Borgeson Jeep steering shaft upgrade ?

lrayzer

Shop Dawg Emma
I have seen alot of trafic on the Jeep steering shaft upgrade, from the 85-96 Cherokee, that being said and that I don't like used parts, has anyone used the Borgeson 000893 Steering Shaft ?
My trepidation is that on the Buick we may be retracting the units a bit, whereas the aftermarket unit does not appear to have as much slip, the manufacturer of course does not recognize this interchange.
either way I have found them for $228.00 brand new.

I just bought and received a Jeep unit from seller G-Boz here on this site. It arrived and looked like new. I understand your trepidation about used parts, but I had bad experience with reproduction parts as well.

Then you can answer the question, did you have to extend or collapse the shaft any appreciable amount ?

Alas, I haven't installed mine yet, but I can send you a comparison of both shafts if you'd like.

LOL, it's why I ordered mine less all undercoating, just looking for dimensional stuff, OAL.

Yes you will have to either Extend or collapse the new shaft in order to get it in so my advice is to spray WD-40 or oil it up and let it soak in for a day or two before you plan to install it...

I have seen alot of trafic on the Jeep steering shaft upgrade, from the 85-96 Cherokee, that being said and that I don't like used parts, has anyone used the Borgeson 000893 Steering Shaft ?
My trepidation is that on the Buick we may be retracting the units a bit, whereas the aftermarket unit does not appear to have as much slip, the manufacturer of course does not recognize this interchange.
either way I have found them for $228.00 brand new.
I have not seen the Borgensen jeep shafts but we sell one from DSE that is Specifically for our cars that is $240 that has been on my car for over a year now and it works / looks great. http://www.gnsperformance.com/products/suspen_front_steeringshaft.html

What are the advantages of the shaft upgrade from stock?Thanks
I installed one of the jeep cherokee steering shafts in my GN, it will make the steering feel tighter and more responsive. The jeep shaft uses a universal joint
your stock steering shaft uses a "rag" joint, Depending on the condition of your rag joint, you will notice a tighter feel to the steering when doing the jeep shaft upgrade.

Nobody wants their shaft on the rag, tighter is better, steering response wise.
Second benefit is a little more clearance for header tubes etc.
I personally like Borgeson products and the compactness of their components, usually in stainless, just a personal choice.

I would go with the Dse shaft.Being that it made for our cars and we can get it from a vendor. The Borgenson part is made for a Jeep not a Buick so you dont know how far it can collaspe. They are both made from steel so they will have to painted so the dont rust up.

I installed the DSE shaft and boy, what a difference! The steering is now very confident and direct. No play and almost BMW like.

The rag joint after 25 years, well just felt.. raggedy.