Building a torque plate... Need accurate dimentions...

Understood! Too bad though :-(

here are the basic dimensions for the holes taken from the original factory drawings--------several things to keep in mind--------looking at my torque plate the outside dimensions are 6 X 14.5 and they are 1.8" thick cast iron like the block----------the outside dimensions shown as 14.72 x 5.08 are for a fixture I made for my flowbench so they should be ignored---------another thing not shown but probably important---------I have several brands of torque plates and all of the bolt holes have counterbores on both top and bottom of the plates--------on the bottom next to the block the counterbore is .020 deep by .700 dia--------on the top the counterbores are .550 deep by .988 dia---------the cylinder bores are sized based on what dia you are going to bore for and are typically about .020 oversize-------ie if you are going to bore 3.820 you would make the plate bore 3.840----------all bolt holes are .482 not .470 as shown..................RC

Attachments

• Head bolt pattern.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Head bolt pattern.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 77
just realized as i was posting that i forgot to look up the dimensions for the extra 9 - 14 holes for stage heads---------i will get to that this weekend hopefully-------lots of folks coming to the shop with projects..............RC

Rich,

I'm taking a intuitive guess but I believe the other two extra bolt holes for each bore on a 14 bolt pattern should line up directly above and below each bore center... Correct?

Also the distance from the bore center to each center of these two extra bolt holes should be the same distance as the other bolt holes... Correct?

From this I think I can work out where the other two bolt holes for each bore go. Let me know if that is correct.

Thanks,

Don

OK.. Here is my original 3D drawings of the torque plate I did up in solidworks.

Attachments

• Torque Plate Bottom.pdf
    162 KB · Views: 94
  • Torque Plate Top.pdf
    170.7 KB · Views: 149
Rich,

I'm taking a intuitive guess but I believe the other two extra bolt holes for each bore on a 14 bolt pattern should line up directly above and below each bore center... Correct?

Also the distance from the bore center to each center of these two extra bolt holes should be the same distance as the other bolt holes... Correct?

From this I think I can work out where the other two bolt holes for each bore go. Let me know if that is correct.

Thanks,

Don

i am on the road this week and cannot answer your question for sure-------they are at 12 and 6 oclock but i believe the distance from bore center is not the same as the other 8 bolts--------perhaps someone else can give you that data if you need it quickly

Yes.. Took a look at a head gasket and It looks like the 12 o'clock hole locations are a little close to the bore center than the rest.

I measured a cometic head gasket and the hole above the bore (towards the lifter valley) is 2.525" from the bore CL. The hole below the bore is 2.620" below the CL (the same bolt circle as the 4 main head bolts). I'll take Richard's drawing and add that to it tomorrow in cad.