Buick is hurt! Sound inside!

BadBuick

Well my luck with cars continues....

was coming home today from the shop and ran the car up through the gears on a nice open spot. When I let out, the knock detector starts going nuts! There is some crazy knocking/screeching coming from the motor now. I limp it home slowly, but it isn't looking good. Take a listen to it and tell me what you think. I am assumming the worst, bearings, but not everything adds up....

Here it is in Mpeg Audio format, ~160k....

http://www.oldwestracing.com/audio/buicksound.mpa

Here it is in wave format, ~646k, in case the first doesn't work for you....

http://www.oldwestracing.com/audio/buicksound.wav

Here is the details on the car...

http://www.oldwestracing.com/cars/paulc.htm

Oil pressure looks good and the car seems to run smooth. I pulled the belt off just to make sure it wasn't an accessory, though I was pretty sure anyway. I also pulled the tranny dust cover off to check the flywheel/convertor, but didn't see anything obvious. It really sounds like it is coming from the pan, but it is very hard to tell for sure. It is LOUD though!

Anyone got any thoughts or input? Ever heard a bearing sound like that?

I'm pretty upset as I've got one car in the garage tore apart fixing stupid stuff, and a brand new baby that is taking most of my time. This was my daily driver and things just went from bad to worse. It seems like I can't get away from one catastrophe before another one shows up!

Thanks for any ideas/input

stick a fork in it my friend, its done, that sound is the crankshaft being chewed up. :( dude, even my wife knows that sound, she has heard it more than one time:(

Well, my four year old daughter says...

"I don't like that song Daddy." :D

Doesn't sound very good to her either & I agree.

It does have a high-pitched accessory screech to it though like a power steering pump or water pump?

When I was limping it home (about 8 miles) all I could see was the vision of the crank being turned to dust :( That is high on my expectation list, but I'm still trying to keep up hope.

WarpSpeed -- cam lifter? I'm not sure about that. The sound is just so stinking loud. All the neighbors turn their heads when I start it. There is a knock, but the screeching? What might make this sound in the cam/lifter area?

MeanBuicks -- LOL tell your daughter I don''t like it either! LOL Definately has that accessory sound. But I pulled the belt and started it. No difference. It didn't sound like it was coming from the front, but I had to rule it out. The only other thing I can dream up besides the bearings is convertor/flywheel. If it is, it is internal, and I just can't see what in the tranny area would let it make such an ungodly noise, unless something is rubbing. It runs/drives fine, and no metal shavings in the dust cover. Really sounds like it is coming from the oil pan area, but it is so loud that it is hard to tell.

Every time I've ever had a bearing go bad, it would knock, then if it ever started screeching, that was when it was actually seizing up. It wouldn't go far at all after that. But this thing starts and runs fine :confused: Of course it might not again at any time...

Hoping to get another vehicle in my raggedy fleet running tomorrow to drive till I can tear into this. I am sure hating things right now :mad:

Originally posted by quick85
stick a fork in it my friend, its done, that sound is the crankshaft being chewed up. :( dude, even my wife knows that sound, she has heard it more than one time:(

I have to agree. Mine didn't sound that bad - it was just a knock. But, I did have a 301 Pontiac that sounded that way. I think it's a rod bearing gone bad. It's hard to hear the knock over the squeak, but it's there.

Sorry....

Jim

Spun rod bearing no doubt about it. I've heard it on three different occasions. Good luck.

Oh well, just a day in the life of a Buick owner I suppose...

Breakin' is just a good reason to upgrade...now where did I put those catalogs....

BadBuicks

I Love your atitude:)
"Breakin' is just a good reason to upgrade...now where did I put those catalogs"

Now if I could only get my wife to see it that way.........:D

Try this

Cut open oil filter and check for metal, or drain oil and see if there's metal in it.That will tell you for sure. It kind of sounds like your flexplate hitting the TC cover.Good luck!

Could also be compression spitting out through a blown head gasket venting to the outside. I had a 455 that sounded like that when the heads were not properly torqued down. Just thought I would try to give you a ray of hope.:)

:eek: That is the worst thing that I have ever heard in my life! It sounds like torture. Fix it please!

Good luck :)

Take a peek at the sides of the block where the head meets the block. Shim head gaskets sound like that when they blow outside the motor.

Motor sounds pretty smooth for a binding crank. Does the sound change in gear? Maybe the drive on the converter cracked and the bushing is making that noise, although it sounds like "lighter" metal. Like a shield of some sort touching, which is kinda what makes me thing shim head gasket.

sound

oooooh, my ears!

it sounds like something Jim describes OR ...
did u change your alternator belt or check it for thightness recently? i've had it loosen on mine and the alt. fan hits the bracket making that EXACT noise - like something is getting milled or on a lathe. HTH...

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

Still havent' had time to pull it apart....

Been trying to get the Mustang out of the garage so I can fit the Buick in and check it out (darn Fords, always in the way).

But i did start it up again today to let a buddy hear it. I still don't think it is a bearing. The audio clip doesn't really do justice as to how loud this is. It echos through the neighborhood! In the clip, I start the car, and stand back about 10 feet, but it still doesn't give it the full effect. If it is a bearing, it is louder than anyone I've ever heard before. Plus, the car starts and runs fine. If it was a bearing seizing up, surely it would have done it by now :confused:

I'm leaning to the tranny area again....or should I say hoping....

I'm 100% sure it's not an accessory. Pulled the belt and started the motor. Does the same thing with all the accessories disabled.

I might go out tomorrow and throw it in gear to see if it changes, but I didn't notice it making any difference on the drive home. Doesn't seem to drive any different, motor or tranny wise, but the noise is frightening :eek:

Thanks for all the ideas....hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this in the next day or so.

If you suspect the transmission/converter a quick test would be to remove the three converter-to-flexplate bolts. Push the converter back into the transmission, away from the flexplate, and start the car again.

I know you said the oil pressure was good.
But is it possible that the gears are chewing into something or there is a bent rod on the pump?
Just a thought

I'd stethiscope it if I was you.
Small piece of 2x4 or a mechanics steth from sears will work.
Helps to pinpoint your loud noises.
At any rate.
I hope it's not serious.
Good Luck.