Coil pack question

cam9457

Ryan
I've got a question....changed out the factory coil pack today and when I pulled the old factory pack off the area underneath looks like glue soup...Like a soupy sticky light blue soup...that isn't normal right?

Attachments

• pack soup.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 99
That is a normal Tho not desirable thing that happens to the potting material after years of use, it seems that time and heat break the material down and into glue.

Some will say it is a sign of a bad ignition module But I have not found that to be 100% true as
I have seen modules that look exactly like yours [And my back up coil/module] and they worked
Fine with no issues.

Should I try and scoop it all out or just leave and hook the new pack up and see how it works?

Should I try and scoop it all out or just leave and hook the new pack up and see how it works?

leave it there its purpose was to hold and protect the components in the module. It is not hurting any thing.
were you having an issue with your car?

Yeah the car has quite a few issues... I just bought it a few weeks ago from the original owner, 50k miles and BONE stock. But it's ROUGH. It has a "smoking issue" the old man I bought it from didn't care to deal with so he just stopped driving it over a year ago. It smokes likes I'm spraying for west nile virus as soon as I start it up. Puffy white smoke, I know I'm likely looking at a head gasket but I'm doing a spring cleaning and then some just because it needs to be done anyway. Funny thing is no oil in the coolant or vise versa. I ran into the glue soup issue while changing out the coil pack...one of many issues

Yeah the car has quite a few issues... I just bought it a few weeks ago from the original owner, 50k miles and BONE stock. But it's ROUGH. It has a "smoking issue" the old man I bought it from didn't care to deal with so he just stopped driving it over a year ago. It smokes likes I'm spraying for west nile virus as soon as I start it up. Puffy white smoke, I know I'm likely looking at a head gasket but I'm doing a spring cleaning and then some just because it needs to be done anyway. Funny thing is no oil in the coolant or vise versa. I ran into the glue soup issue while changing out the coil pack...one of many issues

Rent a radiator pressure tester from auto zone and see if the system holds pressure.

Does the smoke go away after a minute or two?

Also could be the turbo oil seal and the exhaust valves have no seals from the factory
and the oil can trickle down the stem during shut down but this results in a puff out the exhaust when
started and usually only happens on cars that have been run real hard.

Wow that's a great idea with the radiator tester! Unfortunately the smoke does not go away after running but to be honest I've been afraid to let it run any longer then a minute or two to get it onto the trailer or from the trailer into the garage. When I pulled the intercooler there was no much oil inside it or much accumulated anywhere from turbo to throttle body, a little but not much. The drivers side valve cover is leaking A LOT! When I pulled the forward plug on the drivers side it was soaked in oil but it's leaking straight down from the valve cover.
I will absolutely try the pressure tester tomorrow! Hopefully will have time to drain the gas tank and upgrade the pump and install the hot wire kit as well

Wow that's a great idea with the radiator tester! Unfortunately the smoke does not go away after running but to be honest I've been afraid to let it run any longer then a minute or two to get it onto the trailer or from the trailer into the garage. When I pulled the intercooler there was no much oil inside it or much accumulated anywhere from turbo to throttle body, a little but not much. The drivers side valve cover is leaking A LOT! When I pulled the forward plug on the drivers side it was soaked in oil but it's leaking straight down from the valve cover.
I will absolutely try the pressure tester tomorrow! Hopefully will have time to drain the gas tank and upgrade the pump and install the hot wire kit as well

Best of luck to you sir. keep us posted, sounds like you have a nice project on your hands.

I will definitely check back in tomorrow and let you know what I found with the pressure test! I'm sure I'll run into more issues tomorrow as well with all I have planned to do. Thanks again!!!

I rented the pressure tester from Auto Zone and hooked it up. The cap said 15 psi so I pumped it up to 15 and let it sit...5 minutes and no change. Came back 30 mins later and still holding dead on at 15 psi. However when I took the rad cap off it had some junk on it which I can't tell if it's the dreaded "milkshake" or if it's just scale/build up from never having the coolant changed. I also took a pic inside the resivour, again not sure if what I'm seeing is milkshake or just old scale/build up. So the system is holding pressure but I'm unsure if what I'm looking at in the pics is the dreaded milk shake?

Attachments

• Slime on cap.pdf
    10.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Inside .pdf
    9.1 MB · Views: 102
Sounds like the turbo seals went south.

Also if the original emission hose is hooked up to the inlet bell that could also be another source of smoke.

From what you describe it sounds like the turbo seal is bad for sure though.
Check the turbo for shaft play up/down and in/out.

You definitely need to do a spring cleaning since you just bought it and have no idea what has or hasn't been done by previous owner/s.

Sounds like the turbo seals went south.

Also if the original emission hose is hooked up to the inlet bell that could also be another source of smoke.

From what you describe it sounds like the turbo seal is bad for sure though.
Check the turbo for shaft play up/down and in/out.

You definitely need to do a spring cleaning since you just bought it and have no idea what has or hasn't been done by previous owner/s.
Is there a way of checking the shaft for play without a specialty tool? Just using my hands it doesn't move in any direction. The smoke is very white and puffy too, if the seals on the turbo were bad wouldn't the smoke be more of a black/blueish color?

Is there a way of checking the shaft for play without a specialty tool? Just using my hands it doesn't move in any direction. The smoke is very white and puffy too, if the seals on the turbo were bad wouldn't the smoke be more of a black/blueish color?

Just take the inlet hose off the turbo or the two bolts on the inlet bell for better access and you can just use your fingers to see if the compressor wheel moves in and out or up and down.

And to answer your last question, no it will be white like your fogging for bugs like you described.

A little play is normal on the kind of mileage you have but just a little like barely moves up and down, and none at all if the motor has just been run as the oil film on the bearings should take up any play but you should have no in and out play at all.

A little play is normal on the kind of mileage you have but just a little like barely moves up and down, and none at all if the motor has just been run as the oil film on the bearings should take up any play but you should have no in and out play at all.
It does have a tiny bit of up and down play, not much but if I manhandle it it does move

Attachments

• turbo play.pdf
    10.8 MB · Views: 73
I just rechecked the coolant pressure tester that's been on for three hours or so and it's still holding at 15psi. Does this method work with the spark plugs still in?

I just rechecked the coolant pressure tester that's been on for three hours or so and it's still holding at 15psi. Does this method work with the spark plugs still in?
Yes.

You need to flush the rad real good it's a mess.

You don't have a bad H/G.

Your welcome.

If the turbo is good and I can't tell you that is or isn't from that pic, you can look in the intercooler and throttle body for oil getting sucked in the intake.

Take the hose off the inlet bell and cap it and drive it for about ten minutes to see if it clears up and stops smoking.

I'm still not ruling out the turbo itself but try that and see what happens.