Converter rattling?

jdpolzin

We have a new trans here and after the install, we had a few problems with a stuck shift valve. Car ran but wouldnt shift. No odd noises at idle, nothing out of the ordinary, just wouldnt shift. So, we get to shift by working the stuck valve in the valve body a little. I did notice the middle valve in the small set of valves was stuck when I took it apart as well, I believe this is the downshift valve? I cleaned everything got the valves all working properly. We put the the valve body back in, got the car running, and adjust the TV. Everything shifted fine for a couple days (not much driving but probably 30-40 miles around town.) Everything is good, no noises, no rattles.

Now my buddy calls me and says that the car is knock at idle. I ask if it's false knock or knock you can hear? He says he can here it until the car is warmed up. When in gear, cold or warm, the sound also goes away. So, today I go over and the car had been warmed up already. No noise. But he also mentioned that the car wnt downshift when you romp on it. So we let cool down and later start it back up. It makes noise now!

I was sure it was exhaust rattling becuase it is a very hollow sounding rattle. We messed with the exhaust and I evn put a jack under the DP to see if the noise would go away or change tone. NO CHANGE!

This is a Vigilante converter and I know they are notorious for rattles with the Lock Up 5 discs. This is a Non Lock Up trans. It also sounds way to hollow to be inside the converter but I'm not sure. It also goes away when you put load on the trans and change in RPM's doesnt create a change in the tone of the rattle.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking that small valve is still hung up and that may be why it doesnt down shift when you stomp on it but this rattle is driving me crazy. It didnt do it when we first installed it. The converter was used but was in good working order when removed. If it was the converter, why would it just start now? Why would it not change with the RPM's?

Am I right or am I not seeing something else rattling?

S

Unbolt the converter and make sure it's not coming from the engine

I will unbolted the converter and check. I didn't even think of that! This is a non lock up.

My converter snout had a hairline crack in it; had a cracked pump tang also. Changed both out & put a billet front pump tang (ear) or whatever you call it, all is well now. May not be your problem though. Also mine was lock up.

Vigilante converters take a shorter than stock bolt to attach it to the flexplate...bolts may be tight, but are bottoming out before it is fully tight to the flexplate...after driving for a bit, converter works loose....ask me how I know...

or X3 on the cracked flexplate....but my $$$ is on the converter bolts.

Vigilante converters take a shorter than stock bolt to attach it to the flexplate...bolts may be tight, but are bottoming out before it is fully tight to the flexplate...after driving for a bit, converter works loose....ask me how I know...

X2

we have a winner! bolts were just a tad too long you couldent move it by hand, untill you removed one bolt.

my vigilante is now doing this rattling noise..mines a lock up 7 disk.. just heard it yesterday... thought i walked the crank or thru a rod at first..but then noticed sound was coming from converter problem is i lost the original short screws that were on my converter attached to a light flywheel i had...i sold the damn flywheel and misplaced the coverter bolts/nuts.....anyone know where to get correct size bolts for the converter? i dont like the rattling noise sounds like a racing mcleod clutch.. i have some almost identical racing converter bolts on there from a small block application my buddy had at his shop? is the rattling ok or is it necessary to change the bolts this was a pricey converter rather not Fu** it up

i have a 7 disk which are known to rattle alot, but im curious about me not using the original smaller bolts that the converter came with i misplaced them and used different bolts also small very similiar .. im not worried about it made a few wot runs without a problem sure its just the norm for the 7 disk rattling

The bolts were tight on this one too. But they were bottoming out in converter. I put some washers in and it stoped. When it was rattling it sounded like a knock.