Breaking in a new motor.

Don't have a gauge for that yet but the shop did do the wrong cam bearings so I had to do the oil bypass on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get one on it if it was me especially on a new build the only way to have an idea whats going on.

Ok so I checked my oil pressure and it's good. Sitting around 65 when cold and the tick is still there any ideas next?

what about warmed up mine makes some noise its worse in the drivers seat than outside

If it's a valvetrain tick, I'd look towards pushrod length not oil pressure.

Or if you're really lucky you broke a rocker shaft and an outside rocker is curled up

That was my next step was the push rid length. But it looks like I'm not getting any oil to the heads. Not very much anyways.

Oil to the heads gets there from the hole in the pushrods. The length won't affect that.

I think it's time to do some investigation as to why they aren't oiling.

Did the shop tap and install pipe plugs in the front oil gallery? If so, they may have blocked off oil flow if they used a standard plug on the he passenger side of the block. When you said they had to install an oil by-pass, what exactly did they do? On 109 blocks, you don't need any special cam bearings as the front cam journal has an oil transfer grove machined into it.

What cam is in the engine? Roller or flat tappet? If its a roller you have the wrong front cam bearing. And will need to pull the trans, and flywheel, then install a transfer tube between the rear oil gallery plugs.

I did that transfer on the backside of the engine. It's a double roller cam. We're is the front oil gallery located?

The plugs are behind the cam gear. One on each side of the cam bore. Around 10:00 and 2:00.

factory is push in plugs that should be staked. I like threaded pipe plugs better but you have to be careful and not go very deep on the passenger side.

You keep calling it a double roller cam .
Double roller usually refers to the timing chain setup.
You should list specifically what cam you have (company and part # if possible)and was it bought as a kit with all matching/ compatible parts ?

Last edited:
Sorry. I have the paper work on the cam I'll get it. As far as the kit I did buy it as a kit from full throttle speed. For the plug I used 90 degree plug and a brake line.