Cal Hartline (West Coast Nationals)

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
I want to give a BIG THANKS to Cal and everything he did for us at the West Coast Nationals. I know everyone was very happy with his service as usual. I cant thank him enough for everything he did for me personally.

Not only did Cal tune cars at the track he even got dirty and turned some wrenches.

If anyone needs a XFI or tune for their XFI look no further then Cal. He wont sell you something you wont need and he is always there to help.

Thanks again Cal and we will get there in time ;)

Thanks everyone. I had a great time out in AZ. Boost231 has the most impressive HA car I have ever come across (sorry Eric). I expect big things out of that car once he buttons up a couple loose ends

damn headers :) time to get them fixed and get back to the track.

thanks cal, hearing that coming from you means alot. with out you the car would have went another direction (intercooled). thanks for putting me in check.

Though I run a stock computer, it was a pleasure meeting you and was also extremely interesting watching you work.

You are truly an artist and a gifted craftsman.

Thanks everyone. I had a great time out in AZ. Boost231 has the most impressive HA car I have ever come across (sorry Eric). I expect big things out of that car once he buttons up a couple loose ends

LOL, yeah an aluminum stage II block with all the trimmings is definitely impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how that puppy runs

guy, cal is fast at what he does thats for sure.

eric, lol your killin me.

;) eric, sounds like you are hearing rumors about my car. so whats the word on street? kind of funny to hear. i change a few things sell, a few things and now the guessing game and rumors. wonder who the source is? anywwys once i get my headers fixed and get some more testing done we will see how my steup does. lots of one off parts but they can be made again for cheaper so we can keep these cars alive. one thing for sure is keep and eye on those modded intakes. flow bench data is just that. now we need real world data. i will keep everyone posted, if anyone has question whats really up or needs help you can always call me.

Just someone I know saw a hot air car with a TA block in it when he was out west recently. I guess it wasn't yours

My hotair motor is at the engine shop right now. I have a loner motor in there till its done. i wanted to make the WCN so that got put in there so i can get cal to figure out whats going on with my tune and some other issues i was having.

Just someone I know saw a hot air car with a TA block in it when he was out west recently. I guess it wasn't yours

Yes you did see a TA block in Boost231 cars. It is mine. I just had it build so I could take out my low milage motor and run more boost safely. He had a last minute issue with his motor due to a bad converter that messed up his thrust bearing. I did not want to see a friend miss another buick event 2 years in a row due to motor issues. Pluse he got to do a short break in for me. Also it will give him a good starting point on his tune due to CAL comming out to tune it. I cant wait to put the new motor in my car over the winter. Im glad to see you were impressed with it.

Wow, really thought you were going all the way Brent. Any car (especially a hotair) with a TA block would be the ultimate build in my book.
I can't say I fully understand getting a base tune using someone else's engine, however I'm sure it makes sense.

Good luck to both of you! If Cal's impressed I'm sure there's some great things getting ready to happen over there.

why would you get a base tune on a completely different engine.???? unless you planning on building that exact same engine with cam specs blah blah that the same..

very interesting....

QWK. You getting a XFI so you can use that base tune up thats in boost231's car as a starting point?

wow you guys must be very energetic out there swapping motors from car to car :) just to break them in.:)

BYW how big is that TA motor? is it a 3.8 or a 4.5l i assume it's a 4 inch bore with a 3.625 crank since it costs the same in either combo? (block that is)

why would you get a base tune on a completely different engine.???? unless you planning on building that exact same engine with cam specs blah blah that the same..

very interesting....

QWK. You getting a XFI so you can use that base tune up thats in boost231's car as a starting point?

wow you guys must be very energetic out there swapping motors from car to car :) just to break them in.:)

BYW how big is that TA motor? is it a 3.8 or a 4.5l i assume it's a 4 inch bore with a 3.625 crank since it costs the same in either combo? (block that is)
Maybe they have nothing but time and money out there, a lot of work just to get a tune, but hey crazier things have happened I would have to guess.

so here is the deal,

i was having issues with my old motor. cal was able to play with the tune in this setup to see what was going on with my car.

I thought i was a intake issue and it seems to be. what he did with this motor will help me with my motor since we saw it was a issue with the intake and now that can be corrected.

as for the base tune, i doubt qwkrtnu will be running it as its going to be way different with a intercooled setup.

But you guys got me thinking, i might sell my iron block and move up to a alum block since all i have is time and money :confused:

jamie, are you serious. im about done with this post.

if this is a Intake issue i would like to know about it. I have posted a ton of info about these intakes and done a crap load of work on them, I also flowed your current intake(arizonagn's ) and also flowed your old intake.

Did both intake's have the same issues? cause if they did something else has got to be going on as one was gasket ported and the other was gutted/ hard blocked / ported. You really have my attention now.

Is this the first engine that intake was on.(arizonagn) I flowed that intake last nov. you think that intake hurt the thrust bearing?

please share this info as i have shared info regarding this subject.

i will continue this in the intake thread. the motor got hurt (head gasket) and was going to fix it, pulled the motor to find not only a head gasket but the thrust was hurt as well. motor was in the car over 5 years. im guessing one of the 2 converters i had in the car was the issue. anyways since this thread is getting way of topic im going to post else where.

this was a thread saying thanks to cal.

THANK YOU CAL

My pleasure Boost231. I'll make sure QWKRTNU gets an XFI when the time comes ;)