Cheetah SCS Shifter questions

DragulaGN

Screw TurboClowns.com
Picked up a rear exit shifter...need pics of it installed...and any advise that one could spare. I have the console out and noticed that it will have to be massaged. What about the old shifter brackets. Will they have to be cut out?
Thanks in advance.

This is not a good example of good massage. LOL :biggrin: but it will give you an idea.
IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

What I did was pulled the console plate off set the shifter on the floorboard where I wanted it, figured out the height I need. Then mounted some mounting plates. You can't "well I couldn't" mount the shifter to the stock console plate. I mounted the shifter then slipped the console over the shifter. As you can see I used a black foam type adhesive to clean up any gaps the might be visible around the shifter. Came out very clean. Hope that helps. ;) IT'S A PAIN!

Did you have to cut the old shifter brackets off the floor? Was the hole in the compartment needed to get the cable to fit ? Thanks for the help.

#1Take the whole console and stock shifter out including the shifter cable.
Tuck the shifter light socket up in the dash you will not be needing it anymore.

#2 Get two pieces of cardboard. Make a template of the base of your Cheetah shifter like the picture bellow. Connect them with tape and outline the Cheetah base to the console shift plate.

IMG_0506.jpg

#3 Then set console back in car minus the console plate you just cut out "do not mount".

#4 Take the Cheetah shifter "minus cable" and set it inside the console.
You might need to cut some carpet away for fitment.

#5 Look at the height of the cheetah shifter. It will need to come up to fit flush with the top of your console. Get two plates of Alu/Metal 1/4 thick like pic bellow for mounting the shifter bracket up front, and in rear. You will need a drill and hardware nut's, bolts etc.. I cut some small steel pipe to fill in the gap in between the plate & tunnel where the bolts mount.

IMG_0501.jpg

#6 Once you have everything lined up and ready to mount pull out the shifter & console and reinstall the Cheetah shifter cable. Reposition the shifter back in the location where you have drilled to mount with out the console.

#7 Drill the hole needed for the new shifter cable. "should be on the drivers side of the tunnel.

#8 Now figure out what needs to be massaged on the console for the cable. "remember the console will need to sit flush on the carpet"

#9 Mount Cheetah shifter with your predrilled holes, set the console in place. while still making sure your cut out shifter plate will line up with the already mounted Cheetah.

I hope this helps it's kind of a pain in the A$$.

Thanks for the help. I think im going to try and fab up a bracket that will allow me to bolt it through the floor. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help. I think im going to try and fab up a bracket that will allow me to bolt it through the floor. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have a console that someone "massaged" for an after market shifter, along with the inlay tray, that was cut open for the new handle. Need it? No since cutting up a good console. I have no use for it.

PM me.

Rich

54rich

if no one speaks up, I'm interested in the console, as I have to mod one to fit the same shifter.
thanks

and I'll send millions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just to make you happy !

as long as you accept euros :confused:

if no one speaks up, I'm interested in the console, as I have to mod one to fit the same shifter.
thanks

and I'll send millions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just to make you happy !

as long as you accept euros :confused:

Lee, If you need help with the install been there done that. ;)

OKIE dokie

trans is due in next week,
motor still in the garage almost together,
I have a air shifter set up too, but need programmer
I 'll call ya when I get closer
thanks

I was able to re-use the stock mounting with my Cheetah shifter. You have to make a hole near the driver's side seat belt bolt alongside the console to have the proper routing.

When I get home, I'll post some pics.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks Billy.

PC100007.jpg

PC100008.jpg

PC100011.jpg

PC100012.jpg

PC100013.jpg

PA040046.jpg

PA040047.jpg

PA040050.jpg

Pay no attention to the shifter cable routing in the first few pics. I had to re-route the cable after I installed the driveshaft. Thought I would be able to strap the cable to the tunnel but couldn't, thus had to re-route it. You can see the cable exit in one of the pics.

I laid the shifter on the rear stock mount and drilled 2 new holes in the shifter base. Tighten the rear mount first so it can level out the shifter. I then placed spacers under the front mounts to take up the place. I removed the rear shifter mounting tabs (doesn't show in the pics, did it after)

I made a "U" shaped bracket, the width of the inner console. I mounted this bracket on the factory front shifter mount. You need this bracket to hold the front portion of the console so it doesn't move around. You will see the head of a 7mm screw in the finished pics. You loose the front mounting means when you cut the plastic on the console.

I bought an extra console and hacked that one instead of my OEM one. You can re-use the console cover. I moved the OEM shifter bulb into the center console for light. I got the console applique from Mark Huffman. Hopefully he still has the pattern.

I used the micro switch that came with the shifter. It mounts to the front of it. This switch is used as the neutral safety switch (I don't have my column linkage hooked up). I took the small wire off the starter, extended it and connected it to one side of the shifter switch. Then took the other wire from shifter switch and connected it to the starter where the small wire gets connected to.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks for the pics Billy...

Im going to try and fab up a bracket that will allow me to set the shifter on top of the trim plate, without leaving a gap around the shifter base. I'll post up pics if I can get it accomplished.

Im glad someone took the time to write these instructions. Ive done one ... my own and have refused to do them for other people. My install looks just like the one above. The rear exit cable really complicates things but this shifter is the best.

I started fabbing the mounting bracket tonight. If all goes well, with my design, you should be able to mount the shifter with NO GAP!!!!!!We shall see!

I started fabbing the mounting bracket tonight. If all goes well, with my design, you should be able to mount the shifter with NO GAP!!!!!!We shall see!

You can make the front and rear with no gap with a slip fit but the sides :confused: i don't think so. Remember you have to slip it over the Cheetah base with out scratching the black paint. :redface:

P.S.
ALSO????? IF YOU EVER WANT TO HOOK UP THE AIR SHIFTER YOU NEED THE SHIFT GATE LIKE MINE. It's $86 with all the stickers from SCS in FL. Now is the time to do it.

Good Luck ;)