Chevelle Vs. Gn

gnkid1987

how do you think would win my buddy is buildin a 1970 chevelle 388 stroker 11 to one compresion the car made 430 ft lbs to the back wheels hes running 4 speed muncie with 4.11 and a mini spool and 10.5 m/t the car is fully gutted just cage or my 87 GN running 22lbs of boost with slicks and stock rear end

you say your buddy is building a 388, but you also say he dyno'd 430......what gives?

race him from a 60 roll :)

I would put some 116 in the tank and crank the boost then there should be no doubt who wins!!

:cool:

well you mentioned he's more or less gutted, so he's a lighter than an orig chevelle.....probably still heavier than you though....are you planning on racing on the street or track?

regardless, i believe you will need to be in KILL mode to beat him, as in c16 gas and a real race chip, ie 26* timing or more at WOT

gonna probably need more than 22psi to make your point :)

Like Tyler said, have it set on KILL. That way when you beat him, there is no question who has the quicker car. Don't screw around with this guy. If you run him, rim him to win!!! :D

The GN should clean its clock.
Reminds me of the blow hard that sits next to me at work with his super charged (B&M 162 ci) 383, bow tie heads in a 71 Chevelle. Car runs 12.80's @ 104.

I think you may have your hands full if he can drive that Chevelle. Lightened up it should be a mid /low 11 on slicks launched hard. Its gonna be close..

I would say its gonna be close but then he only dynoed 430 lbs of torque to the rear. It all depends on how his power was under the curve and how much the car actually weighs. If its still a heavy car (3600+) or so it should be able to hit high 11s but so should you. It all depends on getting out of the hole, because who ever gets out better will probably hold the other off. I think its gonna be a close run.

My opinion is it will be a tough battle for you. A Chevelle weighed around 3600-4000 lbs. I think my 71 SS weighed around 3800. So they are pretty close in weight to the GN.

430 ft/lbs at the RW is pretty healthy, but if it's a small block it will not be as fat of a torque curve as a big block.

Bigger turbo and I/C and then there will be no doubts.

Only one way to know for sure - head out to the track.

Originally posted by gnkid1987
i was gonna race him on the track and on the street
how munch boost should i run on a stock motor?

I run 26# of boost on my stock motor w/a TE-44 and 26* timing on 116. I would run more boost but the turbos maxxed at my elevation.

Do either of you have track experience? That can make a huge difference. If you are both new to the track, go a week before the race to practice - a big advantage at the track is your automatic vs. his stick unless he really knows how to drive.

You got a LONG wait before NEW ENGLAND Dragway opens :(

So shall we check back with you in the spring?
Let us know when you go up so we can come & watch.

Otherwise I did not think RI was big enough to have a straight 1/4 mile road :D

XLR8 hit the nail on the head. He's really gonna have to be good at launching his stick car with 4.11 gears. I think that without tons of practice he's not going to find the sweet spot between RPM's, clutch, torque curve, traction and so on. Most people I've raced (informally) who had stick cars blew the tires out on launch because they're inexperienced. Especially with the adrenalin in overdrive, they get over excited and they're spinning the tires and as I'm off and runnin'.

none of us have track experience.

his car is complete with no carpet, backseat and door panel
his car actually has 360rwhp and 430rwtq and he aint to bad at shifting

It ain't the shifting that'll kill him, it's the launch. I'll lay $ he'll smoke his tires at the green.