BP Oil Video live feed.....

Companies cut corners all the time to save money in the short term and then end up with a problem that is much more costly in the long run. Most people can watch the media and make a good decision on what they are watching and who is really at fault in a situation.

Pete

Ok so why didnt the "engineer" plan for a entire cotastrophe:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Call me simple minded but that might have been a good idea......;)

There are plans in place with lots of redundancy. Nobody ever expects the rig to burn down. All of the plans are to prevent precisely that.

JOHNDEEREGN said:
Actually my statement is true,,,, Blob will probably want me to post his name and credentials in a Public Forum

I remember he was the reason I had Shane make it so I cannot see the PV forum anymore as well......

You've got me mixed up with someone else... seriously. I went out of my way NOT to be a dickhead over there.

Reggie West said:
OK then how did the rig turn into a fireball and environmental catastrophe?

Nobody really knows for sure yet. But what's not helping anything is Congressional investigations and the like while they are still trying to get it fixed. There will be plenty of time for all of that later. They should be allowing everybody to direct their undivided attention toward getting it fixed instead of hauling people into hearings so politicians can use it to advance their own agendas.

Then there is the media... they are actually making it worse.

Bottom line... Drilling those wells is extremely complex and, obviously, not without risk. Just as obviously, mistakes were made. But lets hold off on crucifying BP until they determine what went wrong. Remember, it's in both the media's and the politician's best interests to turn BP into some sort of heartless money grubbing villain rather than just accepting the fact that when you do something extremely complex and difficult, sometimes things just go wrong.

Maybe BP actually was grossly negligent... but I highly doubt it.

Just because someone has "engineer" in their job title, doesn't mean they know what the F they are doing...

This is the result of "green lawmakers" forcing offshore drilling SO DEEP.

If we were closer, and less deep ... things like this may STILL happen ... but they would be WAY MORE CONTROLLABLE ---

This is the result of "green lawmakers" forcing offshore drilling SO DEEP.

If we were closer, and less deep ... things like this may STILL happen ... but they would be WAY MORE CONTROLLABLE ---

if by "green" you mean "as long as i can't see it from my district", then you are probably correct.
just like Ted Kennedy and the wind farms that would have been visible from his house..

Just because someone has "engineer" in their job title, doesn't mean they know what the F they are doing...

Bingo. Most of them are mechanically retarded. As a whole, engineers design a lot of stupid bullsh*t that "works in theory". This is basically no good in REAL LIFE, where a tech or assembler or toolmaker ect. has to re-engineer or modify the original "Engineer"s design just to get something to fit or even work. Most Engineers and Designers are full of sh*t and love to toot their own horn constantly. Not all of them, but 9 out of 10 that I have ever come in contact with. Engineers love to use big words too. Basically English majors who wanted to feel more manly about themselves.

Sorry about the rant, didn't mean to tread on your pissing match.

A good example is auto engineers. Don't we constantly complain about where certain parts are located in the engine bay or how difficult it is to work on a certain part because they didn't take into context the "real world" factor? I'm starting to believe this is what happened with the oil rig explosion. Not enough attention to detail to "real world" situations to save the all-mighty dollar. Feel free to dis-agree with me as this is just my view on it.:)

Being in the oil industry for 10 years I can tell you Blob is dead on.

As far as engineers go, like it or not, no major corporation will put production/profits/safety in the hand of "uneducated" employees. Engineers mainly developed what our world is today.

Being in the oil industry for 10 years I can tell you Blob is dead on.

As far as engineers go, like it or not, no major corporation will put production/profits/safety in the hand of "uneducated" employees. Engineers mainly developed what our world is today.

i must have been hiding under a rock because i just heard about this spill on saterday.I have devised a fix or a containment for the leaky oil and i have emailed bp and osama

Nobody really knows for sure yet. But what's not helping anything is Congressional investigations and the like while they are still trying to get it fixed. There will be plenty of time for all of that later. They should be allowing everybody to direct their undivided attention toward getting it fixed instead of hauling people into hearings so politicians can use it to advance their own agendas.

Then there is the media... they are actually making it worse.

Bottom line... Drilling those wells is extremely complex and, obviously, not without risk. Just as obviously, mistakes were made. But lets hold off on crucifying BP until they determine what went wrong. Remember, it's in both the media's and the politician's best interests to turn BP into some sort of heartless money grubbing villain rather than just accepting the fact that when you do something extremely complex and difficult, sometimes things just go wrong.

Maybe BP actually was grossly negligent... but I highly doubt it.

They have said what happened but of course the media only put the info out there 1 time and then went back to doom and gloom.

From what I gathered, they hit an extememly high pressure methane pocket. Pressure inside the drilling column was in the 30,000psi range and the pressure spiked much higher than that. The pressure blew out the contents of the drilling column and the methane is what caused the explosion.

I'm not sure what caused the BOP to fail but if it's hit with a pressure spike that's well over 30,000psi I'm sure it can cause some serious damage.

They have said what happened but of course the media only put the info out there 1 time and then went back to doom and gloom.

From what I gathered, they hit an extememly high pressure methane pocket. Pressure inside the drilling column was in the 30,000psi range and the pressure spiked much higher than that. The pressure blew out the contents of the drilling column and the methane is what caused the explosion.

I'm not sure what caused the BOP to fail but if it's hit with a pressure spike that's well over 30,000psi I'm sure it can cause some serious damage.

Dusty, I was told, and not sure if it's true that the pressure reached as high as 60,000 psi. Again, not sure as to the reliability, but one thing is for sure...If it was a gas kick it was a helluva lot more than anything anyone had ever seen before.

Dusty, I was told, and not sure if it's true that the pressure reached as high as 60,000 psi. Again, not sure as to the reliability, but one thing is for sure...If it was a gas kick it was a helluva lot more than anything anyone had ever seen before.

I haven't seen any official numbers but I was told the same. Pressure spiked to the 60-70,000 psi range.

I love this part

The document
describes a wide array of mistakes in the fateful final hours aboard the Deepwater Horizon—but the main revelation is that BP now says there was a clear warning sign of a "very large abnormality" in the well, but work proceeded anyway.

I have heard horror stories of incidents both on and offshore drilling where work just went right on. Buddy of mine saw the crown of a land rig dropped on a dude, back to work in a couple of hours. He also left a rig that ended up exploding because of a gas kick. Said he told the driller, wonder why the mud is going down at 12lbs and coming back at 8lbs.......

I have a good friend that travels all over the world and does safety and procedures on oil platforms. He said that the company of the platform that went down (not BP trans ocean i believe) is the cutting edge and leader in safety.

He said there is NO WAY they could not have seen it coming on their instruments.
Human eror and someone was most likely being a cowboy and not paying attention or ignoring the signs of whats coming up the pipe.