Building a torque plate... Need accurate dimentions...

dlafont

I've got a buddy that has a complete industrial machine shop with all the goodies including a large CNC machine. He wants to do up some torque plates for me.

Does anybody have exact dimentions for the head bolts and bores. I'm sure I can go off my block and heads but I'd rather get it from exact factory specification drawings if I could.

Since you are going to make this plate for a V-6 Buick, I would "assume" it will accommodate all blocks including 14 bolt ones. :)

When TA designed and built their alum block, they had access to Buick's Stage II blueprints, so they may be able to direct you to a good source for the information you need.

The buick blocks have 4.240" bore centers. So, all the bore's and bolt holes in the long direction of the block should be 4.240" apart. Check to be sure. The dowel pins, and dimensions between the top and bottom rows of bolts I have no idea.

The power source book doesn't have any of those dimensions.

PM Waco84GN on the board here. His dad just did this a while ago for their own use and should be able to help you with some of the info.:)

photo (8).JPGphoto (1).JPGphoto (5).JPGphoto (6).JPGphoto6.JPG These are the drawings my dad made before machining the plates. They're only for 8 bolt heads though.

photo (1).JPG

I've got a buddy that has a complete industrial machine shop with all the goodies including a large CNC machine. He wants to do up some torque plates for me.

Does anybody have exact dimentions for the head bolts and bores. I'm sure I can go off my block and heads but I'd rather get it from exact factory specification drawings if I could.

i have original factory engineering drawings for the buick V6 blocks and heads----------give me a call at the shop some evening and i can get copies of them for you------------336-570-0341......RC

i have original factory engineering drawings for the buick V6 blocks and heads----------give me a call at the shop some evening and i can get copies of them for you------------336-570-0341......RC

Any chance you could scan and post them for us all to reference when needed? I'm a TTA guy so interested in the block as the heads are different (unless you have the blueprints for the TTA heads as well).

Any chance you could scan and post them for us all to reference when needed? I'm a TTA guy so interested in the block as the heads are different (unless you have the blueprints for the TTA heads as well).
its not that easy----------these are actual working blueprints and spread out on the floor side by side they are over 10 feet long--------i was just going to try to copy the parts pertinent to the head bolt pattern

Hey Richard.......Snap a high res. digital photo and post that. I'd love to see the actual GM drawings. I work with engineering drawings (3D) and would like to see how "real" drawings look. All the drawings I use to use were 2D and really miss them. (747 days) I don't like the 3D stuff. (787) Waste of time in my opinion when building aircraft. Takes too long to load. Great for engineers, but too complicated for use knuckle draggers building the plane. LOOOOOOONG ago I use to use real "blue" prints, too. (not at Boeing, though)
I also agree with Mike Licht. A head gasket is all you really need to copy anyway. Lay a gasket on a hunk of steel and start cutting. That's how I built a pressure test fixture.

Kinko's can scan large prints. If it's not rediculous, I might pay for the scanning just to get a copy.

its not that easy----------these are actual working blueprints and spread out on the floor side by side they are over 10 feet long--------i was just going to try to copy the parts pertinent to the head bolt pattern

Yep that's the challange with those old blue-prints ... however as others said, being an engineer myself, I would love to see them ... and would be happy to pitch in some $$$ if you take them to kinkos or similar place where they have those roll-feed scanners and can sort you out.

What date are on the last revision of those drawings?

Yep that's the challange with those old blue-prints ... however as others said, being an engineer myself, I would love to see them ... and would be happy to pitch in some $$$ if you take them to kinkos or similar place where they have those roll-feed scanners and can sort you out.

What date are on the last revision of those drawings?

I plan to post the info necessary to make the torque plate late today or tomorrow--------as for the plans i believe the date is 85 but dont remember exactly----------anyhow the agreement that i made to get them to begin with forbids me from distributing copies--------but if you come to the TB event in may anyone is welcome to look them over