Chirping the tires in 2nd

A loose converter will minimize the bark same thing with drag radials.

For me, the best 2nd gear bark came with my old GN with a stock trans, sonnax super servo, and with the TV cable set back a notch or two to increase line pressure. When the trans was swapped with a built trans and converter, shifts were quick and firm but the 2nd gear chirp was gone. Instead, it just continued to shred the tires in 2nd if I stayed into it. Same with the trans I have now in my Limited. Shifts quick and firm and is much better than a stock trans but it doesn't have that hard 2nd gear bark.

Last edited:
Back in '87 I installed a B&M shift kit. I wanted it just a little firmer so I installed the heavy duty towing parts and it shifted softer than stock. I imidiately installed the rest of the parts for the race /strip option and it shifted the same as stock again.
I ran it this way until 1990, when reading the ATR catalog and saw their Art Carr shift kit offered. I had heard really good things about Art Carr so bought a new seperator plate, removed the B&M and installed the Art Carr kit.
It shifted very firm and solid and have been running it ever since. I don't know if anyone sells this kit anymore or something similar.
I would not waste my time or money on the B&M shift kit unless they changed something over the years.

Idk if it matters but my trans tag has CR on it wtf car did these come in I never here people tal about CR transmissions much and when I do they call them scrap metal

5CR 6CR 7CR 305 H V-8 Chevy . Not the SS version. You probably don't have the 2200 D5 converter. This would also mean that the D6 1400 converter, this would explain the car not acting right...

when reading the ATR catalog and saw their Art Carr shift kit offered. I had heard really good things about Art Carr so bought a new seperator plate, I don't know if anyone sells this kit anymore or something similar.
I would not waste my time or money on the B&M shift kit unless they changed something over the years.
http://www.cpttransmission.com/2004R_hitech_nolock.htm

They sell one for lock up converters too but it didnt have a link

http://www.cpttransmission.com/catalog.htm

Give David H a call or Chris C at CK performance either can get you what you want.