can i get in the 10s with this set up?

dannyv6

86 gn. Ported iron heads, 208/208 cam, pt 54, pt front mount, 50# inj, thdp, 3" exhaust, 3200 stall vig, stock headers, at least 22# boost. 28x9" slicks.
Are 10s possible. Any ideas what i might turn at the track?

I'd say it's very possible, but it will require a good 60' time (1.5's or better I'd say) and it will definately take more than 22lbs of boost cause you have a rather small flat tappet cam and your running ported iron heads rather than GN1's. I would think if you can cut a 1.54 60' or better and are running around 25-27lbs of boost it's very possible. With 22lbs of boost and a 1.6 60' the car would probably run mid 11's or maybe a little better like a 11.30's @116-118mph. It's all about the launch and how much boost your running:)

Anything is possiable;) Your combo sounds like it might work, but more like 28+PSI:eek: How far in the 10's were you thinking? IMO you should step up to a 72 or so in injector if you really want to run 10's.. Do you have a girdle, or caps? If not that would be something to look at in the Future if you are going to be pushing it that hard.. Whats your car weigh? Fuel pump? There are going to be alot of little things you have to take into consideration to really make you car a 10sec buick.. It will atleast take 50 blasts down the track to get a feel of your 60'ft.. 1.60 or so with your setup. Im sure others will chime in, But just rember 10's are alot of up keep ;)
Matt:cool:

Matt I agree, but....

I think 50's will be fine if he just wants to run a 10.90 or 10.80 once in a while, but the weight of the car is a big factor in getting enough injector. I hope he has some staged double pumpers also and as far as the caps and girdle those are always a good idea like you mentioned, but it all depends on how far he wants to push it. 10's are definatley NO easy feat!!! BTW, if you check out www.precisionte.com in the Buick Products section Mike Price ran 10.92 @122mph with a STOCK long block and PT-54 turbo, CAS V4, and 50's so I'd say he has a pretty good chance of running 10's with that combo once he gets everything figured out:)

you don't have enough injector to do it safely, but it can prolly be done.....will require 60' time in the very low 1.5x

my 60' times when running into 10's is 1.4x to 1.52 (off trans brake).......23-4 lbs boost

car weight 3712

I'd have to agree with everybody else. Can it be done? Maybe, but you'd be pushing the envelope so tight, you'd likely be replacing parts more than you'd like.

I'm sure the turbo can get you there, but you'd be driving the injectors way past their limits. Realistically speaking 50's should be safe to the 11.20-11.30 range but not much more.

Better heads and better cam would help.

Lots of folks have dipped into the 10's without anything done to the bottom end, but I'm not so sure I'm that brave.

HTH

All i need is a 10.99 and thats good enough for me. for the fuel pump, Walbro 340 hotwired. I had steel caps put in when the motor was done. So hopefully i wont have a problem there. As for the weight, 3580# with me in there. Is that too much?

I guess i would rather run all day in the mid 11's than have problems with breaking everything to get in the 10s. I pretty much have broke every part possible so far. Gets old after a while.

Well im going to the proving grounds next weekend. Thats the best way to find out what it will do. :)

10ZZZZ??

I don't see mention in your post as to what, if any, you have done to the suspension. I'd also be wondering about 28" tires.[3.70 gear?]
Do you have a trans brake? If not, then the rear brakes will have to be up to holding considerable boost in order to get the short times others are mentioning.
Not hitting the mentioned 1.5 short time will make it VERY difficult to get the 10's you are looking to get, especially w/ a car that's near 3600#.

Here's a bit of data that has been gathered from 1000's of runs.
IF ALL segments of the run are made as follows, the resulting ET is then possible.
60'= 1.49, 330'=4.45, 660'=6.98, 1320'= 11.00@121mph
" 1.46, " 4.36, " 6.81, " 10.75@123.5 mph

You can interpolate and see where you will have to be during the various points on the track to get your 10 time slip.

I'd go to work getting the car to 60' and run some 1/8th runs B4 I leaned on the motor for a full qtr. This will save some wear/tear on the car and allow you to see if the goal is attainable without joining the "DOTC " club!! :eek: :eek:

Notice how a reduction of .003 in 60' results in a reduction at 1320' of .250!!

HTH,