Coilover springs - too firm?

thefairbanks

Hey guys,

I bought a set of the new Viking front coilovers for GM cars and installed them this weekend. Once I lowered the car, I found the front end was sitting way too high, even after adjusting the ride height of the coilover all the way down (by high, I mean higher than stock even).

It's a '79 Cutlass with a NA Buick V6, soon to be swapped for an '87 GN 3.8. The spring rate of the coils on the coilover is 450#. I plan on using the car in autocross from time to time.

Is this too stiff of a spring for a V6? I keep getting mixed answers from the tech lines. Some say they use 450# QA1s no problem (I believe the QA1 spring is 9", as opposed to the 10" Viking, not sure if that matters). Others are saying for the V6 I should be using 350# springs.

My only guess is the spring is too stiff and that's why it sits up, but I'm open to other ideas. They are prperly seated in the perches too.

did you roll the car about 10feet to unbind the suspension after you set it down? you can sometimes get aver an inch of drop from just doing that..
a 450# spring isn't too stiff- IROC Camaros have a spring in the 600# range, and i had springs in my Nova that calculated out to almost 800# and it didn't ride too rough or sit too high- and the car only raised up right around inch when i took the motor and trans out, which was kind of weird because i wasn't used to that...
the car sits high because the spring is too long, not because it's too stiff.
find a shorter spring with the same rate.