center support play 2004r

cdw1946

hi. i seem to be having a problem trying to get center support play. the center support does not want to go all the way down so the snap ring will go on. it seems to bottom out on the direct drum and i cannot see the two bolt holes where the center support bolts go. i put some gear marking compound on the center support and it left a mark on the direct. it may be the direct and forward are not seating far enough, i just don't know. the parking paw is in the right spot and output shaft play is 8-10. this trans was taken apart for some upgrades (better sun shell,stater support,repair direct,and better solid teflon rings) and it was in perfect condition as nothing was burnt or worn out. got any ideas? thanks much.

Guess you're not getting the forward clutches all the down on the front gear. Are the clutches all lined up when you pull the forward back out?

1) Either the clutch disks on the forward or direct drums are not lined up. 2) Used the wrong backing plate on the forward drum. Should be tapered. What size selectable spacer did you use on the front of the output shaft? How much further does the center support need to go to line up?

1) Either the clutch disks on the forward or direct drums are not lined up. 2) Used the wrong backing plate on the forward drum. Should be tapered. What size selectable spacer did you use on the front of the output shaft? How much further does the center support need to go to line up?
got a few things to try. just been a little slow this week. thanks

Guess you're not getting the forward clutches all the down on the front gear. Are the clutches all lined up when you pull the forward back out?
been checking it without drums loaded. i think the nylon washer on the output shaft is too thick. it measures .095. put the center support on without direct and forward in to see if the center support will go all the way down so i can put the snap ring on. all was good. hope to get some time tomorrow and fri. i'm in the middle of adjusting the power windows on my vette (71). i think that job will test my patients big time.

Slight possibility that the center sleeve has walked out of the center support.

I'd also suggest making sure that the rear direct drum bushing isn't seated too far in the drum (only when using a wide pump bushing) because I know that clearance can get kinda close but if the gear marking compound is telling you the drum is all the way on the support, then that won't be an issue.

Slight possibility that the center sleeve has walked out of the center support.

I'd also suggest making sure that the rear direct drum bushing isn't seated too far in the drum (only when using a wide pump bushing) because I know that clearance can get kinda close but if the gear marking compound is telling you the drum is all the way on the support, then that won't be an issue.
i did use the wide bushing and installed it with a bushing driver,went well. i think the small nylon output shaft washer is too thick.i'll try to get a few of them next week. i did a test fit to see if the center support would go all the way down and seat on the ledge it is supposed to be on.it did very well. i think right now that i need a thinner output shaft nylon washer to get my clearance. it's close now.direct assembled to forward has the 5/8 inch per book. the washer i'm talking about is the one with the tab on it,don't know if i'm calling it the right name. can't use the thicker one right now and was thinking about sanding it down for test fitting while i wait for the thinner ones to arrive. anyone ever done that? thanks for your reply, i let you know the progress.

Set it in without the tab washer & measure the endplay, if you have less than the thinnest washer something might be wrong.

.095 is about a #6 or 7 washer. Going all the way down to #1 will gain you .025-.030. If you're farther off than that, something is definitely wrong.

.095 is about a #6 or 7 washer. Going all the way down to #1 will gain you .025-.030. If you're farther off than that, something is definitely wrong.
yes, i'm going to take it down to check things out. maybe try a different way to take up output shaft end play. didn't have the washers on hand so i put an extra snap ring (.062) on the sun gear. i'll have to get some of the washers from one of the suppliers. this trans had about .052 end shaft clearance when it came into my garage and everything in side looked perfect. makes you wonder how much is enough. book says ..2-..4 and most say .010 is good. i did turbo 350's for years and i saw some of them with 1/4 to 3/8 inch end play without any damage inside. first thing i did when doing a rebuild was grab the end shaft and pull on it. these 2004r's are probably different so i'll go by the book. i set the end play on the bench and then deal with my home made yoke fixture for the output shaft. not the same way for 350's. i set the shaft so the pawl is where it should be. seems to always be a little tighter when i put it in the case. i'm getting about .020 center support play without any nylon tab on the end of the shaft. i'm wondering about when you can take the yoke fixture off the output shaft. after the snap ring or after complete assembly. anyway thanks for the reply and i will keep informed of progress. btw after the snap ring install i had .020 too much and i had my machine shop guy take off what would be enough. hate to take such a small job to him so thats why i'll try to get some of the washers