Casper's thumbwheel chip...can anyone tutor me?

Maltman

The thumbwheel is what I have....but would I get better results from a custom burn chip. I pretty much figure on running 100 octane for as long as I own it, so I don't know if I'm missing out on anything by keeping the adjustable chip.

It doesn't seem like many people are running this, so I'm starting to second guess the purpose and performance of the wheel....

I guess I just want to make sure that I'm taking full advantage of what is there.....since the thumbwheel only does a few things (at least as far as my knowledge goes)

....or isn't their really all that much to gain? Basically, I don't really know what is better and could use the advice ;)

Thanks,

Mark

The Casper thumbwheel is a fine adjustable chip as long as it was programed for your engine's components. I personally know people who have run it. The adjustabilty is what enables you to fine tune your air/fuel ratio.
I would not change back to a single program chip if I were you.

I had it for my stock injectors and liked it. I usually ran 100 UL and used postion #5. When I had a lot of driving to do and didn't want to burn 100 UL or it wasn't available used #3 and your good to go. Race gas? Pos #7. I used the anti-theft #0 everytime I parked the car. If you needed a chip and you ONLY ran 100UL - then the Ultrachip would not be worth the money. If you switch between gas I would reccomend it. Since you already have it I would not change it. You would probably not see a difference with a "custom" chip.

Mark,
I use to run a thumbwheel and it worked great. I even had Joe Lubrant burn me a custom thumbwheel for my combo. It was about $100. I ened up selling it along with my 009's when I upgraded injectors. It doesn't leverage the 'extender' capablities of your translator/LS1 but I don't know that your current set up would need that. You may want to ping Bob B.

Bet your a happy guy with that MAF dropout problem behind you!

I have a caspers chip burnt for my combo and i would never go back to a single chip.It makes life so much easier when it comes to tuneing my car.I have diff timeing settings for diff fuels and boost that i am running with.The trick is to have the chip made just for your cars combo setup.:D

Originally posted by JeffG
Mark,
I use to run a thumbwheel and it worked great. I even had Joe Lubrant burn me a custom thumbwheel for my combo. It was about $100. I ened up selling it along with my 009's when I upgraded injectors. It doesn't leverage the 'extender' capablities of your translator/LS1 but I don't know that your current set up would need that. You may want to ping Bob B.

Bet your a happy guy with that MAF dropout problem behind you!

Very happy :).....and I should be studying...but this was a year in the making!

Quick questions:

1. What combo needs the use of the capabilities found in the translator?

2. Humberto....would the size of turbo, type of IC, exhaust, or anything outside of the injectors make a difference with my chip.....since the only thing asked for was the inj. size when this was purchased?

....thanks for the replies,

Mark

Again, shoot Bob an email on the specifics but the extender chip is used to put the computer back in control of the fuel with high air flow large injector combo's. I run 55's with a T64e turbo, ported heads and roller cam so the extended range on the MAF is a plus. Not to mention the other great features the chip has
http://www.ramchargers.com/RamNews/Translator/extender_manual.htm

To answer your second question......things outside the injector definitely make a difference.