compound boost?

Alex77carr

Hi guys. my name is alex, haven’t been on the forum in awhile because my project has gotten parked under a tree for the past year. but I am damn determined to finish my frame off restoration and build a prow touring 77 nova or die trying.
i know im young, but i have thurley convinced myself that compound boost is the way i want to go, and maybe a shot of nitrous just for good measure.
i have done a little research on the subject, nothing extensive, but what i think i know is this...
a supercharger is great for torque, instant boost right off the line. but on the flipside a supercharger starts getting inefficient at high rpm's. The ratio at which the drag on the motor, and heat generated to the ratio of power produced starts to change the faster the screws spin.
A turbocharger has great efficiency, great for high rpm power. but as we all know you must sit and wait for them to spool up, or have a trans break.
So here is what im thinking...
take my L67 and add big twin turbos. put something like an A/C clutch on the front of the supercharger, so that right before it starts to get at inefficient rpms the clutch will disengage, and by that time the turbos will be spun up, and the little red nova will take off into the sunset, and out run reality its self.
i picture the turbos bypassing the supercharger all together. i notice on my L67 that there is a plate that covers an oblong hole in the back of my intake, maybe i could port that out and just plug my turbos in there? idk what the intercooler set up looks like, but maybe the turbo boost could still go though the intercooler that way? IDK!! one thing im having trouble picturing is deceleration; lets say your supercharger kicks off at 4000 rpms. what happens when you decelerate? Dose the SC kick back in at 3999 and then just bypass it? all i know is that if i let off the throttle at 10,000 and the motor winds down to 3000 and all of a sudden i go wide open throttle again the supercharger needs to kick back in. Im also not positive on how to run the air intake piping? i know all air must be metered though the maf sensor, but if the SC is producing more of a vacuum through the throttle body than the turbos, will that cause some kind of turbulence or rob air from the turbos?
I know the motor must be built well if i hope to reach 45 psi of boost at 10,000 rpms and have the motor stay together for more than 2 seconds.
im thinking of doing ARP everything, smaller SC pulley, find some decent priced forged pistons and rods, blue print and balance everything, port the heads, big valves, stiff springs, intercooler. big injectors, 1.8 rockers, oil cooler, NOS, insane pcm tune,..
i wonder if you could program a sport mode and a economy mode???
the goal is 30mpg on the high way.
Realistically this project will not start for another year or maybe 2, but i find myself daydreaming about this set up at least once a day. dosent matter if im at work or boinking my girlfriend, this idea demands my attention.
So if anyone out there has any ideas or has anything to add or subtract, im all ears..
PS i dont want to spend a dime more than $7000 on the motor. anything over that i might as well build an LS7.
Thanks,
Alex Carr

several twin charged L67's running around out there .

I suggest you do some studying on forums specific to L67 cars such as 3800pro.com , regalgs.org and the grand prix specific forums to get your ideas more grounded in reality , crawl ,walk, run.... 10,000 rpm and 45 psi are not things that have been done before with an L67 that I am aware of

PS i dont want to spend a dime more than $7000 on the motor. anything over that i might as well build an LS7

forget the supercharger but the great thing about turbos is you can drive for economy if you need. Twin turbo and size one smaller the the other to reduce spool lag. Also do yourself a favor and start with an LS based engine ,they are the new small block chevy!

For under $7 grand you want a 10,000 RPM 45PSI 3800 running twin turbos and a ?dissengadging at high RPM? supercharger? How in Gods name did I get to this section of turbobuick.com??? MISSCLICK!!!MISSCLICK!!