Chicago Area V6 Turbo Mechanic

Took my car to Speed Inc. 4-5 years ago for a cam and heads upgrade, they totally screwed my car up.:mad: It was a 55k mile show car with bolt ons that ran excellent and perfect 12 teens at the time and I got greedy and wanted more, was introduced to Tom owner of Speed by a good friend. Picked the car up and it was smoking, they told me oil was on the headers and it would burn off. Took the car home, it ran ok but the smoking got worse. Took it back, received a call a few days later saying it was fixed. Got a ride 50+ miles there, picked it up, drove down the street bucking and smoking. Turned around and went back, they it's wasn't their fault. Had to get a flat bed to tow my car all the way back home at a $100 plus dollars, picking it up from Speed all fixed, yeah right. Had to go to another shop to get my car straighten out and believe me it right, five years now.:D Sorry to rant and the long post,I could go a little deeper but it was just something that had been on my mind for a few years.

supervpp, glad you found someone, these cars are a blast when they are right.

so where did you end up going? edited...sorry only read a few posts when i qouted that that one...btw i had issues with street performance...had a engine built and installed there and the HG first time out...they could not tune the car for the life of it and gave me someones number and told me to go there to get it tuned

There are many so called tuners out there and rightfully so, I have seen turbo Buick shops here in the Chicago area come and go. Just remembers when $h!t hit the fan it will be all your fault at the end. I checked out a GN not too long ago that was put together by a local shop ( I am not going to mention any names) with 83lbs injectors and old school DFI. If you really know what the hell your doing, you can get the car to run on 83's with the old school DFI. 72's are the limit they say, I am not a tuner so don't hold me to it. Well this car ran pig rich where the fresh oil smells like gasoline with all the wash down. I told the guy you better get this car tuned right or you are going wipe your bearings out. Well in week or so he did. The shop told him that happened because he was beating on it. The car was only making 8 psi boost.

I will say from all the local guys on the board here, I will say Rick has spent the most time studying and tuning with translators and Mafpro system and he has that figured out to a pretty damn good. He has very good understanding of where everything should be. The most important thing about him is; he is a real good guy and he is willing to help anyone that asks for help. We need more guys like Rick on this board. Kudos to you Rick!!

Larry at ASSC, he does know his Turbo Buicks, he is good at what he does. That being said I don’t know if he the best around here. I have heard stories that I can’t say if they are true or not there are two sides to a story. He may be better than most people.

Now if I were to take my car to some one to tune with a stand alone system like Fast XFI, BS3 or DFI gen 7, I would take it to Bob Kurgan. He has proven to me that he knows what the hell he is doing. Look at Turbo Cliff’s car, it is tuned by him. The car had a tune from a well reputable tuner in the nation but Kurgan was able to get that car to run harder than any stock block car that I have seen around here. He knocked down some unreal dyno numbers on stock block car with a 70 turbo, that is just unheard of on a stock block if all the other parts hold up the car may even get into the eights.

I take my hat off to Turbo Cliff; he spends his money right by buying right parts and taking it to the right guy and tuning it.

Just my $.02

Prasad

^^^^^^^^

:rolleyes: :p :D ;) :cool:
I am so tired of people that have no understanding of tuning, the LC2 powerplant, and personal liability when it comes to these cars....:eek: Who is Turbocliff...:confused: An whats a Translator.....:confused: Can I take my car back to Buick and let them re-tune it?:confused:

I am so tired of people that have no understanding of tuning, the LC2 powerplant, and personal liability when it comes to these cars....:eek: Who is Turbocliff...:confused: An whats a Translator.....:confused: Can I take my car back to Buick and let them re-tune it?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Jiffy lube does a good job tuning these cars, they even have the Buick power six sign........... backwards though but that has to count for something!:biggrin:

I think Turbo Cliff has white T, the motor is N/A 3.8 with Dominator on it!!:D

Assc

larry is now located in a new building in lake villa illinois. he just finished a bbc in gn, with a procharger at 13# running in a 9.20 index class at the grove. his workmanship is excellent. the car is a street car at over 4000#. he can be reached at ASSC, LARRY STAUNER, 847-838-0393.

BOB COFFMAN

larry is now located in a new building in lake villa illinois. he just finished a bbc in gn, with a procharger at 13# running in a 9.20 index class at the grove. his workmanship is excellent. the car is a street car at over 4000#. he can be reached at ASSC, LARRY STAUNER, 847-838-0393.

BOB COFFMAN

I know the owner of that car and he deserves it so much! I wish him the best of luck with it and can't wait to see it in person. :cool:

Jiffy lube does a good job tuning these cars, they even have the Buick power six sign........... backwards though but that has to count for something!:biggrin:

I think Turbo Cliff has white T, the motor is N/A 3.8 with Dominator on it!!:D[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with that... dude? I get my oil changed there.:biggrin: I just hate when "the new guy" sticks his finger in the overflow bottle and says, "that couldn't be water":rolleyes:

Oh, I know who he is, the only white T around that I haven't put the smack down on.... yet;) (I'm going to get it now)

Oh, I know who he is, the only white T around that I haven't put the smack down on.... yet

jazjam, put be in line for one good as smackdown if you don't mine:biggrin:the way i look at it, it's better than an ass whipping:eek:
I should be ready in a week or so:biggrin:

There are many so called tuners out there and rightfully so, I have seen turbo Buick shops here in the Chicago area come and go. Just remembers when $h!t hit the fan it will be all your fault at the end. I checked out a GN not too long ago that was put together by a local shop

Prasad, that started to sound like me:eek: at first until you said a local shop did the work.Is it safe to say the shop is in chicago

Oh, I know who he is, the only white T around that I haven't put the smack down on.... yet

jazjam, put be in line for one good as smackdown if you don't mine:biggrin:the way i look at it, it's better than an ass whipping:eek:
I should be ready in a week or so:biggrin:

Nope, I'm so against black on black crime.:tongue: Thats why Dr. Boost wont change the color of his black TR. Keeps the peace. I cant say the same for Brer Rabbit.(yep he is still around);)
We do have a great group of guys here in Chicago. I love to pick at the ones that I have met so I dont want anyone to take offense to my comments.

I think it's hard for a Buick shop around here to make it because of the different ideas on how to build a TR. Then you factor in the different drivers and their likes and dislikes when it comes to driveability. Now add in the cost to operate a shop like that and what you would need to charge for say an FMIC install or even dyno tune time. Then you need employees that know about these cars. Just because you can change a turbo or put in a alky kit does not make you a GN mechanic.:eek: It's just is not worth the risk at this point in time IMO. Take this for example....a newbie buys a stocker and wants an 11.0 car that he can drive anytime with all the accessories working and OD. He has a Malibu with a SBC with nitrous on it at home that runs 11.20s. What do you sell him...?? Now watch how many combos can get thrown out there with prices from say...$2500 to $10,000.:eek:

Nope, I'm so against black on black crime.:tongue: Thats why Dr. Boost wont change the color of his black TR. Keeps the peace. I cant say the same for Brer Rabbit.(yep he is still around);)
We do have a great group of guys here in Chicago. I love to pick at the ones that I have met so I dont want anyone to take offense to my comments.

I think it's hard for a Buick shop around here to make it because of the different ideas on how to build a TR. Then you factor in the different drivers and their likes and dislikes when it comes to driveability. Now add in the cost to operate a shop like that and what you would need to charge for say an FMIC install or even dyno tune time. Then you need employees that know about these cars. Just because you can change a turbo or put in a alky kit does not make you a GN mechanic.:eek: It's just is not worth the risk at this point in time IMO. Take this for example....a newbie buys a stocker and wants an 11.0 car that he can drive anytime with all the accessories working and OD. He has a Malibu with a SBC with nitrous on it at home that runs 11.20s. What do you sell him...?? Now watch how many combos can get thrown out there with prices from say...$2500 to $10,000.:eek:

Good now i can sleep much better at night:biggrin:i would keep my eye out for Rabbits,their known for give us pick eye:eek:

I am also really starting to think we need to get a good machine shop or two for the Buick stuff. I think that is a major part of the build, as some people seek advice about which long block parts to use off of the their suggestion. I have had hit and miss issues in that area.

I tend to deal more with vendors that post useful info to people in need of assistance. I see some vendors only seem to help the ones that spend money with them directly. That is going to be an issue on this board IMHO.

There are many so called tuners out there and rightfully so, I have seen turbo Buick shops here in the Chicago area come and go. Just remembers when $h!t hit the fan it will be all your fault at the end. I checked out a GN not too long ago that was put together by a local shop

Prasad, that started to sound like me:eek: at first until you said a local shop did the work.Is it safe to say the shop is in chicago

Hey Rich, I am not talking about any of us, I am talking about shops as far claiming to knowing how to tune these cars. If you a XFI, or BS3, there is a lot more than just getting the car to run ok.

Yes, the shop was/is in the Chicago area.:eek:

You hit the nail right on the head brother, the problem is you need someone that is passionate about these cars along with very good understandings and willing to stay on top of what is the newest and the latest. I know a shop that only stays with the old school DFI. I can see that the in the 90's but man this 2009.
I have so many people that ask me why I don't work on other people’s GNs. Well the answer to that is I may have the passion but I have no where near the knowledge or the ability to work on these cars as a profession. I also don’t want the headaches. Besides, I have way too many projects that I may never get to complete even if I lived two life times.

Prasad

Hey Rich, I am not talking about any of us, I am talking about shops as far claiming to knowing how to tune these cars. If you a XFI, or BS3, there is a lot more than just getting the car to run ok.

Yes, the shop was/is in the Chicago area.:eek:[/QUOT

Prasad im just busting my own balls on this:eek:i figured since my dum @ss has to redo what i did about 6 month ago your statement fit me like a glove:biggrin:

By the way everyone im sleeping much better knowing jazjam doesn't condone black on black crime:cool:

You hit the nail right on the head brother, the problem is you need someone that is passionate about these cars along with very good understandings and willing to stay on top of what is the newest and the latest. I know a shop that only stays with the old school DFI. I can see that the in the 90's but man this 2009.
I have so many people that ask me why I don't work on other people’s GNs. Well the answer to that is I may have the passion but I have no where near the knowledge or the ability to work on these cars as a profession. I also don’t want the headaches. Besides, I have way too many projects that I may never get to complete even if I lived two life times.

Prasad

But we do work on other Buicks at the Farm:rolleyes: We'll talk about all those projects later.....

I am also really starting to think we need to get a good machine shop or two for the Buick stuff. I think that is a major part of the build, as some people seek advice about which long block parts to use off of the their suggestion. I have had hit and miss issues in that area.

Rich Sliwinski at Precision Engine and Machine is a sharp Buick engine machinist. He's no secret amongst our big block buick bretheren and he knows the V6's too. His info is here:
Chicagoland Vendors

I've started dealing with him recently and found him to be knowledgeable and straight up, and his work is nice and clean too.