Car Trailer Paint???

onebadsix

Ive sanded the deck down on my open car trailer and im not sure what the best way to treat it , it is out in the weather in the winters . Im thinking oil base primer , oil base paint , clear coat , like varathane. suggestions?????

Thanks
Randy

1987 Buick Grand National

None of those paints are generally considered suitable for a house deck or porch ... won't hold up to foot traffic, standing water, etc. I'd imagine a trailer deck would be similarly harsh.

POR15 primer followed by a POR15 topcoat would be very rugged, dureable, and resist rust. Bare metal would first require treatment with an acid based cleaner (eg, POR's "metal ready" product) to improve primer adhesion.

Another possibility is 2-part epoxy paint, the kind you'd paint a garage floor with. But it should be an epoxy specifically rated for application to steel, not just to concrete.

Since welding some extra tie down loops to the deck of my steel tilt bed open trailer and then trying to spot paint them to match only to come to the conclusion that I dont like the looks so Ive considered a few options. One of which prolly wont be cheap but will prolly be the most durable is taking it to one of the local truck accessory shops and having them coat the deck with the spray in bed liner stuff.

IMO it not only will be durable but also easier to load vehicles when its damp/wet not to mention a wet steel trailer is pretty slippery climbing around on it (yes, Ive slipped and busted my hind end a couple of times).

Dunno if youve considered the spray in bed liner stuff but after talking to some ppl who are in the business none of them can come up with a reason why it wouldnt work and last the life of the trailer.

You could always have it sprayed with Rhino liner. Very tough and seems to last...

Just a thought..
:D

I remember watching some DIY boating show a few weeks ago and they applied a paint/coating to the deck of a boat they were restoring with traction grit mixed in it. If it's tough enough to stand up to the weather and traffic on a boat deck it should fit the bill for a trailer deck too. Unfortunately I can't remember the product name or maufacturer.

I had my open car hauler coated with Gator coat (similar to Rino lining).

Help up perfectly!!!

Have since gone to an enclosed hauler.

Originally posted by Sleeper-6
I remember watching some DIY boating show a few weeks ago and they applied a paint/coating to the deck of a boat they were restoring with traction grit mixed in it... Unfortunately I can't remember the product name or maufacturer.
Clean, washed white sand will do the same thing. It's often sold at paint stores for this purpose. Only needs a few ounces of sand per gallon of paint.