Converted To Turbo LS. Does it hurt value?

Well good for you brother I could see why you would want something better than a hot air setup....my car is salvage title as well from a small tree laying over the hood in its past just crinkled the passenger fender and hood and pushed the turbo manifold down about a half inch....car is still in perfect shape and worth its weight in gold to me cause its been a family car of my dads since late 90's...I basically grew up in the thing and thats why I get a little on the defensive side when ppl dog what has been a powerful reliable setup for him...

I personally was burned by the original lc2 that was in the car when I took possesion of it...whether it was fault of me or just the motor letting go it was devastating. Caved the number one cylinder wall completely and the piston was found in a million pieces all over the motor...wrist pin was completely froze to the rod....beyond destroyed and this was at 14psi....BUT....it had been rebuilt with hyper pistons many years and 30,000 miles before I had it....my dad was a big block guy and had on occasion had some spirited rides at 21 psi with no monitoring and just small supporting mods...he also told me about when he melted the turbine wheel out the exhaust racing some gto on the interstate....

Point being it was well abused by a not so educated owner...

Now it has a new motor rebuilt by a reputable builder....we will see how long it holds to my abuse but my geuss is without being a dipshit it should outlast many other components on the car for years to come.

Now I have seen knocking precious ls motors at less than 30k miles from working at various dealerships in my life making less power than many a stock setup turbo regal.

You just have to go in with the understanding that there is NNNOOOO such thing as "bulletproof" engine.

Anything can and will break if not treated with respect...just understand that

Wow. A lot of differing opinions on this. My thoughts are if I do go LS I'll change nothing that can't be undone. The car will always be in a state where the V6 can be returned to its original home.

Having done it that's not always an option :(

[quote="gnon18s, " 1990 and my Mom making fun of guys who where swapping "tuned-port" 350's in GN's. I remember her saying "whats the point of owning a Grand National if your going to change the most unique part of the car".[/quote]

I think I love your Mom!!! :)

Well guys the issue is settled. I found a really good deal on a off center S2 complete. I'm picking it up this weekend if all goes well. So I guess I'll stick with six pistons instead of eight.
Well, for now anyway.....

Last edited:
Good choice... eventually ppl will have more respect for anything but an ls that makes power and for the owners with the intellect to make Sooo much power with Sooo much less

Last edited:
From the looks of your signature your not making enough power with the v6 to justify an LS swap anyway.;)

oh im well aware...not chasing any records with this one...just a street car.

Itll handle most of whats out driving around even now let alone when i start dialing it in.
I have other options with less motor that would handle some slower trailer cars.

oh im well aware...not chasing any records with this one...just a street car.

Itll handle most of whats out driving around even now let alone when i start dialing it in.
I have other options with less motor that would handle some slower trailer cars.
Where you live? My car is plated and insured. Maybe we could meet up and do a little v6 grudge racing.;)

negative...i dont do the whole my trailer car is a street car bit....my shit are daily drivers not purpose built money pits

...I chose to mod mine because I do NOT plan to sell it, I wanted it to be fast (without spending $9k for only 400hp), reliable, easy to fix and a good cruising car...

There's a problem if it takes you $9k to make 400rwhp. You can make 500rwhp without even opening up the motor.

Team Banana I do have a friend of mine with a 4 cylinder mustang we setup in mobile alabama that would be more than willing to kick it if your ever down his way...not sure what quarter time its doing now but 120+ mph 1/8th mile car with a 122 cubic inch mitsubishi motor....might hurt your ego and make you go work on that lsx your building ;)

Team Banana I do have a friend of mine with a 4 cylinder mustang we setup in mobile alabama that would be more than willing to kick it if your ever down his way...not sure what quarter time its doing now but 120+ mph 1/8th mile car with a 122 cubic inch mitsubishi motor....might hurt your ego and make you go work on that lsx your building ;)
Yeah I got plenty of buddy's with fast cars. My buddy's Honda runs 159 in 1/4. He can't hurt our feelings so I doubt your buddy can either. I like how the Designated LSX Hater has to get his buddy. I have buddy's that run mid 6's in the quarter on drag radials. Your buddy's 4 banger is probably not going
to impress me or hurt my feelings lol

Yeah I got plenty of buddy's with fast cars. My buddy's Honda runs 159 in 1/4. He can't hurt our feelings so I doubt your buddy can either. I like how the Designated LSX Hater has to get his buddy. I have buddy's that run mid 6's in the quarter on drag radials. Your buddy's 4 banger is probably not going

Just poking the bear buddy

By the way that is a sweet setup you have going on the LS...wish I had those kind of funds

curious whats fastest stock bottom end 109? or even fastest stock iron 109.

Jason White is the fastest 109 and there have been plenty of stock internals well into the 10's.

$30k buys the silver car, the whole thing.