Chevelle Vs. Gn

I think he's got the tools for an easy 11-second car the more I look at this. I think you are going to come up short.

with the slicks his car dosent really have a problem spinning them off the line they only squeel a little

In theory, I agree he has the setup or potential for a high 11 second ride only after lots of practice, patience, ideal track conditions, excellent tuning and a flawless launch and shifting. This is a monumental task and certainly won't be achieved on a 1st at a track vs. a very worth apponent.

Considering the law of probability the fact he has NO track experience I feel the odds against him are astronomical. This isn't considering the fact his opponent won't be familiar with the nuances of his newly built car. Our turbo Regal pilot doesn't have any of this except no track experience. I've owned many turbo powered GM vehicles (1 TTA, 1 Typhoon, 2 GNs) and find them very easy to launch. Just know your car's tuning and sweet spot, brake torque to predetermined RPM and let'er rip at the green. Easy as pie.

Odds are against the Chevelle owner and in favor of our colleague. Close cars such as these always come down to a good driver.

Admittedly I'm biased but I'm a realist and try to place this bias in abeyance.

Originally posted by gnkid1987
with the slicks his car dosent really have a problem spinning them off the line they only squeel a little
I have to respectfully disagree. With that amount of torque, too high RPM and "popping" the clutch will smoke any tires.

" I have to respectfully disagree. With that amount of torque, too high RPM and "popping" the clutch will smoke any tires."

I would have to disagree. I came from the Mustang world where just about 98+ % of the cars are manuals and I have driven and watched many let the clutch out carrying the front wheels on slicks. Your background is more related to launching with an automatic which is very different because it's much softer.

A properly heated slick on a prepped track should hold extremely well, especially with that small amount of torque. He gets the advantage if you don't have the same tires. What could hurt him is a missed shift.

Those tires squeel because he is on the street with several different asphaults and not a prepped track after a good burnout.

I think you're comparing highly experienced manual drivers with lots of track time. From what I read this guy doesn't have that.

This isn't to mention the Chevelle owner won't know his car / engine at all. Takes track time to learn the technique you described.

In contrast our Regal owner KNOWS his car and I say the advantage goes to him. Had the Chevelle owner built up plenty of "stick time" perhaps I'd have a different point of view.

"none of us have track experience. "

I suspect that both will have poor reaction times and I agree with the person that mentioned about the first one out of the hole wins. It should be a good race. I doubt either one kills the other unless the Chevelle owner misses a shift.

He needs to put a real engine in that Chevelle, I have seen a few live and in Hot Rod magazine with big blocks running 9s & 10s on pump gas. I would go 500+ CI with a built TH400, but that's me. If you saw 8/2004 Hot Rod, you see the Pump Gas drags with 41 cars. The fastest was a 67 Chevelle from Oceanside, NY that avaraged 9.40 @ 141 mph on 93 Octane. I was looking for a GN, but no dice.

Originally posted by Marc87GN
"none of us have track experience. "

I suspect that both will have poor reaction times and I agree with the person that mentioned about the first one out of the hole wins. It should be a good race. I doubt either one kills the other unless the Chevelle owner misses a shift.

He needs to put a real engine in that Chevelle, I have seen a few live and in Hot Rod magazine with big blocks running 9s & 10s on pump gas. I would go 500+ CI with a built TH400, but that's me. If you saw 8/2004 Hot Rod, you see the Pump Gas drags with 41 cars. The fastest was a 67 Chevelle from Oceanside, NY that avaraged 9.40 @ 141 mph on 93 Octane. I was looking for a GN, but no dice.

Yeah the thing they dont tell you is the price. To get a full weight Chevelle into the 9's on motor with a big block Chevrolet will cost you well over $10k and probably closer to $20k just for the engine. Not to mention Chevelles running that fast are few and far between.

Don't you guys think it's easier to "pop" a clutch blowing out the tires vs. a descent launch with an auto?

Clutching a car resulting a good requires a lot of things to go right.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Yeah the thing they dont tell you is the price. To get a full weight Chevelle into the 9's on motor with a big block Chevrolet will cost you well over $10k and probably closer to $20k just for the engine. Not to mention Chevelles running that fast are few and far between.

20K would be a bargain. I would spend 20k tomorrow for a mid 9 second pump gas car. How much you think it would cost just to put a GN in the 9s on Race Gas with all good parts to do it consistently? I would guess 10-20K+

Originally posted by ledzeppac
Replied :D

I have been folowing the thread

Let me know too please, this has been an interesting discussion. Good luck, and my money is on you gnkid...striker

hey this is the gn kids buddy wiht the chevelle i just finshed my car and i cant wait to run his gn and as for driving i can drive but i was wondering what is the best way to plot your shift points

Originally posted by Marc87GN
20K would be a bargain. I would spend 20k tomorrow for a mid 9 second pump gas car. How much you think it would cost just to put a GN in the 9s on Race Gas with all good parts to do it consistently? I would guess 10-20K+

Ask someone like Jason Cramer or Nick Micale. I was talking $20k for just the engine. You could go 9's with a Buick engine for less than that.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Ask someone like Jason Cramer or Nick Micale. I was talking $20k for just the engine. You could go 9's with a Buick engine for less than that.

A Pat Musi built 514 ci, which is what I believe it had, should be much less than 20K. I'm sure it costs in the neighborhood of 15K+ for a 9 sec GN in total that will hold together more than a few passes. Also this was PUMP gas 93 Octane. There wasn't a GN on that list. It's safe to say that car was an easy 8 sec car with some spray and race gas.I realize the engine cost alone is much less on a GN, but running C16 is a very different tune. A fully built 1,000 hp capable SOHC 4.6 cost me $3200 and the P&P heads were $1500.

I honestly wouldn't know the $$ involved because I have never built a 9 sec GN. I have built a solid 10 sec daily driven mustang and it cost me about 15-20K when I was finished, but It ran 10s any time of the year and I wasn't worried about anything breaking especially since I drove it sometimes 400+ miles to events. I ran 10s for less than 1/2 that the first time, but I broke 3 pistons, put a hole in the block and broke the trans. Eventually the weak spot is found when trying to take shortcuts.