Cam Selection

pvtpilot

2LT USAF
I'm just looking for suggestions for a new cam. I will be replacing my valve springs over the winter and figured I'd go ahead and change the cam so I don't run into problems with the old cam. I'm probably rebuilding my engine this winter or atleast freshening it up. While its out I'm going to do a home porting job to get a little more out of the heads. I'm looking to go low 12s (like 12 flat) in street trim. Anyway what would be a good cam to replace the stock one with. I'm basically looking to do the job once and not have to take everything apart again to swap in a better cam which is why I'm looking to go a little more than stock. TIA.

You want here too many people talking Erson cams, but I've used them on 5 or 6 cars. I like the Erson 202 cam. Back about 1991 Duttwieler built a Stage one 3.8 engine for me and recommened this cam. That engine ran 11.40s at 121 mph with Ron Anderson ported heads and intake, a Stage 2 turbo, which back then was slightly bigger than a stock one, and a stock converter (Why was it so much easier back then?). I sold that engine to Bill Anderson, who was a little bitty kid then. He installed a new turbo called a 60-1 and an AC 9 inch. He ran mid tens at about 125 mph.Then he replaced the Erson 202 with an Erson 214 and picked up 2 or 3 more mph. I like the 214 Erson and have used it in a couple of Stroker engines and am putting the 214 in a new engine. Bennett Racing out of Georgia, $99. Summiy lifters, the HT969's sold by some vendors for $80, can be bought for about $28.

Gary

just digging this up. Anyone else have any suggestions because I'm looking to do this soon seeings that my month long semester break is coming up in a few days. (right after I track down a water leak :mad: and put my interior back in) TIA

The Speed Pro 194/204 is a step up from stock. The SP 204/214 is the next step up. I have only heard great things about these two cams. Do a little board search on them and you will get a ton of info.

Paul

any problems??

I was checking out the 204/214 post going on and was wondering if i'd have any troubles with it seeings that i will be running a stock turbo/ic for now :confused: . Would the 194/204 suit my application beter? i'm looking to do a t-44 and msd 50's in the long run and i don't want to do a cam 2x or is there anything better out there. Right now the 204/214 is looking pretty good.

If your running a stock TC I would stick with the 194/204 . There is a list member (Thomas Chan) who put both SP cams and a few others (Comp , Crane , ESP , Ramchargers , etc) in some sort of cam selection software program . The 204/214 had the highest "overall peak" Torque/HP rating . But, the 194/204 came in with the highest "average" Torque/HP . Maybe Thomas can chime in and give us a real detailed explanation of his findings . A lot of people would be very interested .
I have the SP 204/214 in my car right now and it's been great .I'm running a AC 9" 3000 stall with it and ported heads. Nice bottom end and a "Frankenstein" mid/upper pull that doesn't stop :D . You'll need a long road with this cam if you want to find the top :D .

Anyone out there running the 194/204?? Chime in with some opinions. A little more info.. I am running a stock torque converter but I'm thinking my trans is going to die in the spring so I'm probably going to go a little looser to make room for a turbo upgrade (maybe this summer??) I would definately like to keep the power down low.. I want to avoid having to run up in the high RPMs to make power.. just not my style ;) .

Installing the 194/204 cam, which is only slightly "larger" than stock is hardly worth the trouble. IMO. The gains, would be modest at best. The 204 214 would be worth the trouble, and probably give you 3-4 tenths/mph.
However, the stock cam is not bad, and it will take a lot more than a cam change to run 12 flat on pump gas.

I realize that the cam swap won't get me 12s but since I'm rebuilding the engine I figured I'd swap it out. Thats why I'm looking to go with a bigger turbo and things here and there when the money comes around. Right now i'm on a college student budget which sucks but luckily this is the bonus time of the year :D :D so I can at least get the engine rebuilt so it can support the higher power that should be coming. Thanks for the oppinion. How is the power characteristics of the 204/214? Does it keep the down low power? and would my stock TC be a problem running the bigger cam? THANKS

something to consider

Don't know if this is fact or if it even matters to you, but when I had my cam changed from stock to 206/206, the exhaust sound got alot louder. Others have agreed that changing their cam did the same thing to their exhaust note.

Louder exhaust doesn't bother me. Plus, its not my daily driver. BTW, how do you like the 206/206? I'm open to any suggestions.

I don't think you will have a problem with this cam on the stock torque convertor. I am only running a 2800 stall 12" with ATR headers, 204/214 and the PTE exhaust housing on the 44 and it still spools like stock. The bottom end is awesome, compared to the stock cammed 86 in the sig, and the mid and topend is like a freight train. If you do a search, look at the times in the sigs, that people have run with the 204/214. They MPH like crazy, even on pump gas. It is an awesome cam. I'd go for the 204/214, especialy if you are planning on the 50#s and 44 turbo later, its a great combo :D Good luck

206/206

The jury is still out on the 206/206. I'm still breaking in the rebuilt motor so I haven't beaten on it yet. Down low normal driving, except for the louder exhaust, I can't tell any difference from the stock cam.

After breakin of the motor, I hope to gain some snot on the top end with this cam though.

if you are planning in "upgrading" in the very near future I'd also go with the 204/214 . But , if planning on staying with a some what stock combo go with the 194/204 . IMO.

194/204

Hello,I just could`nt resist to chime in.This cam idles great and exhaust at idle sounded quieter.Pulls very strong city driving with great throttle response and running on highway @22 psi boost with alky it pulls like gangbusters.As for the dyno info,from Summit Racing.I just input the compression ratio,heads,intake & length intake runner,TB,turbo,intercooler,boost level,cam selection specs.to view hp,torque,and other info too much to list.
I`m using TE61,Cas fm,70 mm tb,7.75:1 compression ratio,
TRW piston,steel main centers,rollmaster double roller,SP194/204 cam,fully ported intake & heads ,Precision housing with Power plate,msd 50`s,Vigilante Lockup converter.The 204/214 has the highest HP & Torque on my motor info.But the average HP & Torque dropped off.That`s why I chose the 194/204 cam.
I want the highest average Torque & HP cam from 3,600 to 5,400
rpm range.(The 204/214 had approx. 8 HP & 8 lbs.Torque more)
;)

do you remember what the power range was for the 204/214?? Also what is the best place to get the SP cams? (I also need part numbers) Thanks for all of the info so far!!

194/204

Hello,I just could`nt resist to chime in.This cam idles great and exhaust at idle sounded quieter.Pulls very strong city driving with great throttle response and running on highway @22 psi boost with alky it pulls like gangbusters.As for the dyno info,from Summit Racing.I just input the compression ratio,heads,intake & length intake runner,TB,turbo,intercooler,boost level,cam selection specs.to view hp,torque,and other info too much to list.
I`m using TE61,Cas fm,70 mm tb,7.75:1 compression ratio,
TRW piston,steel main centers,rollmaster double roller,SP194/204 cam,fully ported intake & heads ,Precision housing with Power plate,msd 50`s,Vigilante Lockup converter.The 204/214 has the highest HP & Torque on my motor info.But the average HP & Torque dropped off.That`s why I chose the 194/204 cam.
I want the highest average Torque & HP cam from 3,600 to 5,400
rpm range.(The 204/214 had approx. 8 HP & 8 lbs.Torque more)
;)
What a cool post .. anyone still use this type of program from way back in the good ol stone age?

I love my 206/206 Comp cam. I am a lot like you, I slowly and methodically plan and build her for my needs. I like the best bang for the buck. I have limited my HP so to not rebuild again. She is now bullet prove. This cam will take me into the low 11's. I detune to be safe and consistent. I go to the track once a year just to let it all hang out. All the other times I like my stop light to stop light runs. This cam spools up the turbo fast enough. Any faster I would have to runs slicks all the time. The 206/206 gives me the low end power to enjoy spinning the tires at each shift with out the danger of turning around and looking toward were I came from. Good luck with your build.

If your stock cam is still good and all 12 lifter bottoms are convex, DON'T change it! If you have good original parts and can't afford to go roller, leave it be.

Let me congratulate you on doing a search, most people don't even bother... When you've got a few minutes do a search for 'wiped cam' and 'flat cam' and look how many of them were new installs.

I just put a Comp Cams 206/206 in mine, and its fine. I now run ZDDP additive, as I dont want another wiped lope like I found on my original cam.