can an o2 cause all this

bryant

i have an 87 gn with the basic mods i just got done replacing cam lifters timing set injectors and chip and now im getting code 45 its running rich at idle and not stable at all on the air / fuel gauge i took it down road it does ok till under boost at about 7 lbs of boost at 25-2800 rpm it will pop and spit and max,s gauge on rich this is my first gn if im right code 45 is a o2 code thanks for any input need all the knowledge i can find out on this

Welcome to TB.com

Code 45 is a rich code. Does not necessarily mean the sensor is bad. You could have something else causing the condition. The o2 is just doing it's job by reporting it.

An educated guess would be a bad maf. Try unplugging it and see how it runs.

Also cam sensor could be 180 out. If you replaced cam, That means you had the cam sensor out. There is a chance that you set it when the engine was on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke. With it 180 out, car will start but run likes you described in my past experiences.

I just had that code. Car ran the same way very very rich and you could see on a scan tool that even at a quarter throttle my maf would be at 255. And when i graphed it with a scanner it was very choppy. Bought a reman from g body and all is well

Also cam sensor could be 180 out. If you replaced cam, That means you had the cam sensor out. There is a chance that you set it when the engine was on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke. With it 180 out, car will start but run likes you described in my past experiences.

When I accidentally installed my cam sensor out 180, it fired up great when cold and ran good. When the engine was hot, it had a difficult time turning over.

so i have a friend with a tr maybe i should try his mass air and check timing again i set timing with a ohms meter but may be 180 out

still got problems

ok guys flipped timing 180 on cam sensor idles alot smoother seems like i drove it seems ok just easing down the road when ya throw the gas to it it goes rich its building alot of boost now but like its falling on its nose the higher the boost gets

At what boost level is it cutting out? Did it have this issue before the cam swap?

Also for the idle issue...do you have any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks before the turbo? What is the int on the scannaster saying at idle? What about the iac number at idle?

no scan master

i dont have a scan master ok this is a story i friend of mine had car it would pop and cut out around 3000 then it just quit so i took it off his hands it had jumped time and the top gear was shredded of teeth i tore into in the timing chain was awful i put new chain gears cam lifters and injectors and red 93 chip now this is whats going on now i have been working on this car for 4 months and had it running for 3 and still cant figure it out at first it didnt pop till about 7 lbs at 25-2800 then i swapped time around 180 on cam sensor i think it was right the way i had it to start with but now it will boost up to almost 20 lbs but pulled alot harder at 7lbs the way i had it so idk a friend of mine used my mass air on his car trouble shooting and it worked fine on his so idk what to do this is my first gn and im am definately lost now i have a few guys here telling me to change o2 sensor i hadnt tryed that yet the way the timing is set now seems to drive better whikle not under boost

no leaks and checked all vaccuum several times checked grounds checked all i know to check

I think you need to post a location. Hopefully someone on here is close by and can lend a hand.