code 42 exhaust glowing red

williambavila

William Avila (The Buick Guy)
Need a bit of help, I have a car here that hasn't ran in years, I finally got the engine installed and noticed the module plug was a little screwed up. The 1st wire torwards front of the car was broke. I replaced the pin/plug and car will start but will not stay running without tps around 1.0ish(foot on pedal) if I keep it running the headers get REALLY hot and turn red.
My initial thought is the connector may be having issues making contact and it's throwing a code 42 only, chip and injectors match, fp is set at 43psi, blms are about 150 with my foot on pedal. Any other ideas? Replaced coil/module with known working one too.

Sounds like severe timing or fueling issue (very lean)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the spark module connector the one with the damaged pin? Is the spark module known to be good?

I have a spare spark module I could send you if you wanted to give that a shot, it coded "BLO" iirc it's the the best one to have but works just fine.

The module works fine on the other car I have and I have also used the module from that car on this car. So I would assume both are good. The connector is not that great I am still trying to find one to replace this one. I assume that is my issue.

With that being said I would have to assume its a connector issue as well, there could be high resistance or drop in voltage at the damage area causing your issue.

I'm sure you have already done this, but did you check all the grounds? Especially the ones on the back of the right cylinder head.

William, which wire terminal on the connector is the damaged one?

With that being said I would have to assume its a connector issue as well, there could be high resistance or drop in voltage at the damage area causing your issue.

I have a new pigtail on the way from caspers now I sure hope that is the issue. I dont see how it could be a timing chain issue but in the back of my mind I keep thinking that. I am certain its right but its in my mind. LOL
I dont think that would cause the code 42 but I will swap the plug and go from that point

With code 42 present the spark timing is fixed at 10* BTDC.

Code 42 is caused by a failure of the signaling between the ICM and the ECM. Odds are the new pigtail will fix it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It's been my experience that when the header glows red like that the car is running pig rich and fuel is still burning in the pipe. Are both sides red ? If just one side then you might have a stuck injector on that side

It's been my experience that when the header glows red like that the car is running pig rich and fuel is still burning in the pipe. Are both sides red ? If just one side then you might have a stuck injector on that side
I am sure its lean rather than rich but what do I know

Need a bit of help, I have a car here that hasn't ran in years, I finally got the engine installed and noticed the module plug was a little screwed up. The 1st wire torwards front of the car was broke. I replaced the pin/plug and car will start but will not stay running without tps around 1.0ish(foot on pedal) if I keep it running the headers get REALLY hot and turn red.
My initial thought is the connector may be having issues making contact and it's throwing a code 42 only, chip and injectors match, fp is set at 43psi, blms are about 150 with my foot on pedal. Any other ideas? Replaced coil/module with known working one too.
While the engine is cranking and below 400 rpm,the timing is controlled by the ignition module. After the rpm signal exceeds 400 rpm,the computer sends a 5 volt signal on the bypass circuit 424 terminal B of the module connector. Timing is then switched over to the ECM through the EST circuit 423 terminal A of the module connector. In your case,the timing is never switched over to the ECM and remains very retarded. This is why your headers glow,because the burn event is taking place very late in the cycle and so much fuel is being burned in the exhaust stream. If either 423 or 424 circuits are open or grounded,you will experience what you are experiencing. If the module isn't bolted securely to the mounting plate or the mounting plate isn't bolted securely to the intake and a good ground isn't established,you will experience the same symptoms of retarded timing,red hot headers,and code 42. The module receives ground through the mounting studs.

While the engine is cranking and below 400 rpm,the timing is controlled by the ignition module. After the rpm signal exceeds 400 rpm,the computer sends a 5 volt signal on the bypass circuit 424 terminal B of the module connector. Timing is then switched over to the ECM through the EST circuit 423 terminal A of the module connector. In your case,the timing is never switched over to the ECM and remains very retarded. This is why your headers glow,because the burn event is taking place very late in the cycle and so much fuel is being burned in the exhaust stream. If either 423 or 424 circuits are open or grounded,you will experience what you are experiencing. If the module isn't bolted securely to the mounting plate or the mounting plate isn't bolted securely to the intake and a good ground isn't established,you will experience the same symptoms of retarded timing,red hot headers,and code 42. The module receives ground through the mounting studs.
Thank you I will try this also.

Triple check your spark plug wiring . The only time I had my headers glowing was when I had 2 wires swapped . Something easy to check bud .