Colorado Ttype

krazy86t

Greetings to all in boosted land. i've been a buick guy for a while - started with a non-descript 88 regal that was nearly impossible to kill off. Wanted something worth driving from the 1960's and finally found a 1966 Riviera GS - last year of the 425 Nailhead engine - really fun car.

I've always liked the crazy sleeper style of the 86-87 T-type's - fast cars that look good with a little bondo and bad headliner. Recently found an 86 Ttype that has suffered from the better part of a decade of neglect. The car has potential but will be a lot of work for a few months; engine is erratic, paint is rough, sunroof works but leaks, and the interior carpet and seats will have to be gutted (something about cat piss and mice...).

Just trying to get the car road worthy again and then will deal with the cosmetics. After that probably try to do some easy modifications so that it is a low 12 sec 1/4mi performer. We'll see... I'm sure i'll need advice from the experience on this board.

Will post pics soon.

Hi krazy86t,

I just joined this forum, recently. At least, you've saved the Regal T-type from an even worse demise: parted out, then crushed.
The '66 Riviera GS had an optional 2x4bbl option. You'll get much better mileage from the turboed 6, than the 8-10 m.p.g. from the dual quad 425 c.i..
Definitely, a different type of performance vehicle than the Riv. Good luck on the build.

Nando.

Some pics of the t-type. unfortunately the gentleman who owned it was unable to maintain the car the last several years. the pictures do not accurately depict the work required on this car - odor is not digital yet. Engine performance/drivability is very erratic right now; mostly when the boost starts to kick in. Turbo seems healthy, but the engine falls on its face when it kicks in. Lots of stuff to check: vacuum lines, pressure sealing on the intake air pipes, sensors... I look forward to meeting more of the Buick Turbo folks as we talk about these cars!

45,000 Rivieras built in 1966 model, 4400 got the GS package, only 180 of the GS package got the fabled MZ engine code with factory 2x4's. Mine is not one of those, but it does have 3.42 posi, ST400 trans has switchpitch variable torque convertor,...fast with class!

It gets about 15-16 mpg on the hwy if i can stay out of the QJet secondaries. not bad for a 43 year old, 4400 lb car.

Attachments

• 86t drivers.jpg
    86t drivers.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 128
  • TTO Riv pass sml.jpg
    TTO Riv pass sml.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 86t interior.jpg
    86t interior.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 118
Hi krazy86t,

So, you still own the Riviera GS? Those are Torq-Thrust wheels on the '66? Looks good. And the T-type has Centerline Champ 500s?
What will be your first steps in getting the Regal road worthy? Probably, deal with the interior first, as the smell won't be too appealing for the passengers.
Besides the 1986 GN, I have a 1971 GS-455, and a 1989 Electra Estate Wagon. I'm a member of the Buick V8 forum, as well. Also a member of the GSCA since 1982.

Talk later,

Nando.

Hows it going... where about in colorado are you?? im out in colorado springs.. there are a few of us out here with Buick TRs, if you need any type of help, here will be a good place, if you nedd some help, feel free to drop me a line and i can try to help you out... take care and take it easy... Welcom to the Dark Side....:biggrin:

So, you still own the Riviera GS? Those are Torq-Thrust wheels on the '66? Looks good. And the T-type has Centerline Champ 500s?

Yes, still have the 1966 Riviera. I really enjoy that car! Like you, I also frequent the V8Buick board.

What will be your first steps in getting the Regal road worthy? Probably, deal with the interior first, as the smell won't be too appealing for the passengers.

Engine driveability is the first issue to attack. Once it is driveable, i'll gut the interior carpet and rebuild seats. Starting to look for options on the interior replacement.

Hows it going... where about in colorado are you?? im out in colorado springs..

Cool, nice to meet others in CO with similar boosted interests! I'm north of you in Louisville, CO area.

Yes, still have the 1966 Riviera. I really enjoy that car! Like you, I also frequent the V8Buick board.

Engine driveability is the first issue to attack. Once it is driveable, i'll gut the interior carpet and rebuild seats. Starting to look for options on the interior replacement.

Cool, nice to meet others in CO with similar boosted interests! I'm north of you in Louisville, CO area.

Sounds good.. i think there are about 2-3 other board memeber on here that are from colorado.. but there are other Buick in the area that arent actively on the site. But there are a few running around. There is an event going on on July 3rd in Pueblo Race Track. A board member on here was trying to get as many Buicks together to meet up there.. if you cant make it with youre car, atleast try to stop by and check it out.. might see other Buicks there..:biggrin: