Converter going bad??

DR. EVIL

THE DARKSIDE
What would some of the symptoms be of a converter going bad? I have the stock D5 and stock 200 with only 55K on them. I'm having problems at WOT sometimes with it acting like it goes to "neutral" and the rpms go up with no acceleration, but then it shifts normal and starts pulling again...

I've had a tranny that slipped before, and this one isn't doing that. I'm not sure what a bad Converter can do.....

The symptoms you describe sure seem like transmission problems. Some symptoms of dying converters include sluggish acceleration if the sprag is slipping, noise if a bearing or fin is failing, excess heat due to inefficiencies caused by ballooning, bad fins, etc.

Does the car do this from a standstill or do the symtoms appear after the car is underway already?

I mostly notice it after I'm already rolling. I'm pretty sure it will do it from a standing launch too though.

I know very little about trannys, I'm just worried I'm going to get screwed if I have it looked at. They can easily say it needs rebuilt and I wouldn't know the difference!

Originally posted by DR. EVIL

I know very little about trannys, I'm just worried I'm going to get screwed if I have it looked at. They can easily say it needs rebuilt and I wouldn't know the difference!

That's why you send it to Bruce. It'll cost you $150 extra in freight ($75 each way) and you won't have to worry.

How many times have you read here and other places about people who have the "local" experts fix it....and it never seems to be fixed. It just ain't worth the aggravation. Ship it.

Chris

what if the problem isn't mechanical though? I hate to pay $150 and remove and replace the tranny myself all because it had a bad cellinoid or something.....

Have you checked fluid level? Filter appears tight in the bore with correct o-ring and such? Its a place to start. HTH's -Chuck

Dr. Evil, At what shift does the problem seem to be worst at 1 to 2 or 2 to 3? If this is happening 2 - 3 it could be an indication of clutch and or band wear. I would however check these things.

Fluid level.

Fluid color and smell

Trnasmission filter ( Seated in the bore properly and not dirty )

P.S. If in side to check filter do a replacement and fresh fluid anyway. Just helps to make sure.

Also if in trans look for excessive material in the bottom of the pan.

now that you mention it, it shifts into 2nd quite nicely, but the 2-3 shift is the one that "flares" fluid level looks good, color is still redish don't know about anything in the pan and don't know about the filter. I do know that for the first time ever, it's starting to drip tranny fluid on the floor of the garage:mad: theres very little, but it's there none the less.

The dreaded 2-3 flair... tell you what Dr Evil..... I got a hub in Cincinatti. If you are really worried about getting screwed , I could have Lonnie look at it. Give him a email if you wish. Quickv6@aol.com. He works for me and will give you the straight skinny. No worries. But you definitly have something that should be looked at. And I would bet the farm, the converter is NOT the problem..:)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com