orange tint. I can't imagine anybody switching an 87 to the newer stuff, it's ususally the other way around.

New G-05 hybrid coolant made by Prestone for Daimler Chrysler and Ford is compatible with the standard Green anti-freeze. This antifreeze is yellow in color and should state that it meets ASTM D6210 specifications on the label.

However if you add DEX-COOL to standard ethylene glycol green antifreeze you could be creating a problem. DEX-COOL is also an ethylene glycol based coolant, but the anti corrosion chemistry is allot different. Laboratories have proven that by mixing DEX-COOL with conventional green coolant it accelerates its ability to corrode aluminum.

I can’t find good test data to show exactly why DEX-COOL turns to sludge. It appears that introducing air into a DEX-COOL cooling system does vicious things to the coolant. For example a failed radiator cap, or a leaking intake gaskets allows entrained air to contaminate the coolant system, and then it turns to sludge.

Now would be a good time to review your cooling system and determine why you are low. Start by performing a coolant pressure test on the system to find the leak and don’t forget to test the radiator cap.

Finally, DEX-COOL doesn’t have any green tint in it.