Chirping the tires in 2nd

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
Simple question what upgrade should I do to my trans in order to get firmer shifts? I would like to be able to chirp the tires going into 2nd at will

presuming the transmission is in good health to begin with, making the 1-2 shift "hit" harder is fairly straightforward. Do you want the other shifts firmer also?

it might make sense to install a complete kit from one of the buick vendors, as opposed to just tweaking one thing.

Bob

presuming the transmission is in good health to begin with, making the 1-2 shift "hit" harder is fairly straightforward. Do you want the other shifts firmer also?

it might make sense to install a complete kit from one of the buick vendors, as opposed to just tweaking one thing.

Bob
I would like all gears to hit hard

Ask some of the older guys, It can be made to shift pretty hard. But the harder it shifts the harder it is on all the components. This is why the billet shaft forward drum, the billet band anchor pin and other parts were developed. A firm quick shift is really what you need to go fast though I can see why a chirp into second sounds cool. I used a sonnax servo in mine but Chris at CKPerformance.com makes some pretty nice stuff and David Husek should be able to put together what you need. I didn't use a kit(Did someone say turbo Buick owners are cheap?). I did a lot of reading, swapped some springs and drilled some of the vb plate holes bigger. PM me if you want more specifics but a call to one of the venders should get you what you want.

You could get a .500 TV valve and a Soonax Servo for your BR3 tranny. From the factory, 84-85 Tranny did not chirp 2nd gear like 86-87 trannys. B& M shift kit shifts HARD thru all gears. But many did not like the spacers/washers used in the kits. You would not go wrong with a kit from CK, Extreme Automatics or Husek...

I miss that second gear chirp when I had a stock car in HS :) I used to love driving in front of school going home driving normal and then second gear "bark" would catch everyone's attention lol.

Ask some of the older guys, It can be made to shift pretty hard. But the harder it shifts the harder it is on all the components. This is why the billet shaft forward drum, the billet band anchor pin and other parts were developed. A firm quick shift is really what you need to go fast though I can see why a chirp into second sounds cool. I used a sonnax servo in mine but Chris at CKPerformance.com makes some pretty nice stuff and David Husek should be able to put together what you need. I didn't use a kit(Did someone say turbo Buick owners are cheap?). I did a lot of reading, swapped some springs and drilled some of the vb plate holes bigger. PM me if you want more specifics but a call to one of the venders should get you what you want.
Thanks for the info, I want to get a lil more out of the car before I pull the motor

I totally get it. Like most, My gs 455 chirps em all on command. Nothing cooler than launching on the street. the 275 's dig in pretty quick after
The initial break followed by the healthy bark from the shift to 2 nd and then again for 3 rd. I especially enjoy it when I'm next to one of those Stupid hopped up rice burners That are revving up their Lame 4 banger with a chainsaw muffler. The gs trans is just a plain old th400 with no mods. The gn is similar and shifts hard too but even with smaller tires the shift bark just isn't the same as the gs's.

Sounds like you just need to give her a little more gas on takeoff...LOL
Mike

I miss that second gear chirp when I had a stock car in HS :) I used to love driving in front of school going home driving normal and then second gear "bark" would catch everyone's attention lol.
I was think the EXACT same thing. I drove my dad's 87T a few times in high school and I knew exactly where to have the throttle for it to bark on the 1-2 shift.
Now I have my own 87, makes twice the power, big DRs, I built the trans, and it doesn't bark like it dad's used to on the stock car with stock tires lol. It either spins hard in top of first, or hauls ass lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk