Car isn't mph'ing like it should.. Advice? Bison lol?

JDSfastGN

So I just got back from Noble racing in the Buick vs Ford shootout. I won my race but the car was pretty off. I recently upgraded to K-Motion K-750 valve springs setup at 1.65. The car now pulls clean to 6000 without much drama. I was really expecting a 128-130 pass out of it but was sadly mistaken. Here are my slips and power logger runs.

1st run was 21-22 psi and I launched at 5 psi off the transbrake. 23/21 timing, single nozzle at 7. The knock is false and seems inconsistent. The Commanded A/f ratio was 10.5 1/2 and 10.4 3/4

2nd pass was 23-24 psi with no other changes but less knock (picked up in the 1/8th but lost in the 1/4)

3rd pass I bumped the boost to 25-26 and still kept the a/f at 10.5-10.4. By this time Ive realized that right off the trans-brake the car is either blowing through the low clutches are instantly shifting into 2nd killing my 60s. This sucks and I will fix it but it still isn't picking up mph from the 1/8th the the 1/4.

This pass I leaned it out to 10.7:1 and made no other changes. I saw a big jump in mph and thought i was on the right track.

The final pass the powerlogger didn't record but there was .5 knock and no changes.

My concerns are..... the car has been 127-128 before in similar weather at the same track. Losing most of 1st gear obviously hurt it a bit but it should still be picking up 25-26 mph out the back door. Converter efficiency seems to be i the 14-16% range, which isn't great, but with 3.23s and 28" tall tires its tough to couple at 5200 rpm I guess? Any thoughts or ideas? Its an .85 housing on the turbo and I honestly don't remember if I have even run it with that housing or not. No smoke or other issues. They were brand new autolite 23s gapped at .030. I have a bad tendency of not putting my foot all the way in it until mid 2nd gear so Im sure some will notice that. Does anybody see anything obvious or should I start with a leakdown test?

Attachments

• 1stpassnoble.dat
    130.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 2ndpassnoble119.dat
    145.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 3rdpassnoble.dat
    132.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 4thpassnoble.dat
    117.4 KB · Views: 61
What's the gross lift?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Even if it's only false KR it will still pull timing.

Subscribed

I cannot look at the logs. Does boost hold steady through the entire pull?

It decently steady once in 3rd. its always been a couple pounds less in 1st and 2nd for me no matter the setup. Its probably as much the setup as it is me not putting my foot through the floor board.

I am going to order a new wideband sensor and compare the same a/f ratio with the narrow band and duty cycle just to compare, but leaning away from that since the narrowbands were showing 780s-770s like they usually do at 10.5:1.

Can't see your logs but I'd do a leakdown to make sure you don't have a weak hole. Sometimes that's a problem (burnt rings, cracked ring land, toasted valves) that only would rear its head in a situation like yours - especially since it seems so off from the times in your sig. Using any extra oil? Trans feel good? Also, any idea what your slippage was when the car was running better?

How was the humidity? I have found Thick air really hurts these cars.

Not bad, better than it usually is down in Houston where I usually race. It was mid 70s and 50% humidity. DA was around 22-2300 most of the day. My friend Tims car that is setup very similar was runing 128-129 all day trapping 102 in the 1/8.

Can't see your logs but I'd do a leakdown to make sure you don't have a weak hole. Sometimes that's a problem (burnt rings, cracked ring land, toasted valves) that only would rear its head in a situation like yours - especially since it seems so off from the times in your sig. Using any extra oil? Trans feel good? Also, any idea what your slippage was when the car was running better?

Thats the plan when I get free time. No abnormal oil usage and the trans is shifting fine, but like stated is blowing through 1st gear after the 1st trans brake launch. This certainly hurt ET and may have effected overall mph but it shouldn't effect the back half gains I wouldn't think. My converter has always slipped a bit more than I would like (13-15%), but I always attributed it to 28" tires and a 3.23 not allowing the rpms that most see through the traps, thus it hasn't fully coupled yet.

The slip is not bad IMO. I would lean towards something in the motor or boost related. Post your results after you check compression. Does not sound like a fueling issue unless you are dumping a lot of ally

The slip is not bad IMO. I would lean towards something in the motor or boost related. Post your results after you check compression. Does not sound like a fueling issue unless you are dumping a lot of ally

Alky is only a single nozzle Alky control set at 6-7. It picked up when I leaned it out, but it may have been a fluke since it dropped back to 122 without changing anything.

Hey JD, you know better than to compare your to Tim's, his is either going to run or break! :rolleyes::p:p I will give you a call this evening, Jon

Lol that is true, Tim's always runs well without much effort.

Well the compression test numbers are not too hot imo. Here they are. There is enough variance to warrant a leak down test eventually. The test was done after warming it up to 150-160 and all the plugs were pulled. I cranked it with the throttle open for 5-6 seconds (LT4 starter so its a bit slower)

1 130#
3 140#
5 130#
2 141#
4 160#
6 138#

Have you put a little oil in the bores and see if it comes up? Easy way to see if its the rings.

Sent from my LG-C800 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Try letting it go into od and see if some of the mph comes back