car has no power..when you hit the gas it just sputters and wont go anywhere

SickNasty

when the car sits and idles for a second it will take off but then after a a couple seconds of driving it just sputters when you hit the gas and will not go anywhere. it couldn't even pull a hill i had to pull over. It is running super rich bc when i was able to build boost for the short time after letting it sit and idle it was black smoking like a diesel .has a tt street chip set for 16-17psi. fuel pressure is around 41-42 line off. i bought a new 02 sensor and that didn't fix it. checked the coil pack with a tester its good. has new plugs...sprayed mAF with maf cleaner to make sure no crud was on it. Scanmaster is not showing any codes. new motor just trying to work out the bugs. when i hit the gas it sounds like a 2 step and just sputters and does nothing. any ideas?
02 milivots or cc was 855-891
af 07
lnt 128
ats 108
iac 2-12 jumping around
tps .46
blm 118
r 850-900
nal 00
sometimes the car will wanna stay revved up around 1400-1500 and just holds there for a while

tried to take it out agian a bit ago..car is somewhat drivable if your really really easy with the peddle and barley throttle into it to a certain point, anything else just falls on its face. car does have a digital dash and the speedometer seems like its off. i know that's a question tt asked when getting the chip. seems crazy but would that cause anything like this? im out of ideas

Major vacuum leak? Do you have a boost/vac gauge? I am going to guess it is almost too lean at idle and opening the throttle makes it ultra-lean with the additional air.

Also do a tap test on the MAF. If it stumbles when you tap on it with a screwdriver handle, it's probably the MAF.

yes have a vac boost guage. it was at 10 a few days ago.. i found a vac leak on the vac block and fixed it.. noticed today it was showing around 15-16 now. what kind of numbers am i looking for? also has a stock maf. I will try that tap test

This might sound overly simplistic but has the up-pipe blown a coupler loose and lets the engine suck unmetered air?

That's pretty common is you haven't upgraded the intercooler couplers yet.

....and do you still have the stock flexible MAF hose (with a big hole in it)?

it has all hard pipes, new couplers, and the good clamps. i looked over all that and it checked out fine

Sounds like a bad maf sensor. This is just an over the internet troubleshooting guess though so i could be wrong.I did have an all stock 87 turbo T back around 1993 and the maf sensor went bad and the engine would spew out black smoke like a freight train and would barely run.

Do you know anyone local that has a known good MAF or a trans/MAF combo that you can put on your car and see?

Even if the MAF ins't bad, the translator and modern MAF is well worth the upgrade. If it fixes the problem that's just gravy.

Also you may want to adjust your TPS. It should be about .42 with key turned to on position (engine does not need to be running) with gas pedal not touched. I went thru the same problem as you with car stalling, sputtering. I ended up replacing the MAF sensor and chip. I installed a TurboTweak chip and standard MAF from Kirban. Car runs great now. Good Luck

already adjusted tps got it around .42-.44 with car off and key on. That was one of the first things i did. If i have to buy a new maf what are the gains of going with a translater and a newer style? does it make that big of difference over stock. I don't know anyone who has buick parts that i could try..that would just be too good.

You might try asking for some help in the Regional forum in the area where you live. There may be someone close to you who can help with troubleshooting or may have some parts for you to try on your car.

Cheaper in the long run, more flow, more reliable. If the car idles get out and tap the maf with the butt of a screwdriver. If she stumbles she's dead.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

tapped the maf with a screw driver and sure enough it stumbled bad. i want to replace this today so i can get it on the road..can u buy a maf for these cars at advanced auto, napa, exc?

You can but it's a dice roll if it will work correctly and for how long. Like stated above, better to save up for or just buy a Tranalator and newer LT1/LS1 MAF.

Matter of fact there is a translator and maf for sale right now in parts for sale shipped for under $200 by someone named huntsg.

Matter of fact there is a translator and maf for sale right now in parts for sale shipped for under $200 by someone named huntsg.
Yep I think he switched to SD2 Mafless .

ok went to oreilys bought a reman maf for 50 bucks. soon as i hooked it up the car wouldn't even run and started throwing the maf code 34 low voltage to sensor . so took it back. are u kidding me??????wtf my old one at least ran. ok fellas my problem is i already have TT chips for stock maf sensor..if i buy a translater will i have to get my chips all redone??? so are u telling me if i buy an oem ac delco it will be a crap shoot on how long it will last?

He doesn't ask for MAF except ensure the stocker has 2 screens. I'd get that translator package I mentioned and don't look back. I bought a set here off a member and it worked out great. Remember, technology has moved forward since the cars were built.